BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #45
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Hey Fred, are you or your drivers feeling a difference with this BBK? More bite? More power?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #46
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nut View Post
If you're sticking with your OEM 135i brakes, one option probably available soon is Carbotech http://www.ctbrakes.com/about.html I just sent them my pads for them to use as patterns -- they're laser cutting a couple hundred backing plates and I expect their entire line may be available for our cars. They're a top-drawer outfit -- ask for Danny.
i just sent them my 128i brakes to use as patterns... fyi to anyone looking for those...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #47
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

They already listed 128i on their product list. I guess it's in anticipation!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #48
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

We do have these Brembo Big Brake Kit Upgrades instock and ready to go.

Many people seem to think the Big Brake Kit Upgrade for the 1 series, especially the 135i, is just for looks, whenever any single item has been improved with performance in mind. Brembo does NOT ever make a brake system just for looks.
  • The new caliper is lighter, stiffer, and incorporates a better pad shape.
  • The new rotor is larger for increased heat capacity, lighter for reduced unsprung and rotational weight savings.
  • The use of a larger disc means that the piston size has to be selected accordingly to maintain optimum brake bias.
With the new piston diameter, the pedal becomes firmer, you get much more confidence, inspiring pedal feel, improved modulation and control. The OEM system was quite impressive when compared to other OEM type systems, especially those with traditional sliding calipers.
unfortunately they still must follow an OEM dictated criteria for "comfort" and "longevity" before performance and weight savings. By going to an aftermarket type system, you get a brake kit that was developed with performance as the main criteria. The bonus is that you still receive Brembo quality and longevity, + race like performance. This NEW 6-piston monobloc from Brembo is the closest an aftermarket system has ever come to a full motorsports type system. The performance from this system is on par with the GTR type Brembo systems we have all seen and drooled over in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #49
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

**********s, have you actually driven the car with the BBK or is that a marketing spiel?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #50
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Also, can anyone tell me if Pagid or any after market manufacturer already have track pads for this BBK? Otherwise it is a bit of a waste of time (and money!) changing the over right?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #51
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

As an Authorized dealer we have been through extensive training with Brembo at their Costa Mesa Facility; And while I may not have actually driven with these brakes on a 1-series, I do have experience with the NEW Monoblock brake systems first hand.

We do not use "marketing spiels", only that I just happen to be well versed on Brembo's products, technology, and business philosophy.

As of right now a few of the top manufacturers have pads for the Brembo kits in stock.

PFC
Porterfield
Ferodo
Hawk
Colbalt Friction
(and a couple others I can't rememeber)

Pagid is in the process of getting backing plates manufactured.
They should have their entire line available shortly.
(they are are larger company and just tend to move a bit slower)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #52
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Hey sorry, got swamped at work and after welding intercoolers and building exhaust manifolds (sorry not 135 stuff), the last thing I want to do is come online.

Other than doing the brake in procedure, I only had a couple of chances to really jump on the brakes. Initial bite is great with the Brembo street pads. Definite improvement over stock overall. Grips harder and the car does slow down faster. We're going to be testing this coming weekend I believe and our drivers should give more accurate feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hey Fred, are you or your drivers feeling a difference with this BBK? More bite? More power?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #53
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

All major brake pad manufacturer makes pads for aftermarket Brembo calipers including the 6 piston from the BBK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Also, can anyone tell me if Pagid or any after market manufacturer already have track pads for this BBK? Otherwise it is a bit of a waste of time (and money!) changing the over right?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #54
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Black (2015)

Just adding a couple points to this topic. I have been having the local Dinan shop doing some work on my 135i, which in addition to the Stage 2 tune, has included the installation of an H&R rear sway bar and the KW v2 coilover setup. They did a great job with not too much lowering, which is what I want. May need to tighten it up a tad, but overall very happy.

Dinan is now selling their version of this Brembo BBK, which I will be putting on. However, there are a couple of issues. First, I have the Breyton GTS-R wheels (7.5" 225/40 front, 8.5" 255/35 rear). With these wheels and this setup the BBK will not quite fit, and require a spacer, probably 1/4 inch in front. The rears are fine.

The trick is that I am already really pushing the fender up front, and unlike the rears which already have -1.8 degrees of camber put in, the fronts are not very adjustable. So now I have Vorshlag camber plates, which unfortunately had never been spec'd out for cars with the KW v2 (only V3). So I needed to swap some of the mounting hardware. I had the car apart yesterday but had to put it back until next week. Ugh. At least you all now know you can order Vorshlag plates for your 135s with V2s

The hope is that once I can get more negative camber in the front the spacer will fit just fine without rub and then the brakes will fit too. A big hassle, but honestly not horrible just because I needed the camber plates anyway and I love the weight of the wheels/tires.

Will let you guys know what happens after final measurements next week, and will hopefully then get the brakes a week or two later. Other than exhaust and intake, which can wait, I'll finally be done with this car! Well maybe seats....

Previous (all 6MT): Dinan 135i, E46 M3, 2007 Porsche GT3, 2012 Cayman R, 2003 Carrera 4S, 2001 Gemballa Boxster S, and some Audis.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #55
Chuckbilodeau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by partapgti View Post
piston dia equals better force distribution on the pads. i designed the brake system on the formula sae car. i will pull up the formula when i get home.

To obtain the greatest force between the brake pads and the rotors you will need the largest caliper pistons you can get coupled with the smallest diameter master cylinder bore that will move the required amount of brake fluid without excessive brake pedal travel. (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...rake_calc2.htm) good read for brake design.
Unfortunately, it would be a pain to change the size of our master cylinder. Cuz like you said... bigger pistons = more pedal travel (if stock master cyl), and less feel...

I used to race an E36 with an OEM brake setup, (brass sleeves in the calipers, PFC pads, slotted rotors, Motul brake fluid) and I won a championship with that.

The advantage of changing our brakes would come from floating rotors, and for race use...having no rubber dust booth around the pistons(that disintegrate anyway) around the pistons
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #56
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Holy Cow, way to bring a thread back from the dead. The last post was almost a year ago.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #57
Chuckbilodeau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

sorry, did not see the date...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #58
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

its ok! good thread, and lots of info!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #59
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Hi all,

Did anyone go for front and rear Grand Turismo kit?

Thank you!