BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Misting / Moisture

11-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
thomam
Rep
Drives: G30 520d M Sport

Misting / Moisture

As the temperatures start to drop, I'm seeing quite a lot of interior misting and almost moisture on the interior of the windscreen of my G30 each morning. Even after the max demist has done its stuff, there's typically that sheen on the inside of the screen that significantly impairs visibility in low sun and has to be wiped away with a good cloth - pretty well on every use. Not even my A5 Cab (which took an age to demist) retained such a level of residual mankiness on the inside of the screen - and the wife's 218i Cab demists quickly to a crystal clear screen.

Anyone else seeing anything similar or got any thoughts? Car only used every couple of days and for short mileage at the moment, so might just be that it never really gets fully warmed inside?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomam View Post
As the temperatures start to drop, I'm seeing quite a lot of interior misting and almost moisture on the interior of the windscreen of my G30 each morning. Even after the max demist has done its stuff, there's typically that sheen on the inside of the screen that significantly impairs visibility in low sun and has to be wiped away with a good cloth - pretty well on every use. Not even my A5 Cab (which took an age to demist) retained such a level of residual mankiness on the inside of the screen - and the wife's 218i Cab demists quickly to a crystal clear screen.

Anyone else seeing anything similar or got any thoughts? Car only used every couple of days and for short mileage at the moment, so might just be that it never really gets fully warmed inside?
Hi mate,

I get what you mean,living in the north like yourself well north east coast. we have been quite cold here past couple of days.

I have noticed this too but i think it may be more so that the windows need a clean on the inside.

My car gets its winter wheels on Thursday so hopefully they will do a proper clean and then see after that.

I have only noticed it now since its got colder
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I assume you have the a/c on?
If not suggest you leave on (all the time)
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      11-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Same with my car (North East). However spraying with the screen washer seems to be doing the trick.
      11-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Never seen this with the A/C on ever, you may need to drive a few more miles to warm thing through. Or get the A/C checked.
      11-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Forgive me for being stupid but why do you need to use the A/C ? Don't use mine and all works fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
hantsxlg
Rep
Drives: 530e

A/c dehumidifies the air. Personally in all my cars in the last 15 years the a/c button is permanently on. The few times i tried turning it off the car fogged up and the mpg seemed pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
Forgive me for being stupid but why do you need to use the A/C ? Don't use mine and all works fine.
Never ever turned off the A/C in any car I've owned.
      11-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

Me too. Always thought best practice as the refrigerant contains a sealant and lubricant to help seal the pipes and ensure that gas does not leak out.

Might be worth trying your a/c on max to ensure that it is working as you expect anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
Never ever turned off the A/C in any car I've owned.
Each to their own
Mine gets switched on a couple of times a year by the wife. My preference is just for fresh air ideally via the windows, just dislike air con.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Same question. Same solution.

I'm in one of the wettest, high humidity and wide temperature swing areas in Scotland, probably the whole country. Live at the meeting of two rivers, so see the atmosphere hanging in moisture many days of the year.

F11, use A/C for dehumidifying all year around and no misting at all. Screens/windows don't ever have moisture on the inside in the mornings.

Wet windows inside, either the car is moisture laden inside due to lack of dehumidifying in use, or there is an ingress of water.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Okay then, switch on AC all the time
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #13
Klinkschakel
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

Driving short distances is also not good as the car doesn't warm up. I drive every day 1-2 hours and in the Dutch climate no problem the last weeks. Not even turn on the rear window heating last few weeks.
My wife car on the other hand, drives 5-10 minutes and sometimes days not, wet as hell.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:50 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep

I have had a/c in my cars for donkeys years and have always left on all the time. Never ever had condensation inside the car as a result.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
thomam
Rep
Drives: G30 520d M Sport

Thanks for various comments. Yes, A/C is on permanently, but I suspect that the infrequent / short journeys are not letting it dehumidify sufficiently. Windows get properly cleaned once the Max demist has cleared them and there's no obvious moisture (have a pet hate of people rubbing the window while it's still misty and smearing moisture all over it).

