BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Display Brightness - Coding options?

01-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Display Brightness - Coding options?

Has anyone managed to find a coding solution for dealing with the instrument cluster display brightness issue (i.e. tinted windows causing display to be dimmed during the day)

I've been searching the forum for any threads but only found old info.
      01-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I found this

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/d...-night.662851/

But this is for a f10 so not sure if this still applicable. I wii I Utd imagine you are probably looking at esys to implement.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #3
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Thanks but probably not quite the solution I was hoping to find. It's not related to day/night switching, rather during day mode the display can dim down quite aggressively when the light sensor isn't picking up enough ambient light (e.g. due to tinting on windows). The problem is that display brightness can't be manually adjusted with the wheel like you can at night. It's not an issue that happens all the time, but under certain conditions (e.g. overcast days or rain), it tends to crop up for quite a few people. There's been a few discussions about it on the forums through the years although never saw a good solution. I started this thread hoping that there may have been some new developments.

There's manual workarounds like opening the sunroof shade or opening front window slightly when it happens, but not sure if it was ever resolved in software update or through coding.
      01-20-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think this value mentioned is the threshold of when the car perceives it to be night
I guess the tints are doing this so adjust this value may be enough to reset where that threshold is

I think they used a value of 255 to fool it into thinking it was permently day. Not sayin that's the value you want but something else

Just a thought that was all I could recall on this matter
Appreciate 0