BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530d or 540i Touring advice please

03-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Rob 1267
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport+, SAuto, AdSus

530d or 540i Touring advice please

Hi
I have run a 340i saloon for the past 3 years. The engine and gear box have been great but I'm looking to move to a touring for the extra space and the 5 series is very appealing.

I am a low mileage user (6k per year) with the majority of my journeys being short distances (around 5 miles) I've been told that diesels don't respond well to constant short journeys. Any advise regarding this? Also I've appreciated Adaptive Suspension on my 340i and wondered how effective the Adaptive Drive option is on the 5. I don't tend to load out with options but again advise here will be appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes I think that the general advice is that diesels are not suitable for repeated short journeys as they will not get warmed up and hence struggle to clean the dpf

I am no expert but my understanding is that if warmed up then it do a passive clean but if it doesn't get warm and it needs to clean the dpf then it does a active clean which I think requires more fuel in an attempt to get things warmed up.
If it gets clogged up that's a visit to the dealer. I knew someone with a jag that had this issue as it was only ever used on short journeys and never really got warmed up.

Others here may have a better info but my understanding is that petrol is better for shorter journeys.

Given you lowing Mileage( just slightly less than me and my 540i) my net is go for petrol.
As good as the diesels are , the petrol will be more refined and given the small Mosley the difference in fuel costs won't be much to worry about.

Note the 540i is quite heavy on fuel for lots of stop start when cold.

Have got adaptive drive so can't comment on it other than I think it's quite a rare option
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I've got a 530d but my recommendation would be to go for a 540i.

My rationale is similar to AP above. Unless you are doing anything over 12k annually, diesels don't make much sense. At 5-6k miles, you won't see any real fuel cost savings. However, you should probably test drive a 530d as the torque is excellent particularly on low speeds.

On Adaptive drive, again it's very subjective. I have EDC but kinda wish that I didn't spec it. M Sport suspensions on 5 series are pretty good and comfortable. However you should test drive a car with Adaptive drive and consider typical roads you drive. I live in Edinburgh and we've got potholes everywhere

Whichever the car you choose, you'll love it. I moved from a F32 and love the refinement of G30.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

If you could do without an estate car, I would suggest a 530e. Perfect for mostly short, local driving. Great early torque. Great fuel economy. Of course, that assumes you have a place to plug in overnight.

I have the adaptive drive with mine and I had the car coded to default to adaptive drive. Many people have expressed the view that the 5 series standard suspension is adequate. I can't directly compare (a short test drive isn't really a fair comparison) but I do like it. when I want more oomph, I throw the shifter to the left.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I agree with the post above, the 530e is made for the driving you described. There is another post about changing the oil in the 530e because the user has 2k miles on it and is still one the first tank of gas. Crazy... He uses it for short trips and never needs the gas but it's there if he does. But you have to be able to plug it in to charge.
Besides in the US diesels are the past and EVs are the future. It will soon be harder to find a diesel pump then a EV charging station. Just a thought.
      03-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I agree with the post above, the 530e is made for the driving you described. There is another post about changing the oil in the 530e because the user has 2k miles on it and is still one the first tank of gas. Crazy... He uses it for short trips and never needs the gas but it's there if he does. But you have to be able to plug it in to charge.
Besides in the US diesels are the past and EVs are the future. It will soon be harder to find a diesel pump then a EV charging station. Just a thought.
OP is from the UK. There's plenty of diesels on the roads still.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Rob 1267
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm probably plumping for the 540i Touring. Now way to get to test drive one with Adaptive Drive As you guys know the demo cars always seem to have limited options
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 1267 View Post
I'm probably plumping for the 540i Touring. Now way to get to test drive one with Adaptive Drive As you guys know the demo cars always seem to have limited options
I wanted to find one but both the dealers in Edinburgh didn't have a car

Good luck in tracking down a car with the right options.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

I assume when you are asking adaptive drive you are referring to the suspension as opposed to the driving mode?

The adaptive driving mode adjusts the steering, gearbox ,throttle response and suspension as it sees fit as opposed you choosing a mode like eco pro, comfort or sport.

Adaptive drive is the expensive suspension option which goes beyond what Vdc/edc(what ever it's called this / in this market) does . So if you want the car to remain flat around a corner that is what it will provide. Is it available on the estate??

As I say that appears to be a rare option and I don't see it discussed much on these forums and we are the enthusiast!

For suspension I would simply try out the combination you want as each person will have different opinions on each setup.

I had my 540i now for around 18 months or so and am still very pleased with having come from. Previous f10 530d.
I do get the torque thing with the diesel and it is a cracking engine. Possible bans on using diesel incities put me off me time so tried the 540i and was very glad I did as the refinement improvement over it was very noticeable.

Whatever you choose, the g30 is a cracking car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
Rob 1267
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I assume when you are asking adaptive drive you are referring to the suspension as opposed to the driving mode?

The adaptive driving mode adjusts the steering, gearbox ,throttle response and suspension as it sees fit as opposed you choosing a mode like eco pro, comfort or sport.

Adaptive drive is the expensive suspension option which goes beyond what Vdc/edc(what ever it's called this / in this market) does . So if you want the car to remain flat around a corner that is what it will provide. Is it available on the estate??

