BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions DIY: Rear Fog Light Activation/Install for U.S. G30 sedans

03-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

DIY: Rear Fog Light Activation/Install for U.S. G30 sedans

****EDIT: I was made aware that some of the links are not working since Newtis access got restricted, so I have attached a PDF which should have all the steps referenced in the instructions below.****

So, after a couple weeks of trial and error, I was finally able to get the Rear Fog Lights working on my 2020 530e. Depending on your model year, you may need to add wiring and swap the tail lights with some from an earlier model year, as it seems for some newer model years, BMW is removing the LED diodes from inside the tail lights, in addition to not including the wires from the BDC to the tail lights for the rear fog light activation.

DISCLAIMER: As with all DIY projects, undertake this at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to you or your car!

The first step is to verify if your tail lights have the LED diodes, as seen in this post. If you have the LED diodes, you most likely have the wiring as well, and can proceed to make the coding changes further down the thread.

You will need to replace the headlight switch to add the rear fog light button, as modifying the existing switch no longer seems to work. Instructions for swapping the headlight switch can be found here.

Parts List:
Headlight Switch w/ Rear Fog Button:
For vehicles with Front Fog Lights and with Night Vision: 61319493738
For vehicles with Front Fog Lights and without Night Vision: 61319493734
For vehicles without Front Fog Lights and with Night Vision: 61319493736
For vehicles without Front Fog Lights and without Night Vision: 61319493733

Additionally, if your vehicle does not have the wiring (discussed further down), you will need 3 of the BMW Wiring Connectors, part #61130005197.

Tools Required: (Only if you need to add the wiring or swap the tail lights)
- T-20 Hex Screwdriver
- 8mm Socket
- Flat Head Screwdriver

If your vehicle already has the LED diodes for the Rear Fog Lights, then all you will need to do is make the coding changes below:
All changes are in the BDC_Body2 Module, in the 5FA9 Cafd file
NSL_Verbaut: Change this to "Verbaut"
LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR: Change to match your existing switch, plus "NSL". For example, mine was "39_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NIVI", so I changed it to "40_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL_NIVI". This keeps the incorrect light switch variant error from showing up in ISTA.
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA: Change this to "G30_ECE_Code"
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX: Change this to "G30_ECE_Code"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA_0: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_1"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_3"
LIC_VERSION_DATA: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_5"

This will enable the rear fog lights without changing any of the existing tail light functions.

If you do not have the LED diodes or the wiring at the tail light connectors:

In this case, you will need to find a pair of inner tail lights from an older model G30 that does have the LED Diodes. Some online auctions have detailed pictures where you can see them visible in the photos, or you may need to ask the seller if they are present or to send you additional photos. Alternatively, if you wanted to swap for the Euro tail lights with the amber turn signals, you could also do that. Instructions on how to swap the lights are in the link in the section below.

Wiring: If you do not have the LED diodes in the lights, or you do have them but the above coding did not work to enable the rear fog lights, you will need to check to see if you have the correct wiring running to the tail lights. To do this, you will need to remove the lining from the trunk, instructions on which can be found here. This link also includes instructions on how to replace the tail light units.

Once you are able to access/see the tail light wiring connectors, compare your wiring connectors to the wiring diagram found here, specifically looking at connectors E60 and E58. You are looking for a wire in slot #5 on each of those connectors. If you do not have anything in those connectors, proceed to the steps below.

In order to add the wiring, you will need to run 1 wire from the BDC module, located under the front passenger side footwell, to the tail light area, where it will split off into 2 wires, one running to each inner tail light.

NOTE: You do not need to disconnect the battery in order to add this wiring or swap the tail lights, as there will be no signal on the wiring while the lights are off. However, for safety, disconnecting the battery while working on electrical is always recommended. As a reminder, newer BMW's sometimes have more than 1 battery depending on your configuration.

To run the wire cleanly, you will need to:
- Remove the "Entrance Cover Strips", as seen in Steps 2 and 3 on this link.
- Next, gain access to the BDC module by following Steps 2 through 5 on this link up until you get to the part about disconnecting all connectors, as you will only need to remove connector A258*5B, which is identified here.
- Remove the passenger side rear seat backrest, as shown in Step #2 here.

