BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions ACC Distance too far

01-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #23
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

i agree. The closest distance at 70 MPH is approximately 7 carlengths from the car in front of me, in my estimation. The longest distance is much farther than that. I'm certain BMW's lawyers had to sign off on the closest distance before they settled on what it would be. Besides, most folks on the road do not have ACC, and they have no insurance or safety issues. I'm having the coding done on Monday, found a shop here in SA. Not sure why anyone would think that coding it to default to a setting would be any different from me manually activating that setting each time I turn it on?

Last edited by hlothery; 01-03-2019 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #24
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I know your question has been about coding the distance but I feel compelled to prompt you to think about this.
If you are travelling at say 70mph with the acc set to the smallest distance , would be able to stop in time if the car in front suddenly slammed on their brakes?

And if the road was wet?

Just don't want anyone to end up in the back of the car in front should you be unlucky to experience that.

Ok I've said my piece and will let it go now!
To add to this, almost guarantee to invalidate insurance in such an instance.
No. Just no. Why would following as close as another whole brand of cars invalidate insurance?

I assure you it's a safe distance. Can we drop the safety brigade now? Jeez.
Point is you've altered what BMW deem as safe following distance for the car to stop. So any insurance company has grounds to argue in the case of an accident. It's nothing to do with whether other brands are able to do it or not.

By the way, this isn't a safety crusade, rather a point that there are other drivers on the road whose cars are at risk with these changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #25
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I know your question has been about coding the distance but I feel compelled to prompt you to think about this.
If you are travelling at say 70mph with the acc set to the smallest distance , would be able to stop in time if the car in front suddenly slammed on their brakes?

And if the road was wet?

Just don't want anyone to end up in the back of the car in front should you be unlucky to experience that.

Ok I've said my piece and will let it go now!
To add to this, almost guarantee to invalidate insurance in such an instance.
No. Just no. Why would following as close as another whole brand of cars invalidate insurance?

I assure you it's a safe distance. Can we drop the safety brigade now? Jeez.
Point is you've altered what BMW deem as safe following distance for the car to stop. So any insurance company has grounds to argue in the case of an accident. It's nothing to do with whether other brands are able to do it or not.

By the way, this isn't a safety crusade, rather a point that there are other drivers on the road whose cars are at risk with these changes.
The point is, all these comments are useless. I'm just going to not use ACC and drive that close myself. Like I've been doing my entire life.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #26
5fix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2018 m550i

OP I could not agree with more! I hate the ACC more than any other option I have ever had, ever, on any other car I have owned.

I drive mostly on rural interstate highways when I use cruise control (not in stop and go urban driving). You "communicate" to a car in front of you in the left lane that you want to pass (and that they should move the right lane) by driving a few car lengths behind them. Mind you, I am not a tailgater, but after 40 years of driving, you know how may car lengths behind a car you can safely be and let them know to move over, you simply get within a few car lengths behind using the cruise control speed adjustment on the steering wheel of a BMW. Simple, easy, safe.

With ACC the car slows down five or six car lengths behind the care in front of you and "communicates" to the car ahead of you, I am happy driving behind you. You don't notice at first, but then realize you are going five or six MPH slower than your set speed. Worse yet, other cars who want pass will cut in front of you causing you to brake. WTF? It is maddening.

Within a week of owning the car I returned to the dealership to ask how to turn it off. No luck. No can do.

I think I am going to try to tape over the front sensor/camera to see if cruise control will work without the ACC capability.

The posts that it will void insurance and is not safe are just silly. ACC sucks. Don't get it. I will never have it on another BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #27
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

If you hit the car in front of you, regardless of ACC, you are at fault. With that said, I'm curious for the OP if this can be changed. Driving in the Bay Area myself I don't see it as a need to reduce but now I'm curious if it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #28
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
OP I could not agree with more! I hate the ACC more than any other option I have ever had, ever, on any other car I have owned.

I drive mostly on rural interstate highways when I use cruise control (not in stop and go urban driving). You "communicate" to a car in front of you in the left lane that you want to pass (and that they should move the right lane) by driving a few car lengths behind them. Mind you, I am not a tailgater, but after 40 years of driving, you know how may car lengths behind a car you can safely be and let them know to move over, you simply get within a few car lengths behind using the cruise control speed adjustment on the steering wheel of a BMW. Simple, easy, safe.

