BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Coded Hifi Audio System to High Premium

01-09-2023, 06:08 AM   #1
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Coded Hifi Audio System to High Premium

I have the Hi-FI ( 676) system in my G30. Like most I have been chasing improvements to the Audio system, to date I have installed the following;

Bimmertech Amp
Bimmertech Speakers ( Center Dash, Subs, Rear deck)
B&W aftermarkets from door mid and tweeters.

These changes along with tweaking DSP settings in the Amp has resulted in much improved sound but I was looking for more

Worked with a coding friend yesterday to try and add B&W sound profiles and EQ. Long story short we could not get it to work, we think primarily because B&W has MOST (optical) connections not compatible with my system.

We backed that all out and started playing around with individual settings. Won't bore you with the iterations but were we landed;

Changed Audio_System setting from HiFi to High premium Also changed a couple of menu settings which the latter resulted in the B&W tone settings available through I-Drive. Also instead of the tone option it now displays Bowers and Wilkens Tone in the menu.

Results - B&W sound profiles Studio,Lounge etc, no discernable change in sound profile when switching.

However, volume sensitivity is significantly increased and it now sounds like a more powerful clean audio system. This could be the result of changing HiFi to high premium. I only need to turn audio volume up to 25% or so on all inputs including Carplay.

The only downside is the GONG and PDC warnings are very loud even if set to the lowest volume. I believe I can have the GONG coded out. Can live with increased PDC volume.

I am a little nervous about leaving things as they are as I fear I may over load the Bimmertech Amp if driving for a long period. I may pull the trunk trim out today and run the system for a while to see if the Amp heats up. As you can see I am no electrical engineer. I may also reach out to Bimmertech and run this buy them. I am thinking high premium may be the default HK setting and since Alpha One speakers are compatible with HK I may be OK.

Would appreciate any feedback from members with audio knowledge to confirm if my fears are warranted or are unfounded. Reverting the coding is easy enough but would love to keep it as is if it won't damage anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 02:41 AM   #2
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I have a basic stereo in my G31 and planning on an upgrade. What is the best I can get from the HU, yet sticking with analog signal? Is it High premium or is there any better (still analog) setting? I had the impression that HK, BW and BO are all digital. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep

Hi Mike, please refer to the attached thread. I had posted the same in the general section and it does appear someone has changed the setting with success in a "base" non amp system.

I for one am after an answer as to why the sound improved on non HK or BW system for me as well as the other poster. I don't know enough about the head unit architecture to say. I can tell you that there are multiple setting for AMP /HU etc and can tell you that the BW sound profiles and eq will not work for base or hifi systems.

I can also tell you that when we changed some of the settings to MOST ( Digitcal optical interface) I got no sound at all. So backed those out and just left the Premium Hi-FI setting. I do have a DSP AMP which I believe I am getting more out of with the premium setting.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1983045
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 05:51 AM   #4
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Hi, Peteinpa, appologies for my break-in. I got carried away reading your question and thought that you had gone the same way I am thinking about. Thank you for your answer
Appreciate 1
peteinpa396.00
      01-22-2023, 02:51 PM   #5
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G31 530d

Code it back to hifi...

You're overloading the amplifier. You're sending speaker level outputs to an amplifier that expects low level inputs. Leaving it like this will fry the inputs on the amplifier sooner or later and probably sooner then later when you often play on high volumes.

The Bimmertech amps are specifically modified to accept the output signal of the 'hifi' headunit. Nothing else.

Like you said, you have gained nothing except for the B&W tone settings that don't work anyway since they are handled over MOST in the B&W amp which you don't have.

Just put it back...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle View Post
Code it back to hifi...

You're overloading the amplifier. You're sending speaker level outputs to an amplifier that expects low level inputs. Leaving it like this will fry the inputs on the amplifier sooner or later and probably sooner then later when you often play on high volumes.

The Bimmertech amps are specifically modified to accept the output signal of the 'hifi' headunit. Nothing else.

Like you said, you have gained nothing except for the B&W tone settings that don't work anyway since they are handled over MOST in the B&W amp which you don't have.

Just put it back...
Thanks, The change has been reverted based on advice from bimmertech as well. What they felt safe doing is increasing the power output from their amp to the speakers.
I am not after high volume , in the end I want clarity and improved sound performance at lower volumes. Which to some degree has been achieved. Bimmertech offered a live tuning session which I am going to take them up on.
Appreciate 0