With these steps done, your next step is to add the wiring. Start by unplugging connector A258*5B, identified above. You will be adding one of the wiring connectors to Pin #20. Once this is done, you can replace the connector in to the BDC. Now, run the wiring along the passenger side of the car. When you get to the B-Pillar, you should be able to pull it out slightly to run the wiring behind it without actually having to remove the trim. Next, when you get to the back seat, run the wiring along the factory harness, and you should be able to run it behind the trunk lining to the passenger side arm of the trunk. Continue to run it along the factory wiring here, making sure to secure it every so often with either small zip ties or electrical/fabric tape. Once you get up to the branch off for the passenger side inner tail light, this is where you will split the single wire in to two, with one continuing to follow along the factory wiring to the driver side inner tail light. For both of these wires, connect the BMW wiring connectors, and insert these connectors in to slot #5 on the tail light wiring plug.

If you have not already done the coding piece, you would now need to go ahead and make those changes. After the coding changes, you can either turn the car or on put it in diagnostic mode, then press the rear fog button, and everything should work. Once you confirm that they are functioning, you can put everything back together inside the car by reversing the steps listed above for the trunk lining and trim pieces.

Voila! You should now have working rear fog lights on your U.S. G30!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW G30 Rear Fog Steps.pdf (1.03 MB, 270 views)

Last edited by roxxor; 05-25-2023 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

Excellent write up!
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

I am trying to accomplish the same thing on my G20 with minimal luck so far. Also, as I am trying to activate the rear foglight, I want my tail lights to function as the do in ECE cars (separated brake lights from turn signals). this will allow me to install Euro spec tails with amber turn signals.

For G20's on bimmercode, there actually is separate files for US and ECE coding on expert mode. Also Body2 module doesn't exist for G20s, Just one body module. When I switched my car to ECE spec, it sure enough divided the turn signals from brake lights but caused hyper flashing. I am thinking if I install actual Euro Spec tails, it will fix this problem which might also be the case for G30 cars. But this method did not activate the rear fogs. I need to verify if even have them on US spec cars.

I am sad that the days of just getting the Euro Switch and plug it in to get them to work are over.

Your post is a great help to our community. Thanks again!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

The coding in this guide worked for me on my 2018 US-spec 540d! The only hardware I had to install was the correct rear fog light switch. My tail lights had the diodes present and the left (driver's) side rear fog now works along with the indicator in the instrument cluster. The right side does not light up but I'm assuming they only ran the wiring for the driver's side because that's the typical set up for rear fog lights. Thanks for putting this together!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #5
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

anyone could look where to find :

in BDC module in esys? I have launcher pro 2.8.1 and BDC_BODY2 5FA9 parameters are trimmed, probably need newer launcher but it is impossible to contact with tokenmaster.

e.g. NSL_Verbaut is in 3075 LceMaster, LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR is in 3070 LceConfiguration, need to know section of above mentioned parameters then I will compare to European FA coded BDC and change parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgimips View Post
The coding in this guide worked for me on my 2018 US-spec 540d! The only hardware I had to install was the correct rear fog light switch. My tail lights had the diodes present and the left (driver's) side rear fog now works along with the indicator in the instrument cluster. The right side does not light up but I'm assuming they only ran the wiring for the driver's side because that's the typical set up for rear fog lights. Thanks for putting this together!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
anyone could look where to find :

in BDC module in esys? I have launcher pro 2.8.1 and BDC_BODY2 5FA9 parameters are trimmed, probably need newer launcher but it is impossible to contact with tokenmaster.

e.g. NSL_Verbaut is in 3075 LceMaster, LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR is in 3070 LceConfiguration, need to know section of above mentioned parameters then I will compare to European FA coded BDC and change parameters.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
solved.
Replied to your PM but also wanted to put this here in case someone else had the same question.

*** Selected Last CAFD (5FA9) ***
BDC_BODY2 / 3064 LicNiveauOverrideIndex / LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX
- Changed from "G30_US_code2" to "UNK_PARAM_3"

BDC_BODY2 / 3065 LicNiveauOverrideData / LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA_0
- Changed from "G30_US_code2" to "UNK_PARAM_1"

BDC_BODY2 / 3067 LicLogLamp2OutputChannelIndex / LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX
- Changed from "G30_US_code, G30_US_code" to "G30_ECE_code"

BDC_BODY2 / 3068 LicLogLamp2OutputChannelData / LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA
- Changed from "G30_US_code, G30_US_code" to "G30_ECE_code"

BDC_BODY2 / 3069 LicVersionData / LIC_VERSION_DATA
- Changed from "UNK_PARAM_6, UNK_PARAM_37" to "UNK_PARAM_5"

BDC_BODY2 / 3070 LceConfiguration / LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR
- Changed from "39_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NIVI" to "40_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL_NIVI"

BDC_BODY2 / 3075 LceMaster / NSL_Verbaut
- Changed from "nicht_verbaut" to "verbaut"
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:50 AM   #8
BavMoto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550ix, 2015 428ix