Took a longer trip across to Glasgow at the weekend and despite the low temps, there appeared to be less of an issue, so the solution appear to be "drive it more" - which won't be a hardship!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:52 AM   #16
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Three considerations. But first we should understand why mist occurs. It’s basically condensation of moisture in the air onto the inside of the windows because either a) the window temp drops or b) the moisture increases in the air or c) combination of the two.

Usually when you start the whole process in the morning (for those without temp controlled garage etc) the air will be cold inside the car but there shouldn’t be any mist on the inside of the windows.

As you start the car and sit in the car you are increasing the moisture in the air by breathing. If the windows are cold enough and the moisture in be air saturates mist will start to form. Therefore although the points below talk about demisting in reality you can use those techniques to stop the mist forming in the first place!

1) As most have said a/c will do a v good job - usually regardless of the options below - this removes moisture from the air - so stops misting from occurring and if condensation is on the windows will cause it to evaporate into the dry air.
2) recirculating the air - this setting is generally terrible for causing mist. The moisture in the air (which is ever increasing from your breathing) has nowhere to go but to start condensing.
3) temperature of the air and windows - hotter air can hold more moisture and hotter windows will allow less condensation onto it.

If you’re finding the inside of the windows has lots of mist on it before you get in then there’s something else pretty wrong!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #17
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Oh and no issues with misting in my g30. Although I keep in a garage I also don’t find I need to use ac even now in winter.

In fact aside from the rear demist function and very occasionally the front demist function ( usually when I’ve stupidly forgotten to turn circulation off after passing a bad smell) I’ve not had to do anything special st all. No ac and no blasting hot air.

In fact aside from the sunshine crackles on the dash I find the climate control pretty awesome in the g30.

Oh and I have that ionic thing on all the time. Dunno what it does but I like the graphic on the display so kept it on!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
Signpost
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 520d SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomam View Post

Glad I saw this as I have the same problem and was beginning to think that my 5 month old G30 had a water leak problem - perhaps from the interior door membranes.

In my case the problem occurs in the late evening in South of England after the car has been driven 10 miles and parked for about five hours.

The problem is so bad that I now place a double skinned piece of cardboard on the inside on the windscreen when parked and that seems to solve the immediate problem.

I have now started to experiment with the a similar remedy for the inside of the rear screen as I otherwis reach my destination before the Rear Screen Heater Element clears all of the moisture.

Have owned a number of other cars and never had so much condensation but none of these had Sun Protection Glass. However, my G30 has this option.. As unlikely as it may seem, could this be part of the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signpost View Post
Glad I saw this as I have the same problem and was beginning to think that my 5 month old G30 had a water leak problem - perhaps from the interior door membranes.

In my case the problem occurs in the late evening in South of England after the car has been driven 10 miles and parked for about five hours.

The problem is so bad that I now place a double skinned piece of cardboard on the inside on the windscreen when parked and that seems to solve the immediate problem.

I have now started to experiment with the a similar remedy for the inside of the rear screen as I otherwis reach my destination before the Rear Screen Heater Element clears all of the moisture.

Have owned a number of other cars and never had so much condensation but none of these had Sun Protection Glass. However, my G30 has this option.. As unlikely as it may seem, could this be part of the problem?
Must ask on what settings you run the HVAC system? Are all the vents open and reasonable air flows? How are you generating that amount of moisture?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #20
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

OP - have you also tried cleaning the inside of the windscreen with a teatowel and window cleaner, to make sure you've got no grease / plastic fume residues etc ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M Sport Med Blue

I have a 530e and haven't been using the AC much as it zaps the battery quicker (in previous cars AC was permanently on) and I have noticed the windows fog up a lot. There was no moisture for 2-3 wks after getting the car but with the colder temperatures, there is a lot more moisture in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
manamal
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 520 M Sport

I am 5 weeks in to having my new G30 and one of the first things I noticed was the misting \ demisting issues with the interior and the headlights.

Attached Images show issues

However it turns out that the default air-con settings were not set correctly so it was completely my fault for the interior, as for the headlights I have got to just put that down to its shipping (as the car too 2 weeks more than the expected delivery date due to the festive period - allegedly) .

Lets see if there are any further issues

M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0