BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Vertical Aim Control Malfunction Help

04-11-2024, 01:29 PM   #1
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Vertical Aim Control Malfunction Help

Over the last month I've been dealing with an intermittent error message pop up "Vertical Aim Control Malfunction" related to the head lights. The error comes and goes but what I have noticed (irrespective of the error message being posted or not) is that my lights are pointed down. When driving at night only the first 15-20 ft of the road is illuminated infront of my car.

I understand there are headlight level sensors on the front and rear, driver side control arms that are used to control the headlight position. I've checked both visually to see if there was an obvious issue and they both look fine. When I scan the car using bimmerlink I get error code "8041D5". Looking up that exact error code doesn't help much, aside from a ton of other model and error codes that are not EXACT to mine. I did lower my car about 8 months ago from X-drive m-sport suspension to Eibach prokit springs.

I could buy a new sensor easily enough but I'm not sure if I need one, two or nothing at all. Can these head lights be re-calibrated? Anyone have this issue and can provide some guidance?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 04:49 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

When you did the lowering did you reprogram your height level measurements in ISTA? Requires measurement from wheel centre straight up to fender edge Inputted to ISTA. Your now lower so the measurements will be off if you didn’t and you may be outside limits which is throwing the error.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:19 PM   #3
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

No matter the model, all of them indicate "Ride height sensors front left or right, signal: Line disconnection (open circuit) or short circuit". I would check that your sensor or the lines to it is still good.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 11:03 AM   #4
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
No matter the model, all of them indicate "Ride height sensors front left or right, signal: Line disconnection (open circuit) or short circuit". I would check that your sensor or the lines to it is still good.
The fact that it's intermittent could it be the sensor itself? I will double check the front connector and lines again, thanks!
Appreciate 0