Rear Fog Lamp Improv

I used to have a 2018 M4 with a light switch that accepted the standard modification to enable rear fog operation but, of course, had no LEDs for the "Nebelschlussl output" so I improvised and sent the power to the outer turn signals, which served the purpose, as follows:
FEM -> 3060 -> NSL_Verbaut (Value= Verbaut)
REM -> 3063 -> Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output (Value = 0x20)
REM -> 3063 -> Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_function (Value=nebelschlusslicht)
REM -> 3063 -> Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output (Value = 0x21)
REM -> 3063 -> Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_function (Value = nebelschlusslicht)

So, my question is whether there any way to send the Nebelschlussl output to outer turn signals in a G30 that has no rear fog LEDs?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
AccelerateT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 m40i

Hello,

I'm trying to repeat these steps for my 2020 G01 X3 m40i using BimmerCode. I had a few questions:
1. For LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA and LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX, the G01_ECE_code is available but when I check it, it also forces G08_CHINA_code to be checked. Is this fine?
2. For LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA0, I do not have UNK_PARAM_1, but a bunch of other UNK_PARAM options with various numbers. What do they mean and has anyone found the correct one to select for the G01 X3?
3. For LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX, same as above. It's supposed to be UNK_PARAM_3 but I don't have that option.
4. Finally, for LIC_VERSION_DATA_0_23_1, I have the UNK_PARAM_5 option, but when checked, it forces UNK_PARAM_26 and UNK_PARAM_38 to be checked as well. Is this fine?

The other steps I was able to follow exactly. Anyone in the EU with codes for the above? I have the US spec foglights but did test this and it does have both rear fog lights.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccelerateT View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to repeat these steps for my 2020 G01 X3 m40i using BimmerCode. I had a few questions:
1. For LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA and LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX, the G01_ECE_code is available but when I check it, it also forces G08_CHINA_code to be checked. Is this fine?
2. For LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA0, I do not have UNK_PARAM_1, but a bunch of other UNK_PARAM options with various numbers. What do they mean and has anyone found the correct one to select for the G01 X3?
3. For LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX, same as above. It's supposed to be UNK_PARAM_3 but I don't have that option.
4. Finally, for LIC_VERSION_DATA_0_23_1, I have the UNK_PARAM_5 option, but when checked, it forces UNK_PARAM_26 and UNK_PARAM_38 to be checked as well. Is this fine?

The other steps I was able to follow exactly. Anyone in the EU with codes for the above? I have the US spec foglights but did test this and it does have both rear fog lights.

Thanks
The codes will be different for the G01, which I had posted on the X3 forum since I had an M40i before I got my 530e and found the coding while I had the X3

For the X3, they should be:
NSL_Verbaut: Change this to "Verbaut"
LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR: Change to match your existing switch, plus "NSL". For example, mine was "28_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW", so I changed it to "34_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL". This keeps the incorrect light switch variant error from showing up in ISTA.
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_2"
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_2"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA_0: Change this to "G01_ECE_code2"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX: Change this to "G01_ECE_code2"
LIC_VERSION_DATA: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_11"
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
F90M5C
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 19 F90 M5C,17 F82 ZCP M4

hi,
I drive a 19 EU F90 Competition with one rear foglight ( left or Right not sure which one ) does anyone know how to code it that both Left and right work ? i use bimmmercode
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90M5C View Post
hi,
I drive a 19 EU F90 Competition with one rear foglight ( left or Right not sure which one ) does anyone know how to code it that both Left and right work ? i use bimmmercode
My understanding is that for the G30/G31 only one side is physically connected, if at all. You'd have to run the connection for the other side.

Of course this is based on my sample size of 1 car (my US-spec G30) which only was pre-wired on one side, so it could very well be possible with coding on some cars in other markets.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
F90M5C
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgimips View Post
My understanding is that for the G30/G31 only one side is physically connected, if at all. You'd have to run the connection for the other side.

Of course this is based on my sample size of 1 car (my US-spec G30) which only was pre-wired on one side, so it could very well be possible with coding on some cars in other markets.
ohhh ok , tbh i never thought of this , ill have to find a way to take a look and see if its physically connected or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #14
F90M5C
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

I checked my taillights today and i dont even have the led diodes on the right 😬 so no coding in the world will fix my problem 😅
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
kubaa24
Rep
Drives: BMW

Smile

First of all thank you roxxor for excellent tutorial! Which software did you use for coding? Esys with pro launcher ver 3.x? I tried to code same for my USA import 2017 540i with Bimmercode but I got stuck at couple of points.

