BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions G-series 6WB Virginization.

02-23-2023, 07:27 AM   #23
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Its really not that hard at all. I've done it maybe 8 times now, you can do it without breaking anything. The dash part where the center AC vents are located can be pulled straight out without any pry tools. Just make sure to remove the screws located on the far right of the dash. The screw is hidden behind a panel that is only accessible when the passenger door is open. You will need a pry tool to remove the panel, unless you have long and super strong nails.

Make sure your steering wheel is positioned all the way down and proximal to you. The panel above the steering column can be removed by lifting it up and pushing the two arms towards the center to disengage them. Once disengaged from their "track" the panel will lift straight up.

The trim on the left side with the driver vent can be popped out the same as the center dash trim, access the screw and then pull the unit straight out.

From there you can access 4 screws holding the gauge cluster in. To remove the cluster, I forget if you need to lift it up like a garage door and pull out, or if you're supposed to lay it down and pull out. It will make more sense when you get to that point. The trim around the cluster is just clipped on and you can easily remove it.

You don't need to remove any wires from the dash pieces, you will have plenty of space to work around.

If this is your first time doing this, take your time and really study how each part fits together to avoid breaking anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #24
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I also wanted to mention, since you're in SoCal that there is a shop in LA that can code the cluster for you if you need it.

https://www.bimmerretrola.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 04:22 PM   #25
kup.nik95
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW E82 and 2006 BMW E53

Quote:
Originally Posted by beema_geeza View Post
I already have 6WB but I’m going to retrofit the full digital blackout version.
My car has hud but the kombi I’m buying doesn’t.
On the back is a silver box that is identical to the blackout version. This is where hud plugs into. Does anyone know if I just swap the boxes, hud will function as before?

There are 2 versions to this kombi, this one with silver box is for evo which is why it’s got the blue plug that goes to the evo orange connector.

The id7 version is different on the back it has the black plug and a purple connector for hud. I don’t think it requires hsd cable to mgu

I think the only difference is the rings are missing on the full blackout version, I don’t think there’s any actual change to the kombi unit. So is it worth it?

It’s simple if you have the correct tools to virgin the eeprom so once I’ve done it I’ll put on here.
I’ve fitted a few kombi units in F20 F30 etc
I ran into the same issue. The cluster I have doesn’t have a plug for HUD but my car does. Did you figure out if you can just replace the box? Please let me know
Appreciate 0