BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions g30 on Buttonwillow track

06-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

g30 on Buttonwillow track

Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
ryanasimov
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

Sucks to pay for track time and get stuck behind slow cars for nearly the entire time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #3
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

My god, do you have to wait for a point by to overtake? Are all US trackdays like that?

If there's a straight and you have more power, you should be able to go for the overtake, if you're faster overall but don't have the power on the straight, the other car should slow down to let you by, if they fail to do that after a couple of straights the Marshalls should wave blue flags at them to show there is faster car behind.

There's no way I'd have sat behind that guy for that long.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanasimov View Post
Sucks to pay for track time and get stuck behind slow cars for nearly the entire time.
So we got 3 sessions 20min each and 4th 30min.

This is my 3rd track day and second with this car. I have been signing up in beginners but this was it, I will be moving up to Intermediate 1 next time around.

Some people are just D*cks and won't point you by and you can't pass until they do cuz that's the rule for beginners to avoid mistakes, etc.

Either way the highlight of the day was passing a Porsche lol while I am in a family sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
My god, do you have to wait for a point by to overtake? Are all US trackdays like that?

If there's a straight and you have more power, you should be able to go for the overtake, if you're faster overall but don't have the power on the straight, the other car should slow down to let you by, if they fail to do that after a couple of straights the Marshalls should wave blue flags at them to show there is faster car behind.

Flag marshal did flag some guys but then again, when you're cocky and still think you're faster, you just won't point by but no this is beginners group and you have to wait for point by. I got tired after this and did pass a vette without waiting for point by lol

Passing a Porsche is why I uploaded the video mainly, everything else was slow anyways
Appreciate 1
G50956.00
      06-22-2021, 12:52 AM   #6
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeth-G30 View Post
Quote:

Flag marshal did flag some guys but then again, when you're cocky and still think you're faster, you just won't point by but no this is beginners group and you have to wait for point by. I got tired after this and did pass a vette without waiting for point by lol

Passing a Porsche is why I uploaded the video mainly, everything else was slow anyways
Well you're definitely ready for the next group, great driving, especially for hustling a large non-M BMW.

Can you tell me your setup for brakes, suspension and tyres? Even though you were held up by slower drivers i still imagine the standard brakes wouldn't have held up very long.

And did you notice the DSC braking the rear wheels on corner entry, even with it turned off? (presuming you turned it off) It seems really intrusive on the G30, braking on corner entry when the corner speed is probably only 70% of what the car is capable of. Never had this issue with my F31.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #7
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Dude, let me know when you plan on going again, I'd love to take my G30 out on the track.

I was gonna say, why weren't they pointing to let you pass?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:30 AM   #8
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well you're definitely ready for the next group, great driving, especially for hustling a large non-M BMW.

Can you tell me your setup for brakes, suspension and tyres? Even though you were held up by slower drivers i still imagine the standard brakes wouldn't have held up very long.

And did you notice the DSC braking the rear wheels on corner entry, even with it turned off? (presuming you turned it off) It seems really intrusive on the G30, braking on corner entry when the corner speed is probably only 70% of what the car is capable of. Never had this issue with my F31.
Thank you very much, I got better as I should say over period of time but watching track instruction videos before track helped me put all of that info in practice and stay on top of everyone's ass until they point me by haha.

Alright you might be surprised how good the car already is as it comes depending on options picked (I got it used but it was loaded). So the car came with DHP from factory so I didn't change anything on suspension cuz it stiffens up in Sport+ anyways so that keeps it very stable for it's weight.

It came with Blue M-sport brakes so I didn't change anything except Stainless steel brake lines and Castrol SRF dot 4 racing brake fluid. During this track run my front rotors were pretty worn out but pads were brand new, rear pads were brand new as well but rotors were alright, got another 10k miles before I need replacement on the rears and waiting to install new rotors as soon as they come.

The stock brake bite is so good that I didn't go towards drilled/slotted with ceramic pads, rims are matte bronze so I really didn't care for brake dust either.

Tires are the shittiest cheapest tires you can find lol I am running 265 front and 295 rear, Delinte all season tires. If it helps, I only paid like $530 for all 4 brand new so you can guess how cheap they must be. I do a lot of Canyon cutting with other groups and I am on their ass lol.

The point of the story is, I have NOT changed anything on the car but definitely learned about the car and myself in the car on handling that what you put on it matters less and how you handle/drive it matters more. Aka more seat time makes you much better drives and if the Porsche with the best setup from factory with stickiest tires and best brakes couldn't keep up with a family sedan. Again, not being cocky or anything but IMHO, nothing matters more than seat time. Kinda like how they say there are fast cars but there are fast drivers.

So however your car came, it is already perfect enough, I was beating the car in 108F outside temps and my tires were at 183F. This by far is the worst temps you can beat your car in and it held up like a mf!

Last track run I had all traction on, didn't change anything but it would kick in every moment it gets which was ALWAYS and that would let an EVO behind me catch up to me. This time I just had DTC on and DSC still off (active) aka pressed traction button once only to have DTC on. It was still breaking loose a lot but this was much better power delivery. I only tried full traction OFF last time on this track and I spun out so that will take a while before I can learn to drive this car without any traction controls being turned off.

E30 on this engine is a beast
Appreciate 1
G50956.00
      06-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
Dude, let me know when you plan on going again, I'd love to take my G30 out on the track.

I was gonna say, why weren't they pointing to let you pass?
Man I really wish there was another 5er there, would be sooo dope! I definitely will post here next time they do this again, I prefer buttonwillow and next one is in October. Are you from NorCal or SoCal cuz there are a lot of spirited drives too a lot of the times so it be fun if you can join.

A lot of people naturally think that it's a big sedan but oh man, I was whooping everyone's ass at least in this group of cars lol.

Yeah beginners group so gotta wait and some are just one of those left lane huger type people who just wont let u pass. Will do Intermediate 1 moving forward and no point by's required and you can pass anywhere.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      06-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
nizmugen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, G30 530e

Let me know next time you're out there!
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #11
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmugen View Post
Let me know next time you're out there!
Yeah for sure, I will post an event times, etc here so whoever wants to go can sign up
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      06-23-2021, 06:53 AM   #12
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeth-G30 View Post
Man I really wish there was another 5er there, would be sooo dope! I definitely will post here next time they do this again, I prefer buttonwillow and next one is in October. Are you from NorCal or SoCal cuz there are a lot of spirited drives too a lot of the times so it be fun if you can join.

A lot of people naturally think that it's a big sedan but oh man, I was whooping everyone's ass at least in this group of cars lol.

Yeah beginners group so gotta wait and some are just one of those left lane huger type people who just wont let u pass. Will do Intermediate 1 moving forward and no point by's required and you can pass anywhere.

I used to live in SoCal, moved to Central Ca so Buttonwillow is only about an hour and a half from me now. Would love to run with other 5ers out there.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #13
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
I used to live in SoCal, moved to Central Ca so Buttonwillow is only about an hour and a half from me now. Would love to run with other 5ers out there.
Oh perfect, did you join up California Canyon Cutters? People organize nice spirited runs sometimes so it will be fun having another 5er on one of the ones but might be really far for you depending on where you at, I am in Sac
Appreciate 0