BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Those with Dash Cams - Why and What for?

04-18-2022, 06:29 PM   #23
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPMKING View Post
So I finally installed the Fitcamx. Initial thoughts:

Took 2 weeks to arrive from China which matches the listed delivery time on their website. The direction provided was ok, could've been better. Installation was not too bad, although be prepared to spend time removing the stock cable if you have big hands, and want all the dash cam wires to fit snug after snapping trims back in.

It definitely looks OEM when installed. IMO most wouldn't even know it's there. It can't really be seen outside too. I was concerned that my E-ZPass reader would block the camera view but it didn't. The video quality is decent and good enough to read license plate up close. Also voice recording inside the car is good. The camera begins recording once you unlock the car. The camera continues to record with ignition turned off. When the car eventually powered off or locked with key, it recorded for an additional 8 minutes.

The app definitely needs work. Can't view video on your phone unless you turn off cellular data. Even after doing this playback didn't work. Not a huge deal as I won't be viewing video regularly. Like my past dash cam, I didn't look at images unless something happened. But it would be nice to just view on phone instead of removing sd card to view on laptop.

Overall I think it's worth it as it gives a clean OEM look when installed.
I have the same and using android. I can view my recordings from my phone. No need to take out the sd card or use a laptop. Not sure the difference.

Ive had this camera for a while and for the integrated look, this is the one to get. Definitely recommend it and Joe, its more of a piece of mind I guess to have things recording just incase, you never know type of thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #24
PPMKING
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3LaZeN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPMKING View Post
So I finally installed the Fitcamx. Initial thoughts:

Took 2 weeks to arrive from China which matches the listed delivery time on their website. The direction provided was ok, could've been better. Installation was not too bad, although be prepared to spend time removing the stock cable if you have big hands, and want all the dash cam wires to fit snug after snapping trims back in.

It definitely looks OEM when installed. IMO most wouldn't even know it's there. It can't really be seen outside too. I was concerned that my E-ZPass reader would block the camera view but it didn't. The video quality is decent and good enough to read license plate up close. Also voice recording inside the car is good. The camera begins recording once you unlock the car. The camera continues to record with ignition turned off. When the car eventually powered off or locked with key, it recorded for an additional 8 minutes.

The app definitely needs work. Can't view video on your phone unless you turn off cellular data. Even after doing this playback didn't work. Not a huge deal as I won't be viewing video regularly. Like my past dash cam, I didn't look at images unless something happened. But it would be nice to just view on phone instead of removing sd card to view on laptop.

Overall I think it's worth it as it gives a clean OEM look when installed.
I have the same and using android. I can view my recordings from my phone. No need to take out the sd card or use a laptop. Not sure the difference.

Ive had this camera for a while and for the integrated look, this is the one to get. Definitely recommend it and Joe, its more of a piece of mind I guess to have things recording just incase, you never know type of thing.
I use an iPhone, so I'm not sure if that matters. I'm also using the Fitcamx app. Not a big deal for me since I'm not looking at video daily.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #25
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
@HerkHealer
      05-04-2022, 04:13 PM   #26
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
@HerkHealer
I wasnt concerned about anyone "joy riding" my M550 until this past weekend.
Long story short, had 4 new tires put on, new software and repaired a bent wheel. I dropped the car off with MyBMW telling me it had 105 miles until empty. Picked it up with 50 miles until empty. They drove my car a total of 12 miles. My trip meter told me the average fuel economy was 7 or 8 mpg. The brand new software deleted all my settings, but when I picked her up my Idrive home screen was setup with all the M gauges on display.
Put that all together and you tell me what you think happened. This was at a BMW M certified Dealership.

THAT is why I am getting a Dash Cam.

Last edited by HerkHealer; 05-04-2022 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337337.50