BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Front/Rear Cross-Traffic / Pedestrian Alert Woes

06-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
ER_Fasano
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

Front/Rear Cross-Traffic / Pedestrian Alert Woes

Fool me once.

The front/Rear Cross-Traffic / Pedestrian Alert in my 2018 540i is of no value whatsoever. It’s lack of vigilance is laughable. Putting any trust in it invites disaster. It was a waste of $3,400 and a badly broken promise. BMW has failed on multiple occasions to address it and has now flagged my vehicle as ineligible for repairs related to this feature. BMW North America stubbornly states that my vehicle is operating as designed. When confronted with their own feature demonstration video, the they told me that all vehicles will not necessarily perform similarly! Sounds too much like a technology lottery (that I lost).

I wish that this BMW technology worked as well as the like-kind feature in the Genesis that I traded in. It was highly effective! I wish too that BMW’s treatment of me and this issue had not sucked so much joy out of my ownership experience. BMW’s arrogance is remarkable.

If you order this feature, make sure it works before you take delivery. Otherwise, it may be too late.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
silberma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
My 2017 Genesis has more safety features than my fully loaded 2019 540i. Furthermore, the Genesis has audio warnings for every safety issue. Still have not found the perfect car. Have to wait till the government dictates that safety features become standard.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think it's best with all of these systems that you DONT put your trust in them and that you are in control and take responsibility for what the car is doing.

For an extreme example to make a point ,I would not drive down a road to see a pedestrian walk out in front and not brake thinking the car would do it for me

I wouldnt want to deliberately put any of these to the test so if they do sort out a moments Inattention or mistake then they have paid for themselves in one go.

It is probably a balancing act between creating an genuine alert and too many false alerts.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Fasano View Post
Fool me once.

The front/Rear Cross-Traffic / Pedestrian Alert in my 2018 540i is of no value whatsoever. It’s lack of vigilance is laughable. Putting any trust in it invites disaster. It was a waste of $3,400 and a badly broken promise. BMW has failed on multiple occasions to address it and has now flagged my vehicle as ineligible for repairs related to this feature. BMW North America stubbornly states that my vehicle is operating as designed. When confronted with their own feature demonstration video, the they told me that all vehicles will not necessarily perform similarly! Sounds too much like a technology lottery (that I lost).

I wish that this BMW technology worked as well as the like-kind feature in the Genesis that I traded in. It was highly effective! I wish too that BMW’s treatment of me and this issue had not sucked so much joy out of my ownership experience. BMW’s arrogance is remarkable.

If you order this feature, make sure it works before you take delivery. Otherwise, it may be too late.
Quote:
Fool me once.

The front/Rear Cross-Traffic / Pedestrian Alert in my 2018 540i is of no value whatsoever. It's lack of vigilance is laughable. Putting any trust in it invites disaster. It was a waste of $3,400 and a badly broken promise. BMW has failed on multiple occasions to address it and has now flagged my vehicle as ineligible for repairs related to this feature. BMW North America stubbornly states that my vehicle is operating as designed. When confronted with their own feature demonstration video, the they told me that all vehicles will not necessarily perform similarly! Sounds too much like a technology lottery (that I lost).

I wish that this BMW technology worked as well as the like-kind feature in the Genesis that I traded in. It was highly effective! I wish too that BMW's treatment of me and this issue had not sucked so much joy out of my ownership experience. BMW's arrogance is remarkable.

Mine goes off every day on drive home from work. A sign over highway triggers it. I do not trust it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Fool me once.

Very sorry to hear this. Can you tell us more about what is causing the issues? Has your dealer upgraded your iStep version in attempt to improve algorithms used by their engineers?

No doubt all these safety systems are secondary and no replacement for driver awareness. It's gonna be another 5-10 years before hardware/software makes it into cars that has sufficient AI for us to count on.