BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Wheel Cleaner Recommendations

08-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #23
jsf721
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have the fully set of wheel Wookiee and ez detail brushes. Gets me everywhere. Really depends on your wheels which you would need / prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I love wheel woolies. They make cleaning the 20" 759i wheels semi tolerable.

Which wheel woolies are your choice? So many vendors selling the same concept. I bought the 3 pack (small, med and large) of Liquid X from Amazon and they seem ok but the handle has a bit too much give. Thinking they're all pretty much the same and private labeled?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #24
RichieHPS
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

A rusty or simply dirty disk is not dangerous, but having a mechanical damage is a direct threat to life. During the ride, the wheels get a heavy load and the slightest malfunction can lead to tragic consequences.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I am a self admitted detailing geek.

If you can ceramic coat your wheels you will save much time cleaning them for sure.

I wash my car often, and if you do, all you should need is car wash soap and a good set of brushes.

When I do a car that is infrequently washed, the Sonax Full Effect is the best. Smells bad, works great.

Just be careful not to spray on the polished hats as I have seen that leave marks on them.
This is the actual correct answer in this thread. Sonax is not meant to be used every wash...you're killing yourself and your wallet. It is only meant to be used on wheels with baked on brake dust. If you ceramic coat your wheels all you need is soap and water hence why you went through the full process to coat them in the first place.

If you want more cleaning power go with something economical and proven for your maintenance washes like P&S Brake Buster, which can be diluted to be very easy on your wallet.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #26
AddyDaddy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
I have BMW's black chrome 636 style wheels. I was looking thru reviews and read some good stuff about car guys oh balanced wheel cleaner safe for "all finishes". Anyone tired car guys stuff?
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #27
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
This is the actual correct answer in this thread. Sonax is not meant to be used every wash...you're killing yourself and your wallet. It is only meant to be used on wheels with baked on brake dust. If you ceramic coat your wheels all you need is soap and water hence why you went through the full process to coat them in the first place.

If you want more cleaning power go with something economical and proven for your maintenance washes like P&S Brake Buster, which can be diluted to be very easy on your wallet.
+1 here.

I have not ceramic coated my wheels, and even still I don't need to use wheel cleaner every time. I couldn't get over Sonax's smell, so I use Meg's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner instead. But I only use it every 2nd or 3rd wash, depending on how much/hard I've driven the car in between washes (and I wash once or twice a month, depending on how much I've been driving and how nasty the weather is).

A year into ownership and this seems to be working for me. I do need to get some better wheel brushes.
Appreciate 0