BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Coolant Leaking From Bottom of Main Reservoir

03-03-2024, 10:39 AM   #1
cbarlow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix, 2019 540i

Coolant Leaking From Bottom of Main Reservoir

The other day I went to drive my 2019 540i and found a big puddle of coolant under it. Upon inspection, the main reservoir was empty and it appears to have leaked from where a hose connects to the bottom of the reservoir. I'm going to jack it up, remove the front driver's side wheel, and remove the wheel-well liner which should allow me to get a better look at the problem. In the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this or may have some useful knowledge and DIY repair tips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:15 PM   #2
cbarlow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix, 2019 540i

After further investigation I've determined that the reservoir has a very, very small crack that opens up when the engine reaches operating temperature. I've ordered a replacement tank and it doesn't look like it'll be too difficult to swap out. Once done, I'll have to fill it with coolant and bleed the system of air.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0