BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion My Buddy Drove His E46 M3 Off A Cliff - VIDEO!!!!

Closed Thread

12-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #353
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

I blame the GoPro....only skydivers will understand this joke!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #354
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

The lessons to learn from this video are:

Don't drive like an idiot on public roads.
If you ignore the first lesson, at the very least learn the roads you are driving on.

When I got my car, I drove on a backroad that I enjoyed in my previous car. Got a bit too spirited and understeered through a corner. Luckily it was an uphill corner and it slowed me down enough to stay on the road. I was also lucky there was no oncoming traffic. After that, I stopped driving like an idiot on public roads (mostly).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #355
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

That doesn't look like a very safe place to be driving that fast, but in that guy's defense, that was a nasty, nasty tightening-radius corner. With a bit more skill, he may have been able to take that corner at his speed (better line, don't just keep steering the wheel more and hitting the brakes when you're understeering, etc.).

Two things I learned long ago about driving aggressively:

1: Pretend your lane is your boundary. It will force you to drive a bit slower, and it can still be tons of fun keeping the car between the lines of your single lane. Also, you're legally obligated to drive in your lane...

2: Never, never drive aggressively with other people. It will just make you want to go faster and do things you wouldn't normally do to keep up or pull out more of a lead.

If I remember correctly, this guy was barely injured. That says a LOT about how safe our cars are

Also, watching airbags work properly like that is awesome. That curtain bag blew as soon as the right two wheel left the ground. Cool!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #356
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

What a fuckin' retard.

I'm not glad he's alive, I'm glad he and his douchebag idiot friends didn't kill anyone else in an oncoming lane while they blasted over the center line into blind corners.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #357
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIO K View Post
I wish I could reply to everyone personally but 150+ notifications is a little much, so I will try to answer/address some of the most common concerns.

First off, thank you to all the positive and well wishing comments. I've passed them on to my friend.

To the negative comments, you are entitled to your opinions. I agree with many saying he was pushing his car too hard. He has driven that road many times before and the group left around 5am to avoid contact with any cars/people that are not involved with us.

In complete honesty I probably wouldn't be defending him if he was not my friend. However, we all make mistakes, some more severe than the other. We are thankful that this turned into a learning experience and as you can tell from the video and pictures he has learned his lesson the hard way.

Thank you for your post; no broken bones, few minor scratches on the passenger!

Wow, glad your'e okay. They are definitely safe automobiles.. Stay safe as well buddy!

Believe it or not I have many mutual friends with that guy. He now drives a Mustang 5.0

Glad I picked a right title haha

Although they left around 5am to avoid contact with other cars/people, you really never know. I would hate to imagine what would happen if this was a collision with another vehicle. Thankfully it wasn't..

Tortilla Flats!

Correct!!

I was ignoring posts like "what if he hit another car", I was thinking it is highly unlikely that someone would be driving on a backroad at 5am (they left early to avoid contact with any other cars/people).

Your post gave me a chill, because after reading it I thought to my self what if someones family was coming back from a camping trip, what then?

It's something I don't like to think about; and although the possibility is there, we are glad it only ended in minor scratches. My friend learned his lesson.

These are on point

Yup, Tortilla Flats..

I agree! Camera is a GoPro Hero 2

Why is your wife heading down a remotely deserted mountain backroad alone at 5am?
What about insurance? I may have missed an older post since I only read the first few pages. Apologies.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #358
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
So I guess it's the sequel to this video:

Understeered right off. Really glad to see he was OK though, that's terrifying.
Wow. 16 yo drives like a madman a very powerful car and demonstrate poor driving skills. Who bought his this car to start with?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #359
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

Whoops
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #360
puma1552
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 Mustang GT Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Wow. 16 yo drives like a madman a very powerful car and demonstrate poor driving skills. Who bought his this car to start with?
I'm sure he got another one right after that.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #361
Rockette
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
While I'm sure we're not all innocent of spirited driving here, the speeds at which this kid was driving was just foolish. You could tell immediately when he entered the corner he came in way too hot as the road started to bend downwards. It's just a clear case of lack of experience and ignorance on the driver's part.

