BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Misting / Moisture

02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I never turn my AC on in winter. I think of AC for summer use only to cool things down. In winter all I do is turn the heat temperature up and let the fans do their thing and car warms right up.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #24
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I never turn my AC on in winter. I think of AC for summer use only to cool things down. In winter all I do is turn the heat temperature up and let the fans do their thing and car warms right up.
Never ever turn mine off in any weather.
      02-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #25
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
OP - have you also tried cleaning the inside of the windscreen with a teatowel and window cleaner, to make sure you've got no grease / plastic fume residues etc ?
I was wondering that same thing. Newer cars will get film on the windscreen quite frequently for the first while. Also smoking can cause this.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I was wondering that same thing. Newer cars will get film on the windscreen quite frequently for the first while. Also smoking can cause this.
film on the windscreen, Never ever had it, not sure what you guys are doing with cars, AC needs to be on ALL the time to dry out the car, Film on windsreen LOL.
      02-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #27
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
film on the windscreen, Never ever had it, not sure what you guys are doing with cars, AC needs to be on ALL the time to dry out the car, Film on windsreen LOL.
It’s a real thing The plastics inside the car will off-gas and a film can form on the windshield. It varies based on the materials used and climate.
Appreciate 2
timmahh483.00
      02-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #28
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

I've noticed a bit of a build up on the inside of the windows too. Car is only a couple of weeks old and I've already cleaned them, and they seem to need cleaned again.
I do have the air con on auto, so maybe that's not helping?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #29
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
I've not noticed anything on my g 30 but as I've said before we park in a garage. However I have noticed a lot of misting on the inside of our e61, the auris and also the courtesy Volvo we've had. Maybe we've just been having more humid weather lately...?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #30
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

From the manual.. +my two cents: leave air recirc to auto.

Defrosting windows and removing condensation:

Concept: Ice and condensation are quickly removed from the windshield and the front side windows.

Switching on/off:
Press the [Max defrost] button. The LED is illuminated with the system switched on. Point the side vents towards the side windows, as needed.

The air flow can be adjusted manually with the system switched on.

If there is window condensation, press the AUTO button on the driver's side or switch on air conditioning to utilize the condensation sensor.
      02-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #31
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I never turn my A/C off either .I have seen other headlamps of the different car makers built up some fog inside the headlamp housing ,what's odd is that even manual states that it's normal
I have not experienced any of these in my G30 but mine is garage kept may be it makes a difference
      02-15-2018, 04:39 AM   #32
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

May I also suggest looking at the 'auto' setting for the climate control. As posted elsewhere, after driving BMWs since 1999 I mistakenly assumed auto was, erm, auto in the G30.

However, there are five different levels of 'auto' in terms of max fan output. Mine was lower (around 1-2, cannot recall completely) when I collected from the dealer. This means you never hear the fans and think 'oooh, the car is very quiet'. Which was ok for October in London UK, this year.

However, never experienced the 'normal' sensation of the fan blowing more air once the heaters were at the chosen temp and then slowing down to maintain that temp; and the screen would steam up at times. Then saw in another thread that you can choose how hard the fans blow in auto mode...

This also explained why I never really felt any air from the central vents.

Now at set in the middle and all OK for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #33
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
It’s a real thing The plastics inside the car will off-gas and a film can form on the windshield. It varies based on the materials used and climate.
Thanks. I thought it was a helpful suggestion ......
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #34
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
May I also suggest looking at the 'auto' setting for the climate control. As posted elsewhere, after driving BMWs since 1999 I mistakenly assumed auto was, erm, auto in the G30.

However, there are five different levels of 'auto' in terms of max fan output. Mine was lower (around 1-2, cannot recall completely) when I collected from the dealer. This means you never hear the fans and think 'oooh, the car is very quiet'. Which was ok for October in London UK, this year.

However, never experienced the 'normal' sensation of the fan blowing more air once the heaters were at the chosen temp and then slowing down to maintain that temp; and the screen would steam up at times. Then saw in another thread that you can choose how hard the fans blow in auto mode...

This also explained why I never really felt any air from the central vents.

Now at set in the middle and all OK for me.
Cheers.. I thought auto was auto too. I'll try it up a bit and see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I have the same issue in my G11 which I guess shares quite a lot with the G30, it fogs when I get in it instantly but it's not fogged before I get in not huge amounts just the lower portion of the screen, screen had been cleaned properly and A/c always on but it's winter though and it's been very damp (standard) but I was surprised as I've never had this issue on any other BMW.

Will try raising the fan speed on the auto setting and set the auto recirculate as well.