BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Early (2017) G31 Carplay and GPS issue

04-20-2023, 05:33 PM   #1
tiernano
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D (EU 306BHP)

Question Early (2017) G31 Carplay and GPS issue

Morning all.

So, I have a very early (5th April 2017) G31 touring with Carplay enabled (IIRC, the firmware version starts with X and has widescreen support). The "problem" I have seems to be GPS related... every now and again, GPS in CarPlay goes "off the reservation" and thinks I'm doing U-Turns on roads, or driving into side roads when I am driving straight ahead. This is a pain in the A$$... and when travelling through tunnels, it rolls the dice to figure out where I am, and 99 times out of 10 gets it wrong...

Any documentation I have found states that the CAR GPS and location info, including the compass info, is meant to be used for CarPlay, not the iPhones... So, is there a setting I am missing? Is this something that can be coded using BimmerCode?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 05:20 AM   #2
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

I think you may have this issue:
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=279
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 06:12 AM   #3
tiernano
Rep

I don't think I do, but how would I check the status? Seems to show some screens, but not how to get to them... The reason I don't think its the case is the GPS on the built-in NAV seems to work correctly... its the link back to CarPlay that's the issue... I can try it out if I can get to those screens... Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #4
tiernano
Rep

went and did some digging, and the firmware starts with a Y, not an X, so in theory, it's newer than I thought. also, I tried removing the existing CarPlay connection and recreating it, thinking I may have missed something, but no... There doesn't seem to be anything in the settings either... So, still stuck...
Appreciate 0