BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding ZBE4 K-CAN4 Wake Up Message

06-12-2023, 07:12 AM   #1
Diamondback
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21, F31

ZBE4 K-CAN4 Wake Up Message

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of converting a silver/metalized ZBE4/ZBE06 iDrive Controller into a USB input device for usage within Windows for simulations and such.
I already successfully did this with a ZBE3 and then got hooked with the sleeker looking ZBE4 version. Little did I know that this one is for K-CAN4 rather than K-CAN2 and doesn't speak the same language as my ZBE3...

I'm struggling to find the correct CAN wake up message needed to remotely wake the controller, the stuff from the ZBE3 doesn't work anymore unfortunately.

What i tried so far:
  • Use ZBE3 wake-up message (id 0x563 with [0x63] as the data)
  • Google around for people running into the same problem
  • Brute-force same other data payload for the 0x563 message

Unfortunately to no avail. I know the communication works fine since the controller wakes up and sends button events when you manually press something. However, touch does not emit any data, the first press does not send any event and the rotary dial also does not wake up the controller, only the buttons do. (it also reacts to the 0x202 backlight message)
So, as is, it's not really that usable.

Hardware info:
  1. ZBE-06-TC
  2. HW: 02.01.01
  3. SW: 02.0B.00 (according to the sticker)
  4. Date: 23.08.19

Does anyone have any info about the specific message needed or maybe a K-CAN4 trace that you can share so that I search for possibly matching messages myself?

Help would be much appreciated, thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 03:49 AM   #2
emaflo78
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Arrow ZBE4 Wake Up

WAKE UP
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-> 202: FD
-> 202: FD
send it 2(3) times to wake up controler

-> 563: 63
start sending this every 1000-1500 milisec to keep it active
Appreciate 0