BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding How easy to upgrade standard audio?

10-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #1
Funk
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530i SE

How easy to upgrade standard audio?

Hi all,

Just bought a 2017 G30 530i SE which has the most basic audio I think the car comes with (Nav Pro with CD & DAB, no speaker upgrade). I've upated the maps to 2022-2 and did a bluetooth update which weirdly fixed the issue with not being able to activate the GPS tracking for locating via My BMW. Deezer Premium's also working too now which is great and goes a long way toward resolving me missing having wireless Android Auto.

The lack of audio quality is a bit of a sticking point; having had the HK system in my G16 the boggo system doesn't sound great or go particularly loud without sounding strained. I'm guessing I'll need amp(s) as well as all the speakers - how easy is it to retrofit the HK system? Will it need coding etc or just 'drop in'?

Is trying to retrofit the BMW HK system more aggro than it's worth and would a non-BMW amp and speakers be easier? I'd like to keep everything looking stock, I'd just like better audio!

I hadn't noticed that the car didn't have the HK system when I first looked at it - it wouldn't necessarily have been a dealbreaker but if it's relatively simple to retrofit then I'll definitely go that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 03:10 AM   #2
padraigg
Rep
Drives: 520D G30

I went this route https://www.incarmusic.co.uk/focal-i...t-package.html
Huge improvement in sound quality and not too difficult to install, pretty much plug & play with no coding required.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 05:33 AM   #3
Funk
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530i SE

Oh that looks ideal, thanks for the info. Looks like it adds tweeters where the existing full range drivers are in the door - no need to fit them up by the A-pillar? How complicated was the install, did you DIY or get a car audio place to do it? I'm not hugely competent with such things...!

Guess it's also removable and could be sold on later too when I decide to sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
padraigg
Rep
Drives: 520D G30

You can go for the separate A-pillar tweeter/door speaker pair or what I did was use these 2-way speakers instead https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/ic-bmw-100l

I'm very happy with their performance & were easy for me to install. Get yourself a decent trim tool kit (I got mine in Halfords) and some spare door card clips, because one or two will break. There are loads of YouTube videos showing how to remove the door cards.

The Focal speakers & loom use identical plugs & sockets as the BMW speakers so really straightforward to install. I replaced the speakers earlier this year, which gave a marginal improvement in sound, and the amp last weekend, which has made a huge difference.

If you got an early start, you could get everything installed in one day. No cutting required except for one small cut with a Stanley knife for running the cables for the door speakers through the seal that the speaker sits in to.

If you wanted to remove from the car then that too will be fairly simple.
Attached Images

Last edited by padraigg; 10-23-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #5
curtisb
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraigg View Post
You can go for the separate A-pillar tweeter/door speaker pair or what I did was use these 2-way speakers instead https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/ic-bmw-100l

I'm very happy with their performance & were easy for me to install. Get yourself a decent trim tool kit (I got mine in Halfords) and some spare door card clips, because one or two will break. There are loads of YouTube videos showing how to remove the door cards.

The Focal speakers & loom use identical plugs & sockets as the BMW speakers so really straightforward to install. I replaced the speakers earlier this year, which gave a marginal improvement in sound, and the amp last weekend, which has made a huge difference.

If you got an early start, you could get everything installed in one day. No cutting required except for one small cut with a Stanley knife for running the cables for the door speakers through the seal that the speaker sits in to.

If you wanted to remove from the car then that too will be fairly simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk View Post
Oh that looks ideal, thanks for the info. Looks like it adds tweeters where the existing full range drivers are in the door - no need to fit them up by the A-pillar? How complicated was the install, did you DIY or get a car audio place to do it? I'm not hugely competent with such things...!

Guess it's also removable and could be sold on later too when I decide to sell the car.
Hey Funk did you upgrade your audio system?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #6
harry687harry
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30

I also have basic system for some reason. was thinking of getting a sub-amp in boot and leave rest stock not sure if its a good idea but i think extra base will make loads of difference
Appreciate 0