BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Comfort lighting not working

12-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Comfort lighting not working

I set the headlights or whatever lights are used for this function on 60 seconds but the second I open my door to get out it shuts off. I have my headlight switch on auto at all times and tried setting it to the manual headlights all the way to the right and I think it kind of helped but they didn't stay on for 60 seconds. Is there a trick to this?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
I set the headlights or whatever lights are used for this function on 60 seconds but the second I open my door to get out it shuts off. I have my headlight switch on auto at all times and tried setting it to the manual headlights all the way to the right and I think it kind of helped but they didn't stay on for 60 seconds. Is there a trick to this?
Aren't the comfort lights the lights that shine down from the door handles?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

It's "Pathway Lighting". Need to put on high beams as exiting car.

Headlight courtesy delay feature

General information

The low beams stay lit for a particular time if the high beams are switched on after standby state is switched on.

Setting the duration

Via iDrive:

"My Vehicle"
"Vehicle settings"
"Lighting"
"Exterior lighting"
"Pathway lighting"
Select the desired setting.
      12-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Was sure what it was called and I was leaving work in a rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post

General information

The low beams stay lit for a particular time if the high beams are switched on after standby state is switched on.

Setting the duration

Via iDrive:

"My Vehicle"
"Vehicle settings"
"Lighting"
"Exterior lighting"
"Pathway lighting"
So if I want to keep the headlights on I have to remember to turn on the brights? There's gotta be a way to code that this isn't necessary. If the setting is on in the menu it should be automatic.
      12-29-2018, 03:16 AM   #5
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

They use to be called Follow Me Home lights. On the previous BMWs you would pull the high beam headlight stalk towards you to activate. In the G30 it's now the opposite and you push stalk forward as if manually putting high beams on.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
      12-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

General information

Setting the duration

Via iDrive:

"My Vehicle"
"Vehicle settings"
"Lighting"
"Exterior lighting"
"Pathway lighting"
So if I want to keep the headlights on I have to remember to turn on the brights? There's gotta be a way to code that this isn't necessary. If the setting is on in the menu it should be automatic.
That may be it however to enable the follow me home timed function of the headlights you have to pull enable the high beams from the left stalk even if you have the time out specified and the headlight switch set to Auto.

You have to pull the stalk towards you to enable follow me home.

This is the way it has work in every BMW product I have owned going back 15+ years.

Personally, I would hate to have the headlights stay on every time I exit the car.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
That may be it however to enable the follow me home timed function of the headlights you have to pull enable the high beams from the left stalk even if you have the time out specified and the headlight switch set to Auto.

This is the way it has work in every BMW product I have owned going back 15+ years.

Personally, I would hate to have the headlights stay on every time I exit the car.
This is my first BMW so I'll just have to get used to tapping the stalk when I need them on. This is mainly for my long tandem garage when I get home at night so I don't bang my shins on something.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I think you push away from you for high beams and path lighting. The auto is nice but I prefer having to do it manually too. Now no has to remind me that you left your lights on in the middle of the day. Also you can sneak home. I don't have too.

Oh yea those settings all the way to the right are a German thing. They are for parking on the street and leaving the running lights on either side on all night. Had them on my Benz. Can be useful if car is parked in narrow street or in bad weather.
      01-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #9
Beemerguy530
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

General information

Setting the duration

Via iDrive:

"My Vehicle"
"Vehicle settings"
"Lighting"
"Exterior lighting"
"Pathway lighting"

It's push stalk forward now in G30. Pull towards only flashes headlights. At least it is in UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
StuW530e
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 545e M Sport

Mine switch off when I get out of the car (switch left on auto) but I just press the unlock button and the lights come back on for 20secs, if needs be I just press unlock again and then lock it once I am through the front door. Hope that helps..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Found this in the owners manual; sounds like you have two options, either using the headlight stalk when exiting the vehicle, or lock the doors and use the panic button:

Switching on the headlight courtesy delay feature:

Press the panic button on the remote control.

Set the duration. [in the online manual this links to the iDrive section]

Note this shouldn't activate the panic alarm. Per the manual that requires holding the panic button for three seconds or pressing the button three times in succession.
      01-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #12
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Found this in the owners manual; sounds like you have two options, either using the headlight stalk when exiting the vehicle, or lock the doors and use the panic button:

Switching on the headlight courtesy delay feature:

Press the panic button on the remote control.

Set the duration. [in the online manual this links to the iDrive section]

Note this shouldn't activate the panic alarm. Per the manual that requires holding the panic button for three seconds or pressing the button three times in succession.
Yes! You are absolutely correct about the panic button. Forgot that one. Just don't keep it pressed too long else the alarm siren will trigger.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0