BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Tint - How to decide which type and what % to get?

08-26-2017, 02:16 AM   #23
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

this place

is insanely good and inexpensive. I just followed his lead and walked away very happy. I live near bh if you want to see mine in person. pretty sure it was 30% ceramic hybrid of some sort and clear on the front. flawless install. the reviews are not all shills, this guy is that good and cheap

https://www.yelp.com/biz/alex-window-tint-los-angeles-2

Edit: 35% nano carbon ceramic tint, $ 250 cash, front was added later for not much can't remember.

Last edited by M2LA; 08-26-2017 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:42 AM   #24
Xtianh
LA transplant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
is insanely good and inexpensive. I just followed his lead and walked away very happy. I live near bh if you want to see mine in person. pretty sure it was 30% ceramic hybrid of some sort and clear on the front. flawless install. the reviews are not all shills, this guy is that good and cheap

Edit: 35% nano carbon ceramic tint, $ 250 cash, front was added later for not much can't remember.
This guy looks great, thanks for the reference!
      08-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #25
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtianh View Post
This guy looks great, thanks for the reference!
of course. I was going to do another edit stating my interior color and that the 35% is dark enough with black but I guess I don't need to lol. I am a pretty typical la guy, very anal and hard to please. not bragging its just a fact. this guy easily passed my test. its like a chef/restaurant to me, if I want to have it my way I stay at home, when I go out I don't like to quell the creative force. I find good auto shops and let them do their thing. I got my car last oct, what a blast it is, you made a good choice assuming you like to smile and have fun
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #26
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I'm looking for maximal heat reduction and minimal darkness. My eyes are too old, it's hard enough to see at night as it is.
3M Crystalline would be an option for you. From what I've seen, it's somewhat pricey though
      08-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #27
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
3M Crystalline would be an option for you. From what I've seen, it's somewhat pricey though

That's what I'm looking st but so far I haven't found anybody that installs 3M here....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #28
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:

Do you know what the brand or specific film used was? The install job is admittedly a big component of this, but the film used is at least as important, so it would be helpful to know what he's using.

It sounds like you had a good experience, so I doubt it is the case here, but sometimes installers will force you to use a particular brand (that they happen to have stocked) and typically that means it is inferior.
      08-26-2017, 05:15 AM   #29
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post

That's what I'm looking st but so far I haven't found anybody that installs 3M here....
All of my past cars have used 3M colorstable... you just have to keep looking. Like you though, I will insist they use a good brand rather than whatever they have on hand.
      08-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #30
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

If you can find an installer in your area I highly suggest Hüper Optik.

I had this on my previous car and that is what is on both cars in my garage now. Hyper Optik is a german designed film made to reject heat for glass buildings. It is a much thicker film over any film out there. If you can find a dealer who has experience with installs then go check out this film and do a comparison. Once I did that, and put it in front of a heat lamp, I could actually feel less heat with my hand behind the film. I chose this over 3m Crystalline... and I am a big fan of 3M products. I got 30% on all windows, 70% on windshield, and I love it. All my future cars will get Hüper Optik
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #31
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Do you know what the brand or specific film used was? The install job is admittedly a big component of this, but the film used is at least as important, so it would be helpful to know what he's using.

It sounds like you had a good experience, so I doubt it is the case here, but sometimes installers will force you to use a particular brand (that they happen to have stocked) and typically that means it is inferior.
it might be detailed in the booklet he gave me in the glovebox but again i am sort of hands off after I find a person I trust. I told him I wanted the install to reject heat and look good. he said he will back the product and install forever and that if he goes out of business the film warranty stays in place. I left the car there for not even a day, kept the windows up for the weekend and that was that. beside a $10 phone holder for the cd slot its my only upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #32
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I'm planning on doing 20% all around and then 45% on the windshield when my m2 comes in next week
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #33
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I'm looking for maximal heat reduction and minimal darkness. My eyes are too old, it's hard enough to see at night as it is.
You want an IR rejecting film. Beware not all are the same as some reject a greater part of the IR band and they don't publish specs. Read they thread I referenced, it has a lot of great info.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #34
Grayson1098
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Law is 35% in NC, I can get a medical permit to allow 20% and that's exactly what I plan to do
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #35
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post

I just sent a Yelp Quote request asking for brands...doesn't look like (per the Yelp pictures and reviews that he does 3M or Huper). Probably no-name brands...