I managed to purchase and install EU light switch with dedicated button for rear fog lights. I coded successfully these two functions and light indication lights up on dashboard OK.
(coded OK) NSL_Verbaut: Change this to "Verbaut"
(coded OK) LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR: Change to match your existing switch, plus "NSL". For example, mine was "39_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NIVI", so I changed it to "40_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL_NIVI". This keeps the incorrect light switch variant error from showing up in ISTA.

However here are the discrepancies I came across:
(my current config shows G32_US instead of G30_US. What should I change it to? G30_ECE or G32_ECE?) LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA: Change this to "G30_ECE_Code"

(my current config shows G32_US instead of G30_US. What should I change it to? G30_ECE or G32_ECE? LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX: Change this to "G30_ECE_Code"

When accessings these I don't have "UNK_PARAM" listed at all. Instead I see long list of what looks like model codes similar to G30_US etc. Does anyone know by any chance what should I program in?
(no UNK_PARAM on list) LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA_0: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_1"
(no UNK_PARAM on list) LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_3"
(no UNK_PARAM on list) LIC_VERSION_DATA: Change this to "UNK_PARAM_5"

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with Bimmercode programming. It would save me purchase cost of esysx licence which would be my next step
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #16
kubaa24
Rep
Drives: BMW

OK I figured it out with esysx and esys 3.33.4

NSL_Verbaut and LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR code changes are same as in the first post of this thread.

LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_DATA: Changed to "G30_ECE_Code"
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX: Changed to "G30_ECE_Code"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_DATA_0: Changed to "G30_ECE_code2"
LIC_NIVEAU_OVERRIDE_INDEX: Changed to "G30_ECE_code2"
LIC_VERSION_DATA: Changed to "G30_ECE_code"

After quick test I confirmed that both my rear fog lights work ok!
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90M5C View Post
ohhh ok , tbh i never thought of this , ill have to find a way to take a look and see if its physically connected or not.
Just did this to my US G30 and my car had lights on both sides and both lit up. Guess it's all luck what you get.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank OP for the awesome informative write-up and share my coding in case it might help someone in the future as my coding was a little different.
FYI - I did this on Bimmercode Expert Mode as I did not have esys.

This was on a US G30

All changes are in the BDC_Body2 Module, in the 5FA9 Cafd file
NSL_Verbaut: Changed this to "Verbaut"

LCE_BEL_LIN_VAR: Change to match your existing switch, plus "NSL". For example, mine was "39_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NIVI", so I changed it to "40_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL_NIVI". This keeps the incorrect light switch variant error from showing up in ISTA.
Mine was set to "28 BEL_PL_FLC_NSW" so I set it to "34_BEL_PL_FLC_NSW_NSL"

No G30_ECE_Code was found but car was set to G32_US_Code so switched it to "G32_ECE_Code"

LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_OUTPUT_CHANNEL_INDEX: Changed this to "G30_ECE_Code"

No "UNK_PARAM_1" was found and car was set to "G30_US_code2" so set it to "G32_ECE_code2"

No "UNK_PARAM_3" found and car was set to "G30_US_code2". No "G30_ESE_Code2" found so set to "G32_ECE_code2".

LIC_VERSION_DATA: Changed this to "UNK_PARAM_5"

Happy to say I hit the Fog Light jackpot (Both lights are there along with wiring). I had the LEDs but no way without taking out trunk liner to tell if the wiring was on 1 or 2 of the lights or not there at all. I figured it would be easier to code first and see if it works and it did. I now have rear fog lights and no error codes!

Last edited by Supacat; 05-08-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #19
JCM1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 750xi

Thank you for this information and these excellent write-ups! I am planning to perform this upgrade on my 2018 750i. I have found the headlight switch needed for both front and rear fog lights, and it appears that I have the LED's in the rear light assemblies. I hope the US G12 will be the same process as the G30. Regarding coding, what product are you using for this procedure? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:55 AM   #20
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM1 View Post
Thank you for this information and these excellent write-ups! I am planning to perform this upgrade on my 2018 750i. I have found the headlight switch needed for both front and rear fog lights, and it appears that I have the LED's in the rear light assemblies. I hope the US G12 will be the same process as the G30. Regarding coding, what product are you using for this procedure? Thank you in advance.
It's already explained in this thread... Most people use esys. I was lucky and got it working with Bimmercode. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Thanks roxxor for the switch and the coding info! I was lucky enough to just pop in the switch and code with BimmerCode.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #22
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
Thanks roxxor for the switch and the coding info! I was lucky enough to just pop in the switch and code with BimmerCode.
Nice, had the same experience! Congrats on the upgrade!
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00