With ACC the car slows down five or six car lengths behind the care in front of you and "communicates" to the car ahead of you, I am happy driving behind you. You don't notice at first, but then realize you are going five or six MPH slower than your set speed. Worse yet, other cars who want pass will cut in front of you causing you to brake. WTF? It is maddening.

Within a week of owning the car I returned to the dealership to ask how to turn it off. No luck. No can do.

I think I am going to try to tape over the front sensor/camera to see if cruise control will work without the ACC capability.

The posts that it will void insurance and is not safe are just silly. ACC sucks. Don't get it. I will never have it on another BMW.
I have never thought of using cruise control to overtake, if I'm overtake definitely in charge the whole time, just old habit I suppose...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #29
rudling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix

I experienced this today in SF actually, on the approach to the Bay Bridge. Over the course of 9 minutes, 5 cars squeezed in front of me before I finally turned off ACC.

I did notice, further along the freeway, that if I activate my left turn signal while following another car at a speed less than the set point, my car speeds up. I assume this is because it's anticipating a lane change and more open road. I didn't have time to experiment, but am curious to know whether the same happens when signaling right rather than left, and what happens if I just drive with the left turn signal on, but don't make a lane change? Will the car eventually figure out it's been duped and back off again to the "safe" minimum distance?

(I am not suggesting that we all start driving around with our left turn signals on all the time - but if there's a built in defeat or override for the minimum distance, perhaps there's another way to trigger it.)

Also noticed than in situations where the traffic speed is varying considerably, being in Sport mode helps noticeably when the car in front of me accelerates - I don't think it changes the distance, but it does seem to change the responsiveness, so that the resulting gap isn't as big, for as long.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:08 AM   #30
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
If you've tampered with a cars safety system, it is grounds for an insurance company not to pay a claim. In this case, changing a preset lowest allowable distance would be that. Not sure how stating that counts as silly.

Btw, you should read up a bit on how the system works if you are trying to tape over a sensor
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:33 AM   #31
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

As a point of interest, On the f10 you could disable the acc and have it run in normal cruise control mode by holding down the button the steering wheel that controlled the distance setting.
Not sure if the g30 does the same, never tried.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #32
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

You can always override the cruise control by pressing gas yourself. I've also noticed cruise moves you closer when you signal left.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #33
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
If you've tampered with a cars safety system, it is grounds for an insurance company not to pay a claim. In this case, changing a preset lowest allowable distance would be that. Not sure how stating that counts as silly.

Btw, you should read up a bit on how the system works if you are trying to tape over a sensor
You are clearly misunderstanding what I am trying to do. In no way am I tampering with the system (and I agree, you cannot tape over the sensor}. Indeed, the system allows me to do what I am proposing to have coded, and I do it each time I turn it on. I turn on ACC, and select the shortest following distance option. I am having it coded so that I do not have to select that, it defaults to what I always select. That distance is a very safe following distance which, in my estimation, will equally help prevent accidents. There is no way to change the preset distances. Only to select them. That is all I'm proposing. I drive much closer (and have had no accidents doing so) when the ACC is off. Neither the OP, not I have proposed altering the system. Indeed, when a car cuts into the extremely adequate space allowed by the shortest distance option, my car immediately brakes to reestablish that distance, making me very vulnerable to being hit from the rear by an inattentive driver. This system is far from perfect, but I still like it, after I select the shortest following distance option. And, indeed, it does begin to accelerate when you turn the wheel and turn on your turn signal to change lanes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #34
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
You are clearly misunderstanding what I am trying to do. In no way am I tampering with the system (and I agree, you cannot tape over the sensor}. Indeed, the system allows me to do what I am proposing to have coded, and I do it each time I turn it on. I turn on ACC, and select the shortest following distance option. I am having it coded so that I do not have to select that, it defaults to what I always select. That distance is a very safe following distance which, in my estimation, will equally help prevent accidents. There is no way to change the preset distances. Only to select them. That is all I'm proposing. I drive much closer (and have had no accidents doing so) when the ACC is off. Neither the OP, not I have proposed altering the system. Indeed, when a car cuts into the extremely adequate space allowed by the shortest distance option, my car immediately brakes to reestablish that distance, making me very vulnerable to being hit from the rear by an inattentive driver. This system is far from perfect, but I still like it, after I select the shortest following distance option. And, indeed, it does begin to accelerate when you turn the wheel and turn on your turn signal to change lanes.
Agree. I had mine coded to default to closest which is what I use the most. Occasionally I drop back to second closest depending upon conditions.