UGH - Yelp is so dumb...it sent quote requests to multiple places instead of just Alex...haha...so here are a few more data points:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stay-kool-w...nting-la-habra

Quote:
rayno window film and Johnson window films:
Standard blocks: out 40% heat, uv/glare protection $180
ceramic tint : which is more durable film, scratch resistant, blocks out 98% heat, has true color stable. $300
https://www.yelp.com/biz/autoskinz-santa-clarita

Quote:
We carry only 3M window films. Our 3M FX Premium runs $180 on a coupe, our 3M Color Stable runs $295 but is on sale at $245, and 3M Crystalline runs $595 but is on sale for $495. We do not carry the 3M Ceramic line any longer. Most make the jump to Crystalline which is considered to be one of the best if not the best film on the market right now.

All our films have a lifetime warranty.

No affiliation and I can't recommend the above...just posting to get more data on tint prices
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

What do you put on the front? Just something with heat rejection ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #37
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I just tinted at Signature Glass and Tint in Costa Mesa. I chose SGT for their in house (no fault) warranty, laser cutting system and great Yelp reviews. They also offer insurance so if you want to remove the tint (fix it ticket), change the shade... you're covered.

I was looking for decent heat rejection. After reviewing a lot of brands, I chose Matico Black Pearl ceramic IR 55% all around and Suntek CIR 70 on the windshield. I considered Air80, but there's been a lot of reports of scratches and warranty claims. The shop is no longer honoring their in house warranty to the Air80 tint due to these issues.

For me, I didn't want 35% (chose 55%) just decent heat rejection and a black colored tint to accent my AW M2 with black accent/CF bits. Time will tell. My M2 is baking in the SoCal sun right now, curing. I hope the dot matrix on the glass cures and adheres correctly and another trip to their shop isn't needed. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #38
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What do you put on the front? Just something with heat rejection ?
right, the sides were so impressive I had to do something to keep the heat out. no clue what he uses but it worked
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #39
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

He just responded with this:

Quote:
“Hi Josh!!! We charge $200 with standard film any shade on all the windows except the front windshield, We provide lifetime warranty. We use Johnson Window Film Renegade Line.

We also have ceramic the cost is $300 any shade, Ceramic is a good quality film to reduce the heat. We provide lifetime warranty and we use RAYNO NANO CARBON CERAMIC PHANTOM S7 OR S9.

Would you like to make an appointment please let us know. Thank you”
Anybody know anything about Johnson and Rayno? Never heard of them...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #40
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
He just responded with this:

Anybody know anything about Johnson and Rayno? Never heard of them...
oh oh, i know this one..lol..just looked in my car, he did it with rayno. google them, that should do the trick. installers like working with it, that's a +. he responds to cash, count on $ 250 for everything but the front. flawless install, not a single anything and the 35% to my eyes is perfect. another + is that if you do any weed or freebasing the tint does not hold the smell. at twilight its way dark enough to have sex in the car or do an interior tailgate
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #41
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

40% 3M Chrystalline all the way around except the windshield, good tint is essential in AZ. I normally get my windshield done in 20% also because it helps with the heat a ton but it impacts the radar detectors so I didn't do it on this car. 3M has a demo they do a SEMA and some of their shops that uses a heat lamp and demo's different tints, Chrystalline is significantly more effective at blocking heat than typical tints (of course there are several makers of ceramic nano tints that I am sure all work).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 02:51 AM   #42
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
40% 3M Chrystalline all the way around except the windshield, good tint is essential in AZ. I normally get my windshield done in 20% also because it helps with the heat a ton but it impacts the radar detectors so I didn't do it on this car. 3M has a demo they do a SEMA and some of their shops that uses a heat lamp and demo's different tints, Chrystalline is significantly more effective at blocking heat than typical tints (of course there are several makers of ceramic nano tints that I am sure all work).
The percentage indicates how much light passes through. So it's more likely you have 20% on the sides and 40% on the windshield.
      08-27-2017, 03:07 AM   #43
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

I got Autobahn powered by Huper Optik
Product : DREI 50% front Windshield, 40% on all around
Your local hit up STM...

if you need tint go to :
Hann Kim
STM
Solar Transmission Management
Advanced Window Film Solutions, Inc
2464 W. Washington Blvd
Los Angeles CA 90018...

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)

Last edited by Orange fever; 08-27-2017 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #44
CLH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Wife's car has Suntek ceramic and my M2 has Prestige Photosync. Both same darkness, but the difference between window down with sun on your face and windows up blocking the sun is huge between the two films. The photosync is ore expensive, but does a dynamite job at heat rejection for the few hundred extra
@nd2002 Where did you have your M2 done, and how much was it?