BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Driving Assist Plus, Hands Free for over 9 mins

09-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #45
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I it's just the version. Just coincidence that my car is a 540.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      09-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #46
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I it's just the version. Just coincidence that my car is a 540.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:18 AM   #47
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
For the hand-on-steering-wheel - do you have to place them at 9 and 3, or can you just kind of rest one hand near the bottom?

I often drive, either during highway cruising or in traffic, by just resting one hand (or even a couple fingers) on the bottom of the steering wheel. Wouldn't really mind having to keep hold of the wheel if I can do it in this fashion.
All you need is literally a finger on the steering wheel. I kinda raise my leg sometimes to touch the steering wheel and that does the job. Of course you need to standby to take over in case car gives up.
One finger doesn't work for mine. I need 2 points of contact...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #48
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
One finger doesn't work for mine. I need 2 points of contact...
I think it's a touch/pressure sensor than a touch only sensor. Try putting a little bit pressure with one finger and it should work.

Otherwise it's my fat fingers
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      03-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #49
frenchybull
Rep
Drives: bmw 530e

I just picked up a 2019 530e in the US and noticed the left/right bouncing pattern on a clear lane marked highway. Seriously disappointed with its performance and level of refinement. What is the process by which one can get the software updated?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchybull View Post
I just picked up a 2019 530e in the US and noticed the left/right bouncing pattern on a clear lane marked highway. Seriously disappointed with its performance and level of refinement. What is the process by which one can get the software updated?
My 5 series (also a 530e but it is irrelevant which model of the 5 series it is) also doesn't stay centered. It did not stay centered when I bought it and did not stay centered when I had my one year maintenance and the dealership upgraded the software at that time.

I think the lane assist is the most problematic of the features. I only use it occasionally and then only as an assistant. Don't expect it to keep you centered in your lane (unfortuantely).

On the other hand, I think the ACC is outstanding and the blind spot warning works well.

Other than the lane assistant, my car does not lack refinement. What do you mean by that? Because you have an electric motor, your car doesn't stop.start. Were you looking for that?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #51
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchybull View Post
One thing to check is if the Lane keeping assistant is on when that's happening. Sometimes the car could be locked onto the vehicle in front but without the lanes being identified. Another thing to watch out is Lane departure warning bounces you off the lines if you try to depart without indicators on.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #52
frenchybull
Rep
Drives: bmw 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
My 5 series (also a 530e but it is irrelevant which model of the 5 series it is) also doesn't stay centered. It did not stay centered when I bought it and did not stay centered when I had my one year maintenance and the dealership upgraded the software at that time.

I think the lane assist is the most problematic of the features. I only use it occasionally and then only as an assistant. Don't expect it to keep you centered in your lane (unfortuantely).

On the other hand, I think the ACC is outstanding and the blind spot warning works well.

Other than the lane assistant, my car does not lack refinement. What do you mean by that? Because you have an electric motor, your car doesn't stop.start. Were you looking for that?
Okay. The side-to-side bouncing behavior is a feature, not a bug.
I was referring to this kind of lack of refinement in the specific technology option "Driving Assistance Plus pkg", rather than the car overall.

In the ~1500 miles driven over the past three weeks, I'm impressed with the car. The prior BMW 5-series I've owned was back in 2009, and this is a far superior car. I toyed with the idea of purchasing a Tesla for its superior software, but I can't stomach the 'American quality' hardware. haha
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #53
AP
Major General
Rep

I think as we have all written here that the lane assist could be better. If you is it as it is designed with your hands on the wheel , it is ok but if you do take your hands off, you can pick up on its failings ie tracks to the left of the lane and tracking very dependent on road markings and lighting.
The traffic jam assist is certainly the better part of the system and more useful in my opinion. The prompt to put your hands back on the wheel takes a lot longer . It seems the slower the speed, the longer tone between being prompted but I don't think the logic behind it is that simple as you are sometimes prompted quicker that you might expect. Under some circumstances though it can be quite q while.
Would I spec this on a new car, yes.

I had a instep upgrade on my car some time back and this did not make any changes to this feature other than a larger yellow steering wheel symbol in the HUD compared to the version when I picked up the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #54
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I was driving on a motorway today where there were speed restrictions and plenty of traffic.
Decided to use Traffic Jam Assist and was pleasantly surprised how long I could drive hands free. I managed to get 9mins 47sec without any warnings or placing my hands.