Looks like it was out in California. I wonder how that kid would fare on the snow and ice of the northeast I grew up in.
      01-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #362
myculito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Damn! That's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #363
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

One of my guilty pleasures is TruTV's "World's Dumbest" shows.....this accident made this past Sunday's (1/5/13) show "World's Dumbest Motorheads 11". Your boy was #11, IIRC. *lol*

http://www.trutv.com/full-episodes/w...390/index.html
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #364
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

I personally remember at least 3 situations in which i almost had a terrible accident back when I drove very dangerously / foolishly in my teens.

I'm sure most of us had done some very foolish driving at one point or another, its all about the brain developing and experience. m3 + young driver is very very risky, when I have kids i will damn well make sure its a slow car
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #365
Korntera
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
And this is why you don't race on open roads.

Take it to the track where there are proper barricades and safety precautions
This!
Glad he is OK but what an idiot.
      01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #366
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am familioar with that highway. Usually has a layer of fine sand on it from the wind, narrow with an abundance of blind turns. The cliff this guy went off is bad but there are even worse ones.
Granted we all l ike to drive our cars hard but that is just stupid. Anyone in the Phoenix area who knows this road will tell you that it is very tempting but the ones with a few more brain cells will also avoid the temptation. Lots of white crosses on the twisty highways around here. Means it has been tried before and some failed and may have taken some innocents with them.
The road in the video is in the hills and the only road in and out of one of the recreational lakes and camping in the area so it will have cars full of families on it and at all hours.
If you look at the map below you can see why it would be tempting, then you realize it is a lot of sheer drop offs and if you do crash you will probably need a full rescue team depending where it happens and possibly a medevac. All of those resources that might be needed elsewhere but they would be there trying to get your sorry ass out of a mess that made for yourself.
Attached Images

01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #367
sanf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535XI

this is some initial-D shyt....except Takumi knew the roads
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #368
DACZ4
2014 BMW Z4 35i 6 Spd MT M Sport Deep Sea Blue Met
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 35i

I read most of the posts and thought that it was an isolated road. After seeing the map, I know exactly where that is at, it is Apache Trail. There is a horse ranch there. I was there in the late 90's with my daughters horse riding at that ranch. I remember it well because going east up that mountain is what was called the Little Grand Canyon. On the way to the ranch you had to go down the mountain on the opposite side and there was no guard rail. My wife was so scared to go back up it on the way back to Tempe, Az. We drove down to the Rossevelt Dam then loop around to get back to Tempe.

At the time I was there that road was well traveled by locals and tourist!

That kid could of easily killed someone!
      01-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #369
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

Yea guy is stupid for doing this blah blah...the stupidest this he did was post this on the internet. Dumbass.

DIY: Charcoal Delete, K
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #370
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp
I am familioar with that highway. Usually has a layer of fine sand on it from the wind, narrow with an abundance of blind turns. The cliff this guy went off is bad but there are even worse ones.
Granted we all l ike to drive our cars hard but that is just stupid. Anyone in the Phoenix area who knows this road will tell you that it is very tempting but the ones with a few more brain cells will also avoid the temptation. Lots of white crosses on the twisty highways around here. Means it has been tried before and some failed and may have taken some innocents with them.
The road in the video is in the hills and the only road in and out of one of the recreational lakes and camping in the area so it will have cars full of families on it and at all hours.
If you look at the map below you can see why it would be tempting, then you realize it is a lot of sheer drop offs and if you do crash you will probably need a full rescue team depending where it happens and possibly a medevac. All of those resources that might be needed elsewhere but they would be there trying to get your sorry ass out of a mess that made for yourself.
Fine sand is Iike black ice, ou never know when traction could break.

BMW CCA events allow you to do this sort of driving on actual courses with real instructors for les than the cost of his deductible...I love curves and turns, but it's a public road and you're going fast enough to cross double yellow lines=recipe for disaster.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #371
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

:s lap:
      03-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #372
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Car-plu...250962191.html

Someone in a BMW was killed up there 2am Wednesday. Driving that road at night is nuts.
      03-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #373
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Where I live we have some roads like this with blind turns leading into switchbacks.

As tempting as it may be to try to push things it is a VERY bad idea.

A few times I've come through one of those at a reasonable speed (25-35) and had to get on the brakes hard because of a bicyclist or broken down car (no shoulders here, just 100-200 foot drop without guardrail) and have even seen solid black skidmarks leading straight off to the edge...........
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread