BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions ACC Distance too far

12-31-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

ACC Distance too far

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the follow distance any closer, either by coding or any other means?

My wife used to have a Grand Cherokee Summit, and the ACC follow distance on the closest setting was much closer than the closest setting on my M550i.

Here in the SF Bay Area, the closest distance setting on my M550i is the perfect distance to have people cut me off all day long in medium traffic. The Grand Cherokee on the closest setting was just perfect so most people didn't cut you off or try to pass you all day long because it looks like I'm going so much slower than the car in front of me. Lol.

I'm probably just going to have to deal with it but I thought I'd at least check.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 12:55 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

You can choose one of 4 settings using the button on the steering wheel.
Mine defaults to the third one which is about as close as I feel comfortable with in the dry, in the wet I set it to the fourth (furthest away).

You repeatedly press the button to cycle through the distances and the car symbol will move on the instrument cluster / HUD to indicate which setting you have chosen.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-01-2019, 12:57 AM   #3
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You can choose one of 4 settings using the button on the steering wheel.
Mine defaults to the third one which is about as close as I feel comfortable with in the dry, in the wet I set it to the fourth (furthest away).

You repeatedly press the button to cycle through the distances and the car symbol will move on the instrument cluster / HUD to indicate which setting you have chosen.
I understand that. If you read above I'm comparing them on the closest setting.

I'd like to make the closest setting on the M550i closer.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:18 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

I don't know in that case but in my opinion the 1st and 2nd settings at anything like moderate or higher speeds are too close and if the car in front stopped suddenly , I have my doubts that the car / driver would be able to stop in time.

There is a saying "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" to state that in the dry you need to allow 2 seconds between your car and the one in front for a safe distance. (More in the wet)It can be difficult to achieve on busy motorways at times as car will often pull in to the gap you have created.

So just my opinion that even if it possible via coding I would strongly suggest not as I feel it would be dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:29 AM   #5
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know in that case but in my opinion the 1st and 2nd settings at anything like moderate or higher speeds are too close and if the car in front stopped suddenly , I have my doubts that the car / driver would be able to stop in time.

There is a saying "only a fool breaks the 2 second rule" to state that in the dry you need to allow 2 seconds between your car and the one in front for a safe distance. (More in the wet)It can be difficult to achieve on busy motorways at times as car will often pull in to the gap you have created.

So just my opinion that even if it possible via coding I would strongly suggest not as I feel it would be dangerous.
Like I said the wife's old car drove much closer and I drove that way very often and it was perfect. Not unsafe at all.

Not looking for opinions on if I should or shouldn't drive this way, just seeing what's possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:47 AM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:

Like I said the wife's old car drove much closer and I drove that way very often and it was perfect. Not unsafe at all.

Not looking for opinions on if I should or shouldn't drive this way, just seeing what's possible.
That's a bit like comparing apples and pears though. With different weights, breaks, etc. safe stopping distances will be different. So not as simple as if one can do it why not the other.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #7
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's a bit like comparing apples and pears though. With different weights, breaks, etc. safe stopping distances will be different. So not as simple as if one can do it why not the other.
It's the same distance I drive if I'm not using cruise control. Its not unsafe. Again not looking for opinions. I had an X5 that drove the same distance as my M550i and is very close to size and weight of the Jeep.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 03:53 AM   #8
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And I'm not asking why one can and one can't. I know why. BMW has a certain distance they drive and Jeep / Dodge vehicles have another distance. It's closer.

I'm asking if the BMW can be changed.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Manger94
Spain
Rep
Drives: 520dA Sport

We have understood perfectly what you propose. In my country, and I believe that in all of southern Europe in general, we do not consider too much the rule of the 2s ..., despite having many miles of dangerous roads and with lots of bends.

It is not well understood that someone keeps so much distance with the car in front of you and even sometimes they overtake you from the right to fill the space ...

I guess it is the policy of each manufacturer the standard safe distance. Surely official BMW dealer won’t agree to reduce it, even I doubt that it can be done by coding ...

