BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 24 hrs of Le Mans Trip Questions

10-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
24 hrs of Le Mans Trip Questions

I'm looking into a trip to the 24 hours of Le Mans in June 2020. Having done a search , I only get every thread that talks about Le Mans Blue Bimmers rather than the race .

So I could use your input...thanks for sharing !!

What is your experience with attending the race? Which tickets do you recommend purchasing?... if you don't own a race team, oil company and are not an Instagram influencer?

Where to say?

If camping, can you rent everything you need onsite (traveling from USA)? And is this a good idea or just a great way for someone to make a buck at the expense of 'dumb' Americans (North or South, take your pick)?

Do you need a car? Or are trains and taxis good enough?

Where to eat?

Tips to avoid any issues or to make the best of the event and overall experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I'm also interested in the replies. I posted a similar question no the Benz site, and got zero replies. That demographic, I would have thought, would have some input.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

might help you get started:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu..._la_Loire.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._la_Loire.html
2022 K1600B

Last edited by dougt.ah3; 10-21-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

never been to Le Mans but i have some ideas a friend of mine went to see the race that lives in France few years ago..

from where to watch it highly depends on what do you want.. to be in the center of action i d go with grandstand to see the pit action as well.. if not somewhere near chicanes.. where to eat ll be solved on track on grandstand as well though.. for accommodation there are hotels, camping, glamping as probably you already searched.. there are some camping sites near the track but im not sure if where or how many on track and for car part.. you can survive without a car anywhere in Europe..

some information for you that i found after a quick search..

for international calls.. i guess all your questions ll be answered here..
+44 1707 32 9988.. (UK)

and this link ll help you pretty much..

https://lemansrace.com/motorsport-ev...mans-24-hours/ ..
      11-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
bilonivalorito
Registered
Rep
Drives: Clio 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
I'm looking into a trip to the 24 hours of Le Mans in June 2020. Having done a search , I only get every thread that talks about Le Mans Blue Bimmers rather than the race .

So I could use your input...thanks for sharing !!

What is your experience with attending the race? Which tickets do you recommend purchasing?... if you don't own a race team, oil company and are not an Instagram influencer audacity temp mail origin?

Where to say?

If camping, can you rent everything you need onsite (traveling from USA)? And is this a good idea or just a great way for someone to make a buck at the expense of 'dumb' Americans (North or South, take your pick)?

Do you need a car? Or are trains and taxis good enough?

Where to eat?

Tips to avoid any issues or to make the best of the event and overall experience?
I posted a similar question no the Benz site, and got zero replies

Last edited by bilonivalorito; 11-02-2019 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #6
DentistRodman
Destroys tires
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Fear not mates, I've done Le Mans the last 3 years in a row and I'd be happy to share my experience.

Where to stay:
I would recommend getting an Airbnb as close to the circuit as possible. The first two years we stayed about a 15 min walk away and it was really convenient. This year, we stayed a little farther and had to find parking closer to the circuit. They shut down a lot of streets but finding parking isn't impossible since it's a 24 hour race. Never tried camping because I'm bougie.

Transportation:
Depends how you plan on getting there. The city center is pretty far from the circuit and Tours is actually a pretty small town. Have always had a car and found it very convenient multiple times.

The important stuff:
I would highly recommend getting grandstand seats, especially at Dunlop if you can. Buy the seats ASAP because they sell out quickly. Dunlop has the best view because you get to see the cars coming out of pit and turn 1 as they come up the hill to Dunlop bridge which has sharp turns so the cars don't just blow past. You also get to hear and feel the difference between the motors for each car since they're not passing at speed. 100% do this.

Hope to God that it isn't hot.

Walk the track. Dunlop and Porsche curves are good corners. Take the bus to Mulsanne, Indianapolis, etc.

Get a earmuff headset radio so you can hear what's happening during the race. All the coverage at the track is in French. 100% do this.

For tickets, I would recommend 1st tickets in the UK. They shipped the tickets to me in the US and have always been quick to reply. Never had a single issue.

I think Le Mans is so amazing that if you get there, it'll be impossible to not have a great time. I spent hours just watching and listening to the race. It's really cool seeing all the cars fight for position because they aren't always shown on TV. Terrific experience, would go again.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58879.50
chief207.00
Solidjake945.00
      11-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentistRodman View Post
Fear not mates, I've done Le Mans the last 3 years in a row and I'd be happy to share my experience.

Where to stay:
I would recommend getting an Airbnb as close to the circuit as possible. The first two years we stayed about a 15 min walk away and it was really convenient. This year, we stayed a little farther and had to find parking closer to the circuit. They shut down a lot of streets but finding parking isn't impossible since it's a 24 hour race. Never tried camping because I'm bougie.

Transportation:
Depends how you plan on getting there. The city center is pretty far from the circuit and Tours is actually a pretty small town. Have always had a car and found it very convenient multiple times.

The important stuff:
I would highly recommend getting grandstand seats, especially at Dunlop if you can. Buy the seats ASAP because they sell out quickly. Dunlop has the best view because you get to see the cars coming out of pit and turn 1 as they come up the hill to Dunlop bridge which has sharp turns so the cars don't just blow past. You also get to hear and feel the difference between the motors for each car since they're not passing at speed. 100% do this.

Hope to God that it isn't hot.

Walk the track. Dunlop and Porsche curves are good corners. Take the bus to Mulsanne, Indianapolis, etc.

Get a earmuff headset radio so you can hear what's happening during the race. All the coverage at the track is in French. 100% do this.

For tickets, I would recommend 1st tickets in the UK. They shipped the tickets to me in the US and have always been quick to reply. Never had a single issue.

I think Le Mans is so amazing that if you get there, it'll be impossible to not have a great time. I spent hours just watching and listening to the race. It's really cool seeing all the cars fight for position because they aren't always shown on TV. Terrific experience, would go again.
Fantastic Feedback, thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
falb
M6GC
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP e60 M5, e39 M5, e39 540-6

I have been to this race the last four years as a competitor and you will not regret going! It is the best sportscar event on the planet by a wide margin.

Logistics at the event depends on how long you stay. You can train in for the Saturday and go to a hotel and then return for Sunday, or sleep at the track, or stay for multiple days. It seems like most diehards stay in tents at or near the track. check out lemansrace.com for on site lodging options. Airbnb is a great option for apartments or houses or castles...

Car rental...depends where you stay. I always rent but I have a good parking spot. You can take the train from CDG to Le Mans (city) and then the tram to the arena, which is inside the track and walk. If you stay outside the track then i would have a car but parking can be tricky and you may want a parking pass.

I personally don't think seats are mandatory...walking or taking the tram to the far areas and watch the cars in different places, especially at night is mandatory IMO. Tetre Rouge exit is one of the best spots since the drivers are fighting the cars for every kph to run down mulsanne.

Hope that helps. Happy to help anyone with Qs to attend the event.
#25 Algarve Pro Oreca LMP2 in ELMS
Appreciate 0