Coding to do what BMW allows us to do by pushing a button is not altering the safety features. I also had mine coded to default to adaptive drive to save me having to push the button each time I start the car.

These kinds of changes are simply convenience alterations.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #35
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I think you should read through the entire thread. OP has been asking how to reduce the shortest preset distance. That's where all the safety conversations are coming from.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #36
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I think you should read through the entire thread. OP has been asking how to reduce the shortest preset distance. That's where all the safety conversations are coming from.
There appear to be two intertwined threads here. One is from the OP and he is seeking to create a lesser distance and the other is from folks who simply want to change the default from farthest to closest.

I agree with the latter but not the former. Creating one's own following distance at a closer distance than established by the carmaker is potentially dangerous and could create legal liabilities.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      01-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #37
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
There appear to be two intertwined threads here. One is from the OP and he is seeking to create a lesser distance and the other is from folks who simply want to change the default from farthest to closest.

I agree with the latter but not the former. Creating one's own following distance at a closer distance than established by the carmaker is potentially dangerous and could create legal liabilities.
If it was an option that could be coded there would be no legal issues. But since it can't then yes, I could see there being legal issues. All the safety warnings are moot. I'll just not use ACC and drive how I please. End of discussion.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #38
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
My bad. Only way to reduce the distance is to not use ACC, which is not a bad idea in heavy traffic. I just want mine to default to the shortest preset distance, which I believe is generously safe. Sorry for the confusion. I'm done with this.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      01-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #39
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

FYI, as a follow up to this discusion. The private shop I was going to use uses only BMW software. Apparently, coding the ACC to default to the shortest distance cannot be done with BMW software, and they are not sure third party software can do it either. So I am apparently out of luck, and will continue to have to turn on my ACC with one click on the power button, then three clicks on the following distance button. Definitely a 1st world problem, I know, but mildly disappointing nontheless. Anyway, just though I'd give you an update.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #40
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
FYI, as a follow up to this discusion. The private shop I was going to use uses only BMW software. Apparently, coding the ACC to default to the shortest distance cannot be done with BMW software, and they are not sure third party software can do it either. So I am apparently out of luck, and will continue to have to turn on my ACC with one click on the power button, then three clicks on the following distance button. Definitely a 1st world problem, I know, but mildly disappointing nontheless. Anyway, just though I'd give you an update.
I can code it remotely.
You just need the Coding cable, Windows laptop with WiFi and Ethernet port, and Softwares.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #41
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I can code it remotely.
You just need the Coding cable, Windows laptop with WiFi and Ethernet port, and Softwares.
Thanks, appreciate the reply. I have decided against doing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #42
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Just as a final reply on this issue, I asked a local shop, which does BMW coding using only BMW software to code the ACC to default to the minimal following distance allowed by the BMW system, and to code ASS to default to last position selected (as my 2016 M4 did). Got the final reply back from BMW NA today, neither request can be done using BMW coding software. BMW will no longer sanction either of these changes. I know they can be done with 3rd party software. This is probably lawyers and the EPA talking. I have decided to live with the system as is, at least until my warranty expires. Personal decision, no debate necessary......just FYI.
Appreciate 1
drjolokia134.00
      01-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #43
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just as a final reply on this issue, I asked a local shop, which does BMW coding using only BMW software to code the ACC to default to the minimal following distance allowed by the BMW system, and to code ASS to default to last position selected (as my 2016 M4 did). Got the final reply back from BMW NA today, neither request can be done using BMW coding software. BMW will no longer sanction either of these changes. I know they can be done with 3rd party software. This is probably lawyers and the EPA talking. I have decided to live with the system as is, at least until my warranty expires. Personal decision, no debate necessary......just FYI.
Given these findings, I'll be doing the same.
Appreciate 0