Oh, and I think the same, I would like to be able to adjust the distance a little more
Appreciate 1
drjolokia134.00
      01-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

This is my problem with ACC in general, and the reason I opted not to get it for my 530e. Here in New York, driving is such a cut throat business that you do not have the luxury of a "safe" following distance. The moment you leave a safe gap, somebody will cut in front of you, and the cycle starts over again. You expand the gap again, and he next person will cut in again. They cut you off and not only will they not thank you, but they will still hate you and want you dead just for being on the road. That's just how a typical NY driver operates. Really sad.
I actually learned to brake with my left foot, so in dense traffic my left foot is hovering over the brake pedal. This gives me a slightly better reaction time and a bit more safety.
Appreciate 1
drjolokia134.00
      01-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

To answer the OP's original question, I cannot find a way either. I am not a coder, but suspect that this is not an issue that can be changed with coding. Just have to live with it. I have adapted to it, and now like the system in general, but would also prefer a slightly shorter distance when using the shortest setting. For that matter, I wish it would just default to the shortest setting, so that I didn't have that extra step each time I turn cruise control on. But, hey, can't have it all I guess.
Appreciate 1
drjolokia134.00
      01-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I was going to use ACC on highway only, I can't imagine myself drive in NYC too often, 90% of the time when I drive I'll be trying to get out of the city...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
To answer the OP's original question, I cannot find a way either. I am not a coder, but suspect that this is not an issue that can be changed with coding. Just have to live with it. I have adapted to it, and now like the system in general, but would also prefer a slightly shorter distance when using the shortest setting. For that matter, I wish it would just default to the shortest setting, so that I didn't have that extra step each time I turn cruise control on. But, hey, can't have it all I guess.
You can code the car with bimmercode to automatically start on the closest setting. I just wish it was closer!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
This is my problem with ACC in general, and the reason I opted not to get it for my 530e. Here in New York, driving is such a cut throat business that you do not have the luxury of a "safe" following distance. The moment you leave a safe gap, somebody will cut in front of you, and the cycle starts over again. You expand the gap again, and he next person will cut in again. They cut you off and not only will they not thank you, but they will still hate you and want you dead just for being on the road. That's just how a typical NY driver operates. Really sad.
I actually learned to brake with my left foot, so in dense traffic my left foot is hovering over the brake pedal. This gives me a slightly better reaction time and a bit more safety.
Exactly the same here in the SF Bay Area. Constantly cut off all day long!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
You can code the car with bimmercode to automatically start on the closest setting. I just wish it was closer!
Thanks. I know nothing about coding. Maybe I can find someone to do it here in SA.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Thanks. I know nothing about coding. Maybe I can find someone to do it here in SA.
There are several posters who do remote coding. It works well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the follow distance any closer, either by coding or any other means?

My wife used to have a Grand Cherokee Summit, and the ACC follow distance on the closest setting was much closer than the closest setting on my M550i.

Here in the SF Bay Area, the closest distance setting on my M550i is the perfect distance to have people cut me off all day long in medium traffic. The Grand Cherokee on the closest setting was just perfect so most people didn't cut you off or try to pass you all day long because it looks like I'm going so much slower than the car in front of me. Lol.

I'm probably just going to have to deal with it but I thought I'd at least check.
No. The G30 ACC doesn't have a single set distance most of the time. It varies by speed and takes into account traffic density (number of same direction targets identified per km). Unfortunately this means you're likely to have someone squeeze into the gap with medium to heavy density traffic scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
There are several posters who do remote coding. It works well.
Again, I know nothing about this. Perhaps one of the remote coders could PM me and we could discuss it. I would love to code ASS to default at off, and the distance in ACC to default at minimum. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #19
AP
Major General
Rep

I know your question has been about coding the distance but I feel compelled to prompt you to think about this.
If you are travelling at say 70mph with the acc set to the smallest distance , would be able to stop in time if the car in front suddenly slammed on their brakes?

And if the road was wet?

Just don't want anyone to end up in the back of the car in front should you be unlucky to experience that.

Ok I've said my piece and will let it go now!
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #20
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I know your question has been about coding the distance but I feel compelled to prompt you to think about this.
If you are travelling at say 70mph with the acc set to the smallest distance , would be able to stop in time if the car in front suddenly slammed on their brakes?

And if the road was wet?

Just don't want anyone to end up in the back of the car in front should you be unlucky to experience that.

Dude. You've said it already. I'm not worried about the distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

And if the road was wet?

To add to this, almost guarantee to invalidate insurance in such an instance.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

And if the road was wet?

To add to this, almost guarantee to invalidate insurance in such an instance.
No. Just no. Why would following as close as another whole brand of cars invalidate insurance?

I assure you it's a safe distance. Can we drop the safety brigade now? Jeez.
Appreciate 0