BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Beware, Auto Braking is Dangerous!

07-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #23
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
It would have to be well below 40mph, since the threshold to potentially avoid a collision is 45 km/h. It will still activate at up to 60km/h, but again the deceleration is only 4m/s (8.95 mph per second) which is insufficient to prevent a collision but will "mitigate" the severity.

If you go out for a drive, find a straight road with no traffic. Set the cruise control to 40mph. Then, press and HOLD the decel button. This is the same rate at which Active Guard decelerates at above 20mph. It isn't abrupt at all. Setting the Warning level only affects the aural and visual indicators. It doesn't change the actual semi-autonomous interventions.
Understood. What is the "decel" button, the electronic parking brake switch?

It sound like it is what you mean; when the car automatically decelerates it is very abrupt and not smooth at all, the car shudders etc. which tells me ABS is not employed, just brute force braking via the parking brake... (I could be wrong of course but that is how it feels)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:49 AM   #24
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Quote:
It would have to be well below 40mph, since the threshold to potentially avoid a collision is 45 km/h. It will still activate at up to 60km/h, but again the deceleration is only 4m/s (8.95 mph per second) which is insufficient to prevent a collision but will "mitigate" the severity.

If you go out for a drive, find a straight road with no traffic. Set the cruise control to 40mph. Then, press and HOLD the decel button. This is the same rate at which Active Guard decelerates at above 20mph. It isn't abrupt at all. Setting the Warning level only affects the aural and visual indicators. It doesn't change the actual semi-autonomous interventions.
Understood. What is the "decel" button, the electronic parking brake switch?

It sound like it is what you mean; when the car automatically decelerates it is very abrupt and not smooth at all, the car shudders etc. which tells me ABS is not employed, just brute force braking via the parking brake... (I could be wrong of course but that is how it feels)
The decel button is the (-) on the steering wheel. Hold it all the way down (past the first detent) and don't release. This activates the braking function of the cruise control which decelerates at the same rate as Active Guard.

I'm saying that above 20mph, the deceleration is NOT abrupt. It's startling, but not physically violent. If you do the test above, the startle factor is eliminated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #25
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The decel button is the (-) on the steering wheel. Hold it all the way down (past the first detent) and don't release. This activates the braking function of the cruise control which decelerates at the same rate as Active Guard.

I'm saying that above 20mph, the deceleration is NOT abrupt. It's startling, but not physically violent. If you do the test above, the startle factor is eliminated.
OK thanks... I know that feeling (I use it from time to time to really slow my car down for road works and average cameras )
Even when done from fast to very slow, it NEVER skids with wheel lock

But I still maintain this:-
- The new G30 is too strict with auto-braking (unnecessarily so in my view), it occurs way before any danger is posed
- It is too violent, the wheel locks and skids, it is very unpleasant..

Thanks for the facts though, enlightening
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #26
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Quote:

OK thanks... I know that feeling (I use it from time to time to really slow my car down for road works and average cameras )
Even when done from fast to very slow, it NEVER skids with wheel lock

But I still maintain this:-
- The new G30 is too strict with auto-braking (unnecessarily so in my view), it occurs way before any danger is posed
- It is too violent, the wheel locks and skids, it is very unpleasant..

Thanks for the facts though, enlightening
Are you interpreting the brake pedal vibration when auto-braking finally intervenes to mean ABS activation? If that's the case, that's not what it is. The pedal will vibrate at a very rapid pulse because it wants the driver to immediately intervene.

I'm accustomed to the occasional erroneous Collision Mitigation Auto-Braking (which is twice as aggressive in an ACC equipped vehicle), but I can honestly say that I've never had a single Daytime Pedestrian Intervention occur in 5 years/5 continents with over a dozen different BMW's. Without ACC, the deceleration rate is 4 m/s (same as holding the cruise control in the decel braking mode). A full ABS stop is over 12 m/s.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #27
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

I only found a disadvantage when I park near some bush.. it doesnt let me drive near sidewalk because my car autobrakes because of the branches

First when it happened I thought I crashed because the breaks stopped car in "last moment" and it was really "heavy stop"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #28
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 View Post
I don't have the driving assistance plus and my car did this while I was doing a U-turn. No cars in sight beside the parked cars. While reversing it slammed on the brakes, I almost shat myself. I had no idea what happened I thought I hit a car. After changing the setting to delayed I have not had this issues since.
You can shut reverse stop off in idrive settings. I turned mine off because driveway is on an incline and car kept stopping as i backed out.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:04 AM   #29
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you interpreting the brake pedal vibration when auto-braking finally intervenes to mean ABS activation? If that's the case, that's not what it is. The pedal will vibrate at a very rapid pulse because it wants the driver to immediately intervene.

