BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Oil filter cap stem for 2019 G30 540i xDrive?

10-14-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
Runnerup66
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Question Oil filter cap stem for 2019 G30 540i xDrive?

I may get flamed about this but I need a confirmation.

About a month ago I did my own oil change on my 2019 BMW G30 540i xDrive. While I was changing the filter something seemed a bit off when I was removing the filter. Literally the process went like this:

1) I removed the oil filter cap but the filter was still in place at the oil filter housing (not broken down or anything).
2) I had to reach my hand down in the engine bay to manually remove the filter from the oil filter housing where it holds the filter.
3) When I put in the new filter in my oil filter cap there was no “click”. Like as if I had to literally do everything in reverse.

I finished the whole oil change, first time I’m doing it myself on this car but I’ve had it changed a long time ago by a reputable Indy shop awhile back as well. Only owned the car for about a year and some change now.

Looking at numerous videos on YouTube specifying the G30 series obviously it seems like there should be something in the oil filter cap that holds the filter in place?

I don’t mean to provide a link outside of these forums but there’s a discussion about this for the previous generations: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620552

I also did verify on the old filter, the “stem” was not there.

Can I get a confirmation on this from you guys if there should be a stem in your oil filter cap for the G30 series?

Regardless I will probably order a new oil filter cap just to have a peace of mind.

No codes, no issues with pushing the engine.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 01:23 PM   #2
Runnerup66
Rep

The new oil filter didn’t “snap” in to the oil filter cap if that makes sense. I ordered an oil change kit from FCP euro so I know I got the right filter and oil as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 11:06 AM   #3
Runnerup66
Rep

Well for the sake of peace of mind I ordered a new oil filter cap from ECP Tuning and installed the new oil filter cap. There is a stem so if you are making oil changes I would double check to see if you have the stem or if the oil filter cap just removes without the filter attached, I would double check to make sure if the stem got stuck in the filter.

The link I provided before discusses the importance of the stem in the F-series but I have no information on how it is important for the G30 or G series in general.

The manufacturer part number is 11427926064.

I have pictures but have no idea how to upload it on this discussion via my phone. Once I find the time later I’ll try it on my computer.
Appreciate 0