European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Clicking of suspension after track day?

Went to a trackday a week after installing h&r sport springs. After my second session i noticed that the suspension was clicking when turning the wheel at stand still. Its a metallic click that is pretty loud almost as loud when the brakes pick up a rock in between the brake shield and rotor. First i thought it came from the lug nuts and had to do with temps. The car is torqued properly, and it seems that as the suspension moves it produces the sound.
I thought it has to do with the high temps, but the clicking remained after coming home and getting back to normal routine. Didnt have this prior, any suggestions?
In addition, the car has 12 mm spacers, but after intalling both, i didnt have this issue until spending that day at the track.
Thanks
Tamas
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 05:08 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Difficult to say without experiencing it. However, probably your front springs turning and not seated quite properly, possibly clicking on the strut tops.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's what I thought after reading online. What's the fix?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post
That's what I thought after reading online. What's the fix?
Well that depends a little. I presume you had new strut tops to match the new springs? The spring is probably rotated so the top is not sitting snug in the strut top. If that is the case, put the car on a hoist, or jack up both front wheels at the same time so they are unweighted (and sway bar). Hopefully you should then be able to see the top of the spring to confirm, rotate it and reseat it.

Do you have tender springs? They are supposed to keep the spring seated and under a little tension even when unweighted.

If in doubt take it to the shop that installed the suspension. There are others things that could be causing this as well
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
tszene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome. Thanks. Will take it back to the shop that installed.
Appreciate 0