I'm accustomed to the occasional erroneous Collision Mitigation Auto-Braking (which is twice as aggressive in an ACC equipped vehicle), but I can honestly say that I've never had a single Daytime Pedestrian Intervention occur in 5 years/5 continents with over a dozen different BMW's. Without ACC, the deceleration rate is 4 m/s (same as holding the cruise control in the decel braking mode). A full ABS stop is over 12 m/s.
"Are you interpreting the brake pedal vibration when auto-braking finally intervenes to mean ABS activation?", no, on the contrary, I am 100% certain it is not ABS quite the opposite... and it is not the brake pedal vibrating/ shaking... my foot is nowhere near the pedal when this issue occurs...

The symptom is that the car shudders and brakes with a skid, i.e. the wheels suddenly lock fully for a millisecond (hence no ABS)

I am all for safety by the way, but my 'complaint' is that it does its thing when it is not necessary and is disconcerting
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #30
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
What does the warning look like? Just once I saw a red warning pictogram flash on the dashboard (didn't notice it in the HUD if it was there) but it has never happened again and I didn't know what it was. Could this have been the auto braking? I don't recall if the brakes were applied at the time.
Red car icon, red car icon flashing + sound and then mb autobeak? Happened to me only once - flashing red car icon when I have been overtaking after turning left (I have been turning left, there was car incomming in my lane and one car stayed on the left prepared to turn left from second strape)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #31
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

lawyers are going to make a killing in the next 10-20 years with this type of technology in cars and with autonomous driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 06:28 AM   #32
Sblewis2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Exclamation BMW dangerous braking

2022 BMW X5 Adaptive Cruise Control (a very expensive option) will not reliably stop or accelerate your BMW. That means it is dangerous and unsafe.
This system if left to stop your vehicle will crash a occupants into a stopped vehicle.
Not safe to use in traffic, not safe on the highway, it’s not safe, period.
How is BMW permitted to sell an advanced cruise control system, that is to safely stop and accelerate a bmw if it doesn’t?
If it can’t stop a vehicle autonomously with a driver actively engaged, what distinguishes this from standard cruise control that requires a driver to be fully engaged.
In 2022, and since 2000, this is not advanced cutting edge technology.
DONT BY A BMW, THEY DONT CARE IF THEY ARE SELLING A DANGEROUS SYSTEM. I WOULD NOT USE THIS SYSTEM IF IT WAS FREE.
Brakes have to work 100% of the time. Anything less when it comes to braking your vehicle is VERY DANGEROUS.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #33
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sblewis2 View Post
2022 BMW X5 Adaptive Cruise Control (a very expensive option) will not reliably stop or accelerate your BMW. That means it is dangerous and unsafe.
This system if left to stop your vehicle will crash a occupants into a stopped vehicle.
Not safe to use in traffic, not safe on the highway, it’s not safe, period.
How is BMW permitted to sell an advanced cruise control system, that is to safely stop and accelerate a bmw if it doesn’t?
If it can’t stop a vehicle autonomously with a driver actively engaged, what distinguishes this from standard cruise control that requires a driver to be fully engaged.
In 2022, and since 2000, this is not advanced cutting edge technology.
DONT BY A BMW, THEY DONT CARE IF THEY ARE SELLING A DANGEROUS SYSTEM. I WOULD NOT USE THIS SYSTEM IF IT WAS FREE.
Brakes have to work 100% of the time. Anything less when it comes to braking your vehicle is VERY DANGEROUS.
My 2019 stops just fine; a little closer than I would like, but it does stop. AFAICT, it doesn't start, I have to press the loud pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 06:37 PM   #34
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
I’ve experienced a false alert like this, too. It’s always happened when pedestrians are close to the side of the vehicle and I’m turning the wheel. I’ve never had it happen moving straight.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #35
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I recently had a similar experience - travelling at about 90 km/h with a car well ahead of me, one car coming in the opposite direction. Although I was travelling straight, my car (2018 540 ix) suddenly breaked heavily, I got the red car sign on the dash and the sound beeper was on. All this happened only for a split second and than the car drove as if nothing ever happened. No pedestrians and luckily no car behind by back. Any ideas what could have been the cause? My car does not have ACC nor a radar below the bumper, it only has the cameras in my windscreen.
Appreciate 0