BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Adding Driver Assistance Plus Possible?

02-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
theeclectic
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Adding Driver Assistance Plus Possible?

I have a 2018 540xi with Park Assist Plus. Is it possible to have the dealership add Driver Assist Plus? I figure with the Park Assist Plus already installed the censors are already in place, but didn't know if it was feasible. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

If I'm not mistaken Driving Assistances includes ACC which requires the large raider sensor in the front bottom which isn't part of Parking Assist. I have Driving Assist and not Parking Assist so different sensors otherwise I would add Parking Assist (sensors only).
      02-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
theeclectic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
If I'm not mistaken Driving Assistances includes ACC which requires the large raider sensor in the front bottom which isn't art of Parking Assist. I have Driving Assist and not Parking Assist so different sensors otherwise I would add Parking Assist (sensors only).
Ah, okay. Assuming having that larger sensor installed would be ridiculously pricey?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
theeclectic
Rep

I should note that I also have the Driver Assistance package, just not the plus.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeclectic View Post
I have a 2018 540xi with Park Assist Plus. Is it possible to have the dealership add Driver Assist Plus? I figure with the Park Assist Plus already installed the censors are already in place, but didn't know if it was feasible. Thanks!
I do not believe there is a way to retrofit this. I would call BimmerTech and see what they offer. I know they sell the remote control parking retrofit, so they might have a solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I should note that I also have the Driver Assistance package, just not the plus.
The Driver Assist was included as standard equip for MY 19 so I was referring to the Plus only. Sorry
      02-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Ah, okay. Assuming having that larger sensor installed would be ridiculously pricey?
I would assume so. People are talking about sensors replacements on the front fascia being crazy expensive (after accidents, etc).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #8
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
Quote:
I would assume so. People are talking about sensors replacements on the front fascia being crazy expensive (after accidents, etc).
I read a post about someone who went over a curb and ripped away his bumper. Said it cost insurance $10k to fix because of all the sensors and cameras that had to be readjusted besides the repair of the bumper.
      03-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
Quote:
I read a post about someone who went over a curb and ripped away his bumper. Said it cost insurance $10k to fix because of all the sensors and cameras that had to be readjusted besides the repair of the bumper.
Those sensors and bumpers are no joke. When a police officer took out my 2017 X6 in pursuit of someone else, the repair estimate came in at over $30,000. Luckily my insurance company decided to total it even though it only had 17,000 miles on it. At least I upgraded to a 2019 M550i!

And just the record, I did have the driver assistance plus package.
Attached Images

Last edited by VirtualGuitars; 03-01-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Those sensors and bumpers are no joke. When a police officer took out my 2017 X6 in pursuit of someone else, the repair estimate came in at over $30,000. Luckily my insurance company decided to total it even though it only had 17,000 miles on it. At least I upgraded to a 2019 M550i!

Yikes. Glad you are ok.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
Quote:

Yikes. Glad you are ok.
Thanks man. It's been nothing but a complete hassle. Don't ever get in a wreck with a police officer. It seems as if they have a get out of jail free card anytime their lights or sirens are on.

I was turning left onto a two lane road and he was going against traffic in the center turn and t-boned me. Because he was in pursuit, they're trying to pin it on me for a failure to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle. Oh, and he was traveling over 2 1/2 times the speed limit.

We'll find out next Friday.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:29 AM   #12
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yikes. Glad you are ok.
Thanks man. It's been nothing but a complete hassle. Don't ever get in a wreck with a police officer. It seems as if they have a get out of jail free card anytime their lights or sirens are on.

I was turning left onto a two lane road and he was going against traffic in the center turn and t-boned me. Because he was in pursuit, they're trying to pin it on me for a failure to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle. Oh, and he was traveling over 2 1/2 times the speed limit.

Quote:

Good luck, by the way did any of the electronics do "something", I remember one time someone slam break in front of me, the HUD go all red and warn me to break I think
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yikes. Glad you are ok.

Quote:

Good luck, by the way did any of the electronics do "something", I remember one time someone slam break in front of me, the HUD go all red and warn me to break I think
There must've been 9 or more alarms that went off. I would share a photo, but I only have a video of it.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      03-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
theeclectic
Rep

I have the park assist plus which I assumed has most of the sensors needed for driver assist plus, but I'm gathering it does not. I have regular driver assist so the sensors that are there can definitely tell where the lines are on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have the park assist plus which I assumed has most of the sensors needed for driver assist plus, but I'm gathering it does not. I have regular driver assist so the sensors that are there can definitely tell where the lines are on the road.
Driver assist plus contains the active drive assistant which prevents your car from changing lanes without a turn signal among other things. It's more than just sensors.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Good luck but I don't hold out much hope. As you noted, there is a requirement to give way to an emergency vehicle with its light and siren going. At least you are okay. That is the most important thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

Good luck but I don't hold out much hope. As you noted, there is a requirement to give way to an emergency vehicle with its light and siren going. At least you are okay. That is the most important thing.
The case was dismissed last Friday. Progressive Insurance also reversed their decision about me being at fault!
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #18
theeclectic
Rep

Quote:
Driver assist plus contains the active drive assistant which prevents your car from changing lanes without a turn signal among other things. It's more than just sensors.
Ah, gotcha.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 03:45 AM   #19
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The case was dismissed last Friday. Progressive Insurance also reversed their decision about me being at fault!
Congrats man. That must be a relief.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Wow. Cool. Did they conclude that the police vehicle was not properly using its lights and siren?

Congratulations.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #21
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Wow. Cool. Did they conclude that the police vehicle was not properly using its lights and siren?

Congratulations.
Thank you! Now that the court dismissed my ticket due to a lack of evidence, Progressive insurance is going after the City of Houston to reclaim the total loss in my X6. The police report was completely wrong and two witnesses showed up to court. The prosecutor dismissed the case.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      03-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550i

Quote:
Thank you! Now that the court dismissed my ticket due to a lack of evidence, Progressive insurance is going after the City of Houston to reclaim the total loss in my X6. The police report was completely wrong and two witnesses showed up to court. The prosecutor dismissed the case.
I am really glad this worked out in your favor...it's rare that it does when it involves Police possibly being at fault. This is why I am installing front AND rear 1080P cameras.

You got good karma!
Appreciate 2