BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing EGR cooler issue - best year to buy.

02-03-2023, 05:24 PM   #1
RIDAIR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D (GŁ))

EGR cooler issue - best year to buy.

Hi,

I hope someone can advise. I want a used BMW 5 Series G30 2L diesel that doesn't have the EGR coolant issues (I know 2018 variants did). I have read about cars getting recalled 3 times. Ive read that BMW have settled on newer Borg & Warner EGR Valve/Coolers.

Have BMW sorted out the problem and what year of cars have the newer Borg & Warner EGR/EGR cooler unit fitted as standard from factory. Does anyone know how confident that this EGR has fixed the issue or should BMW diesels be avoided now. If the police have lost confidence in BMW, then should everyone else. Problem is I like diesels and the 5 series is such a stunning looker.

Thank-you in advance.

RIDAIR
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
Safely written
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30, F11, G31

mine (2018 G31) was checked and a software update installed for now. BMW said it may need replacing in the future
Appreciate 0