No I'm referring to Adaptive Drive. I have Adaptive Suspension on my 340i.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
OP is from the UK. There's plenty of diesels on the roads still.
I knew he was from UK but that doesn't change what I said about the 530e or diesels. Diesels were never big in the US like the EU so I was already difficult to fill up and now they are becoming even more scarce thanks to VW scandal and EVs.
All that said I just got a 540ix M sport and I love it.
      03-15-2019, 05:48 AM   #12
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
It will soon be harder to find a diesel pump then a EV charging station.
We are a long long way off that. Diesel is sold alongside petrol in every petrol station here. EV charging stations will not outnumber petrol stations for many years, long after most of us have onto a new car...
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      03-15-2019, 06:43 AM   #13
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I was in the same situation. Low mileage and many short runs. A diesel made no sense for me, especially in the winter as they take a lot longer to warm up.

I went for the 540 Touring and 9,000 miles later, no regrets. Loads of space and practical. Super quiet and all the speed you need in the UK.

Short runs of 3 - 5 miles to the supermarket, not difficult to get 24-26mpg, easy motorway runs, 35-37mpg is the norm with a best of 42mpg.
Drive it hard in heavy traffic, then I would expect it's easy to drop below 20mpg. Petrol is of course still cheaper than diesel and for that mileage, you won't notice the cost difference.
I also have a 118i and to be honest on short journeys the difference in fuel consumption is a lot closer than many would think.

I have the variable dampers which gives an adaptive setting. Whilst its easy to tell the difference between sport and comfort settings, adaptive feels like comfort most of the time. I could easily drive all day with sport suspension setting as its still pretty comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes the 540i performance wise has way in excess of what you can legally use here in the UK. Accelerate to the motorways speed limit and the fun is over in seconds, literally.

Go for a test drive and I have no doubt you will be impressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #15
Rob 1267
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yes the 540i performance wise has way in excess of what you can legally use here in the UK. Accelerate to the motorways speed limit and the fun is over in seconds, literally.

Go for a test drive and I have no doubt you will be impressed.
Thanks. I Know what to expect from the straight six petrol engine and ZF as my 340i is the same as you know. Test driving a 520d Touring tomorrow at the dealers. Thats as close as they can get My MO is to find the best broker price (Coast2Coast can source a 540i x Touring with over £11k off list) then target that less webuyanycar.com price for my car as trade in With my list of options thats £51k less £18.7k. If they don't match it I walk and go down the Broker route
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I am a low mileage user (6k per year) with the majority of my journeys being short distances (around 5 miles) I've been told that diesels don't respond well to constant short journeys. Any advise regarding this? Also I've appreciated Adaptive Suspension on my 340i and wondered how effective the Adaptive Drive option is on the 5. I don't tend to load out with options but again advise here will be appreciated.

Cheers
As other posters have stated the petrol is best for short trips, not the best choice for diesel use, as you need more than 5 miles to even get to regeneration temperatures, then need a few miles to burn off the DPF. Even petrol vs. diesel mpg is not as wide apart as we may first expect, for short trips from cold. Diesel comes into its own (even for mpg) with longer trips. If your low annual mileage was made up of long trips, then a diesel could make a bit more sense. But not for 5 mile trips.

I'm an Adaptive Drive user, would get it again as an option preference. A lot depends on the road quality you drive, and how agile you want the chassis to feel. From memory, we have the option of VDC (adaptive damping only) or AD (adaptive damping and active roll bars) on the 540 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #17
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Having driven diesels for 10 years I am of the firm opinion that they're not well suited for city,or suburban,driving. They are,however,*the* best way to cruise the Interstate (or "Motorway",as you Brits say) at 70mph..or more. It's not a coincidence that 18 wheelers are powered by diesels!
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #18
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
It will soon be harder to find a diesel pump then a EV charging station.
We are a long long way off that. Diesel is sold alongside petrol in every petrol station here. EV charging stations will not outnumber petrol stations for many years, long after most of us have onto a new car...
Well there is the difference, we don't have any petrol stations in the US. We have gas stations and most don't have diesel except along highways for the 18wheelers🚛.
😂😂
      03-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #19
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Quote:
We have gas stations and most don't have diesel except along highways for the 18wheelers.
I've seen stats suggesting that about one-third of US gas stations sell diesel. And as for highways...there are two stations within 1/2 mile of me that sell diesel and there are four within two miles...and I don't live anywhere near a highway.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
No I'm referring to Adaptive Drive. I have Adaptive Suspension on my 340i.
Adaptive drive isn't the same as your adaptive dampers, adaptive drive is a £2500 option on the G30 and includes active roll bars amongst other things it a bit different to the £500 option on the 3er.
      03-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #21
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Adaptive drive isn't the same as your adaptive dampers, adaptive drive is a £2500 option on the G30 and includes active roll bars amongst other things it a bit different to the £500 option on the 3er.
I ordered the dynamic handling package on my 530e G30. That constituted msport brakes and dynamic dampers. It came with the adaptive drive (which I use as my default). Dynamic handling package on the upper end of the G30 vehicles does have more features (primarily rear wheel steering).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I ordered the dynamic handling package on my 530e G30. That constituted msport brakes and dynamic dampers. It came with the adaptive drive (which I use as my default). Dynamic handling package on the upper end of the G30 vehicles does have more features (primarily rear wheel steering).
530e only has variable damping, not Adaptive Drive. "Adaptive mode" which you use as your default setting, is nothing like Adaptive Drive with active damping and active roll control. You can have IAS (rear wheel steering), in addition to Adaptive Drive on some models.

Adaptive Drive is active in all modes, has two automatic base settings according to the mode selected, (one for Eco Pro & Comfort, the other for Sport & Sport+). 'Adaptive mode' is simply one of the selectable modes, within Adaptive Drive, if AD is fitted to the model.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50