BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530D G30 xdrive not as quick as it should be?

09-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Wwwbingcom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G30

530D G30 xdrive not as quick as it should be?

Just picked up a 530D G30 2018 xdrive last week, and it's a clean car with 55k mileage and full bmw service history. The drive is amazing compared to my last 420i, however I've noticed the speed isn't what I thought it would be? When I floor it, I get less than 230BHP with 500Nm of torque on the sport display and it's doing 0-60 in about 6 seconds, (should be 5.4) and now I've gotten a remap stage 1, and it's still only pushing to 260BHP (should be 330), can anyone suggest what might be wrong? I'm getting it dynod tommorow anyways
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 03:16 AM   #2
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

I'm not sure I'd fully trust the sport displays - true test would be the dyno, wait until you have the results from there and let us know how you get on!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Got the car dynod today, pushing 280bhp and 650nm at the wheels so it is 330bhp ans 700nm from the engine, I guess it's probably because the car is so smooth and noise insulated, I just couldn't tell 😅 thank you for the reply, deffo faster than my old one
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwwbingcom View Post
Got the car dynod today, pushing 280bhp and 650nm at the wheels so it is 330bhp ans 700nm from the engine, I guess it's probably because the car is so smooth and noise insulated, I just couldn't tell 😅 thank you for the reply, deffo faster than my old one
Usually BMW sandbags its HP ratings so that the dyno done at the wheels is usually just about the same as the official rating (supposedly taken at the crank). So that would suggest that your car is down on power.

BUT...I am not familiar with the behavior of diesels (it has been fifty years since I had one) so maybe they behave differently.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Oh fair enough, I'll probably get the difference removed and checked at some point then, anyways its not bad as a I can drive spirited and still pull out 30+ mpg!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Okay then, so I was on the motorway yesterday, ans I got the drivetrain fault and my car bugged out, once I parked and turned it back on the issue went, and car is driving normally. This is unbelievable, I got the car last week Friday from Quirks Car company, its been 9 days since I've had it! Any advice? I do have 6 months warranty which covers up to a grand, but my past experience with cars tells me this will be a lot more
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Okay then, so I was on the motorway yesterday, ans I got the drivetrain fault and my car bugged out, once I parked and turned it back on the issue went, and car is driving normally. This is unbelievable, I got the car last week Friday from Quirks Car company, its been 9 days since I've had it! Any advice? I do have 6 months warranty which covers up to a grand, but my past experience with cars tells me this will be a lot more
You can’t blame the G30, as you stated YOU have had it remapped and now your having issues, the warranty also won’t cover cars which have been modified from manufactures standard set up.

I would recommend, fully charging your car battery (low battery gives drive train fault, happened on my 2018 530dx) that prob will sort the code, if not maybe have the remap removed to see if that fixes it, before taking it into the garage.

Not having a dig at you btw, I ran a remap on my own 5 series for 50k, I’ll try the battery first as it’s prob been low as it’s sat about waiting to be sold and then while it’s been remapped it could have been on, without engine running for a hour or two ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #8
Wwwbingcom
Rep

I should have mentioned that the issue was there before I got the remap, but that particular time I didn't start the engine and made no thought of it, and that might be a possible reason, as when I got the car remapped the battery level was very low and it had to be recharged, but I'll take it to the garage tommorow ans get a diagnostics. I'll let you guys know how it goes, appreciate the replies.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Quote:
I should have mentioned that the issue was there before I got the remap, but that particular time I didn't start the engine and made no thought of it, and that might be a possible reason, as when I got the car remapped the battery level was very low and it had to be recharged, but I'll take it to the garage tommorow ans get a diagnostics. I'll let you guys know how it goes, appreciate the replies.
*I started the engine but didn't drive* I meant
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Okay, so went into garage today, mechanic plugged in his computer and he found that the thing which was giving the drivetrain issue was the active kidney grill playing up on yhr motorway, upon simply gazing eyes on the front, the mechanic was able to shower that the car has had the bumper removed and painted (very poorly). This was the probably reason for the active kidney grill playing up. Not only that, he also noted that the side skirt on one side was pushed all the way out, the back light was cracked, and there was water in it, and rear bumper had been painted also. (Very poorly) there aren't issues with this car, and before anyone says why I didn't look for these issues is because I got it from a dealership with 5 star reviews on Google and trust pilot, I really trusted these guys and it hasn't even been 10 days since I bought the car! I know it's my fault for not looking out for this stuff but is there anything I can do now?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Okay, so went into garage today, mechanic plugged in his computer and he found that the thing which was giving the drivetrain issue was the active kidney grill playing up on yhr motorway, upon simply gazing eyes on the front, the mechanic was able to shower that the car has had the bumper removed and painted (very poorly). This was the probably reason for the active kidney grill playing up. Not only that, he also noted that the side skirt on one side was pushed all the way out, the back light was cracked, and there was water in it, and rear bumper had been painted also. (Very poorly) there aren't issues with this car, and before anyone says why I didn't look for these issues is because I got it from a dealership with 5 star reviews on Google and trust pilot, I really trusted these guys and it hasn't even been 10 days since I bought the car! I know it's my fault for not looking out for this stuff but is there anything I can do now?
Was it CPO? If yes...you might have some recourse. If no...you are screwed.

Oops. I just noticed that you are in the UK. I have no knowledge of UK law so you should ignore my response.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 09-13-2021 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: just noticed location of user
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #12
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Well now I hope we have a "CPO" system here
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Quote:
Well now I hope we have a "CPO" system here
is that not the same thing as the "approved used" vehicles you get through the dealer franchises (as apposed to a non BMW forecourt). they apparently offer a "comprehensive check" and 12 months warranty (if manufacturers one has expired).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Ahh ffs, yes it is, I was going to buy from bmw but it was a bit too far, that would have saved me so much hassle man :/ it's been 11 days, ive found:
Active Kidney grille issues, front bumper been tampered with and painted, rear bumper also been tampered and painted, rear light has water in it and a small crack, the side skirt is popping out. I've contacted citizens advice, see what happens from there
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #15
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

If its a certified Pre owned, i think one of their requirement is no paint job (correct me if im wrong)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:24 AM   #16
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Quote:
Ahh ffs, yes it is, I was going to buy from bmw but it was a bit too far, that would have saved me so much hassle man :/ it's been 11 days, ive found:
Active Kidney grille issues, front bumper been tampered with and painted, rear bumper also been tampered and painted, rear light has water in it and a small crack, the side skirt is popping out. I've contacted citizens advice, see what happens from there
Sorry to hear that man. Is the car still under BMW warranty? If so then they should be looking at the grill as a minimum (the other issues they will likely say are caused by a user and not a manufacturing issue)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
Wwwbingcom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadz View Post
Sorry to hear that man. Is the car still under BMW warranty? If so then they should be looking at the grill as a minimum (the other issues they will likely say are caused by a user and not a manufacturing issue)
Thanks for your concern, a little update, I got majority of the stuff sorted from the dealership I bought it off, the paint job wasn't awful, just if you look closely you can tell, but there's no way anyone will be able to tell unless it's pointed out by me, I took the car to a dyno after getting it mapped, I got 290bhp and 600nm of torque at the wheels which converts to 330bhp and 700nm pf torque (the sports displays must be calibrated like suggested above) so yeah, so far I'm happy with it now!
Appreciate 0