Having thought about this, I suspect there are different set of rules for hands free operation of Traffic Jam Assist in motorways under low speeds. I was averaging under 10mph. What are your thoughts and experiences?
How do you activate this?, I am picking up a new M5 Competition today with all this gear on it, thanks again.
      03-18-2019, 03:58 AM   #55
AP
Major General
Rep

Just press the cruise control button and the car will use the current speed as the desired sped. Use the toggle switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel to change that speed in either 1mph increments or if you press the toggle switch all the way in 5 mph increments.
Press the lane assist button to , well get lane assist.
The switch to using traffic jam assist is seamless it merely kicks in at a lower speed (43mph I think , the technical docs will confirm what it is for sure but something like that)

The symbol in the hud tells you whether it has obtained the lane markings or not. Grey if not and green if it has

The difference is that tja will track a car ahead without lane markings where as on the motorway at speed , it won't and relies solely on lane markings.

It actually pretty intuitive.

New models like the 8 seem to be making this a single button now and you toggle between off/ act and acc+la

Don't forget to try out lane change assist aswell which is fun although totally unnecessary!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:59 AM   #56
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
I was driving on a motorway today where there were speed restrictions and plenty of traffic.
Decided to use Traffic Jam Assist and was pleasantly surprised how long I could drive hands free. I managed to get 9mins 47sec without any warnings or placing my hands.

Having thought about this, I suspect there are different set of rules for hands free operation of Traffic Jam Assist in motorways under low speeds. I was averaging under 10mph. What are your thoughts and experiences?
How do you activate this?, I am picking up a new M5 Competition today with all this gear on it, thanks again.
I simply had all the assistance systems on. My guess is it was the set of circumstances that enabled me drive for a long period of time without placing hands on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #57
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I simply had all the assistance systems on. My guess is it was the set of circumstances that enabled me drive for a long period of time without placing hands on the steering wheel.
The good thing is that you can activate all the safety features through Idrive but not the lane assistant. That requires a push of the button on the steering wheel. That, to me, is a positive attribute. One only has the problematic lane assistant if one separately depresses the button.

BMW is not alone with the inability of its lane assistant to keep the car centered in the lane. It seems to be a fairly common problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #58
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just press the cruise control button and the car will use the current speed as the desired sped. Use the toggle switch on the left hand side of the steering wheel to change that speed in either 1mph increments or if you press the toggle switch all the way in 5 mph increments.
Press the lane assist button to , well get lane assist.
The switch to using traffic jam assist is seamless it merely kicks in at a lower speed (43mph I think , the technical docs will confirm what it is for sure but something like that)

The symbol in the hud tells you whether it has obtained the lane markings or not. Grey if not and green if it has

The difference is that tja will track a car ahead without lane markings where as on the motorway at speed , it won't and relies solely on lane markings.

It actually pretty intuitive.

New models like the 8 seem to be making this a single button now and you toggle between off/ act and acc+la

Don't forget to try out lane change assist aswell which is fun although totally unnecessary!
Many thanks AP.
The beast.
clee1982797.50
      03-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #59
AP
Major General
Rep

Very nice. Very nice indeed.
Is that San Marino blue?( think that's what it is called!)
A huge jump up from the 540
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #60
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Very nice. Very nice indeed.
Is that San Marino blue?( think that's what it is called!)
A huge jump up from the 540
Marina Bay Blue, and I do like it.
      03-19-2019, 03:18 AM   #61
AP
Major General
Rep

Real world on real roads, how does it compare to a 540i?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:41 AM   #62
AP
Major General
Rep

For the orange to work, you need orange car play.........
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:43 AM   #63
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Real world on real roads, how does it compare to a 540i?
TBH it's light year in front, instant power anywhere, great cornering/handling, well impressed.
and what a great exhaust sound.
clee1982797.50
      04-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #64
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
TBH it's light year in front, instant power anywhere, great cornering/handling, well impressed.
and what a great exhaust sound.
how much harsher is the ride?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #65
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
how much harsher is the ride?
In comfort it's like sport on yours, in Sport a bit harder but still pliable if that makes sense, not like a rock as some people have suggested, I like it.
On rough roads leave suspension in Comfort, on smoother roads Sport.
clee1982797.50
      04-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #66
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Do you have to turn something else on for TJA or just the lane assist button on the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0