BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding M550 - Disabled driver assistance after small fender bender

01-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
Jonnie Cache
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Exclamation M550 - Disabled driver assistance after small fender bender

Hello! I'm hoping someone here can help me. I hit a small pole the other day. I want to get the vehicle repaired (bumper and headlight) without going through insurance. I am in the process of getting estimates, but the shops I have talked to are very busy.

In the meantime, the car detected the "collision" even though it was minor. Because of that, it has disabled driver assistance. Since it is a lease, I'd rather not have the dealer address the iDrive issue if possible. Is there a way to tell the car that everything is okay and it can re-enable driver assistance?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

Can you take a picture of the damage? Perhaps it might have damaged the radar. As it sits low on the bumper
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
One of my neighbors scraped my bumper while parking. When my car went for repairs, they had to send the car to the dealer to recalibrate the driver assistance systems. Repair shops said once the bumper was off, it had to be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Jonnie Cache
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
Can you take a picture of the damage? Perhaps it might have damaged the radar. As it sits low on the bumper
I can take pictures of the damage, but I'm pretty positive that the radar is untouched. The radar, I believe, is in the middle of the bumper. The damage is right under the left headlight.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Jonnie Cache
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
One of my neighbors scraped my bumper while parking. When my car went for repairs, they had to send the car to the dealer to recalibrate the driver assistance systems. Repair shops said once the bumper was off, it had to be done.
I was afraid that might be the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

The radar is, indeed, in the middle, but there are other sensors at the corners. If one is damaged or misaligned, the system will malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

On my 530e I see what appear to be two sensors on each front corner fender. My guess is that one of those was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Jonnie Cache
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
The radar is, indeed, in the middle, but there are other sensors at the corners. If one is damaged or misaligned, the system will malfunction.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
Jonnie Cache
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
On my 530e I see what appear to be two sensors on each front corner fender. My guess is that one of those was damaged.
I was afraid of that
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Cache View Post
Hello! I'm hoping someone here can help me. I hit a small pole the other day. I want to get the vehicle repaired (bumper and headlight) without going through insurance. I am in the process of getting estimates, but the shops I have talked to are very busy.

In the meantime, the car detected the "collision" even though it was minor. Because of that, it has disabled driver assistance. Since it is a lease, I'd rather not have the dealer address the iDrive issue if possible. Is there a way to tell the car that everything is okay and it can re-enable driver assistance?
try contacting a company called LKQ. they deal in collision parts. they will pull it send it to you and offer a warranty. and its good quality.

also another one is car-parts.com its a locator for salvage yards you might get lucky and find a g30 that as the parts that you need
Appreciate 0