BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Switching between iDrive 7 and AA/CarPlay connections.

04-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Switching between iDrive 7 and AA/CarPlay connections.

I have a question about switching between AA/CarPlay connection and iDrive 7 connection. And I don't mean via the BMW icon. I searched the forum but have not found an answer.

When first connecting my Pixel 6 I select iDrive (and not Android Auto). Next I get a prompt on the phone to connect to DIRECT-BMWXXXX. Afterwards I see the Note, Phone, App and WiFi icons highlighted in the Mobile Devices menu and all connections work including Amazon Alexa (and other 3rd party app that requires App connection). If now I start Android Auto from iDrive, it opens fine. However now the App icon is dimmed and Alexa does not work--says something about connection not properly configured).

So, let's say I now want to return to the state I was in before AA (i.e. back to iDrive connection). I expected that by disconnecting from AA either iDrive would reconnect automatically or at least one would get a menu to choose iDrive. But no such thing! The only way to get back is to delete the phone and start all over again. I think the same happens with CarPlay though I have not tested that yet. Is this a bug or a "feature?" Do you see that on MY2020 or LCI? I am currently on 7/21 iDrive release.

Last edited by taskrov; 04-07-2022 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
You can toggle between iDrive and CarPlay/AA in the settings for the mobile device in the Mobile Devices menu. One will be a drop down that allows you to toggle without deleting the phone.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #3
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
You can toggle between iDrive and CarPlay/AA in the settings for the mobile device in the Mobile Devices menu. One will be a drop down that allows you to toggle without deleting the phone.
I finally had some time to mess with this and try my wife's iPhone 12. This is what I observed with iDrive 7 "lite":

BMW on-board WiFi router has two channels: 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, both sharing the same SSID: DIRECT-BMW VIN. 5 Ghz connection is used for iDrive and AA (and CarPlay) while the 2.4 Ghz is used for BMW Apps (e.g. Amazon Alexa)

iPhone 12 (latest iOS):

1. With iPhone the switch between iDrive and CarPlay is done with radio buttons as LogicalApex wrote.

2. By default, myBMW app on the iPhone runs in the background and the App icon in Mobile Devices screen is highlighted, no user action required, and Amazon Alexa can be called up in either iDrive or CarPlay connection mode.

3. iPhone works perfectly with iDrive 7. No hick-ups.

Google Pixel 6 (April software update):

1. Switching between iDrive and Android Auto (AA) happens via AA connect/disconnect on the Mobile Devices menu. Thus disconnecting AA switches to iDrive and vice versa.

2. To make Apps connection one has to have myBMW open. On Pixel 6 I had to allow the app to run in the background. By default, to extend battery life, the app is set to "optimize." It needs to be "Always."

3. I have attached a document showing what the Mobile Devices screen looks like under different conditions.

4. I tested this in my garage. On the road I have experienced WiFi disconnects. They last about 1-2 seconds. AA disconnects, connection drops to iDrive, then reconnects to AA and resumes guidance, if active. This is a bit annoying and I am not sure who to blame, Google or BMW.

5. I like how AA splits the screen to show two apps at a time and how it switches between them. Under CarPlay, AA/Waze takes up the whole screen.

In iDrive mode, the phone and Media go via iDrive. in AA mode, Media (e.g podcasts, music) go via phone (but of course on can still use iDrive to listen to iDrive sources like SiriusXM.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AA.pdf (1.14 MB, 67 views)

Last edited by taskrov; 04-19-2022 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6277.50