BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Uncomfortable Front Seat

12-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #23
530e
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530e 2018

I had this issue with the ventilated multi contour seats in a 2018 530e I bought as a slightly used administration car. The explanation from the dealer was that the motors in the seat were placed higher in the seat due to the ducts for the ventilation. Fortunately, the dealer had a 30-day reversal / exchange right on second hand cars so the solution was to switch to a car with regular multi contour seats without ventilation. This was in february this year. Spoked with the dealer again this week when I was following my daughter in law buying a BMW and he told me that they had another customer with the same issue in another car a few weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #24
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
The multi contours automatically adjust the side bolsters when the driving mode is set to sport.

While the sports seats have power side bolster adjustment, the setting is not tied to sport mode.
I have the multi-contour seats and love them. As many have said, it's all subjective, though.

With the bolsters tightening and the little seatbelt tug when you get going (which for me always happens after I've backed out of my driveway, just as I set off up the street), it feels like the car is giving me a little safety hug every time we get on our way.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #25
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I have the multi-contour seats and love them. As many have said, it's all subjective, though.

With the bolsters tightening and the little seatbelt tug when you get going (which for me always happens after I've backed out of my driveway, just as I set off up the street), it feels like the car is giving me a little safety hug every time we get on our way.
+1 I love the the bolster tightening.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 06:34 AM   #26
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

I rented a G30 in Germany with Multi-contour seats in Sensatec and loved them. I purchased the same configuration in the US with Nappa and hate them. My car has massage feature and I did not know how much stiffer it would make the seat. What can I do? Overall, I find BMW seats uncomfortable when compared to other luxury brands. Did Sensatec get softer POST LCI? The seat in Europe (I have pics) looks identical to the US market aside from the fact it was Sensatec Multi Contour versus Nappa that I have now. My Nappa does not have much softness to it. Are we sure Nappa is softer than Sensatec POST LCI?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:01 AM   #27
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The difference is not the material...it is the padding beneath the material.

If the MC seats covered in Sensatec did NOT have the massage or ventilation feature...then the padding (cushions) below the material is not as firm. You can pull up the seat diagrams to see that the cushions have different part nbrs based on the options added to the seat. The cushions are FIRMER if you have ventilation and/or massaging feature due to the fans, bladders, and massaging bubbles incorporated into the seat. You should not be able to feel these features even after years of use...so the padding is firmer.

Items #1 & #2 are the seating material...but items #3 & #4 are the cushions for the comfort seats that is below the seating material. You can see in the screen shots below from the part database that the part nbrs for item #3 are different based on how the vehicle seats are optioned. Even though the seating materials (merino/nappa/sensatec/sensafin) may have a different feel...its not the material that makes the seats firmer or softer that some owners complain about...it is the cushion/padding below the seating material that makes the seat firmer/softer.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: try before you buy! . The massaging and/or ventilated seat options will change the firmness of the seating surface.

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2023, 10:25 AM   #28
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
I have the nappa with only ventilation. I did not add the massage feature. The seat is very comfortable and soft. And the ventilation although subtle does cool body down on hot days.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #29
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The difference is not the material...it is the padding beneath the material.

If the MC seats covered in Sensatec did NOT have the massage or ventilation feature...then the padding (cushions) below the material is not as firm. You can pull up the seat diagrams to see that the cushions have different part nbrs based on the options added to the seat. The cushions are FIRMER if you have ventilation and/or massaging feature due to the fans, bladders, and massaging bubbles incorporated into the seat. You should not be able to feel these features even after years of use...so the padding is firmer.

Items #1 & #2 are the seating material...but items #3 & #4 are the cushions for the comfort seats that is below the seating material. You can see in the screen shots below from the part database that the part nbrs for item #3 are different based on how the vehicle seats are optioned. Even though the seating materials (merino/nappa/sensatec/sensafin) may have a different feel...its not the material that makes the seats firmer or softer that some owners complain about...it is the cushion/padding below the seating material that makes the seat firmer/softer.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: try before you buy! . The massaging and/or ventilated seat options will change the firmness of the seating surface.

I also think it’s likely the massaging mechanism that’s the key factor here.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #30
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
please add age, height and weight with each opinion
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      10-09-2023, 03:40 PM   #31
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
The multi contours automatically adjust the side bolsters when the driving mode is set to sport.

While the sports seats have power side bolster adjustment, the setting is not tied to sport mode.
Just another thing to break.

I would much rather have manual control over all of my primay seating controls and the steering telescope/height function.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 11:23 PM   #32
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Just another thing to break.

I would much rather have manual control over all of my primary seating controls and the steering telescope/height function.
You sound like my dad when power windows first came out. I've had power windows for the last 37+ years and the only failure I had was a broken regulator on a Lincoln (that was a copy of BMW's regulator). Never had a power seat or mirror failure.
Appreciate 1
NGT25553.50
      10-11-2023, 03:03 AM   #33
Honolulu
Rep
Drives: BMW 5303

I've had 30 bimmers and fixed a ton of window regulators. Have an E46 convertible waiting for the right rear to be fixed. Lucky I can park where the rain won't blow in... much. Also have an E9 (1973 3.0CS) with 3 of four electric windows inop, what joy.

Windows are something BMW has never gotten quite right IMHO. Stick around, you'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 11:05 PM   #34
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
I've had 30 bimmers and fixed a ton of window regulators. Have an E46 convertible waiting for the right rear to be fixed. Lucky I can park where the rain won't blow in... much. Also have an E9 (1973 3.0CS) with 3 of four electric windows inop, what joy.

Windows are something BMW has never gotten quite right IMHO. Stick around, you'll see.
The Lincoln's problem was the plastic used on a cable guide.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 03:16 AM   #35
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
You sound like my dad when power windows first came out. I've had power windows for the last 37+ years and the only failure I had was a broken regulator on a Lincoln (that was a copy of BMW's regulator). Never had a power seat or mirror failure.
Upset from the other thread I see.

The logic of what I said is quite sound. The more stuff you stuff into your car, the more you are going to have to fix.

You know I am right, and you will still stuff your car full of stuff, and that is ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:43 AM   #36
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have a 2024 loaner at the moment and it’s a luxury line 540. Same issue. And I own a 2019 540 with sport seats
And they are roomier.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 03:26 PM   #37
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Sounds like you sat in an MSport? Came from an MSport F31 and I had no issues with the thigh bolsters. Sat in a G31 MSport, OMG my legs were killing me!!!

End up getting the Comfort Seats, 110% more better. I think they are called multicontour in the US.
I have found that in the G31 sport seats, the angle of the lower cushion changes depending on height. Close to bottomed out, the seat seems to give me the perfect angle, but if I raise it a bit for visibility, my thighs no longer touch the extender cushion and it gets uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 04:26 PM   #38
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The logic of what I said is quite sound. The more stuff you stuff into your car, the more you are going to have to fix.

You know I am right, and you will still stuff your car full of stuff, and that is ok.
You don't fly, do you?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 05:06 PM   #39
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't fly, do you?
I cannot personally fly, but I do fly on airplanes. Is there a specific point you are trying to make?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 10:50 PM   #40
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cannot personally fly, but I do fly on airplanes. Is there a specific point you are trying to make?
Yeah... airplanes are chock-full of new technology that's prone to break. The A320's nose wheel rotates into position after extending. It fails to rotate so often that crews are trained on how to handle that failure.

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 10-13-2023 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 08:15 AM   #41
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah... airplanes are chock-full of new technology that's prone to break. The A320's nose wheel rotates into position after extending. It fails to rotate so often that crews are trained on how to handle that failure.
Airplanes are meticulously maintained on a daily basis, as the results of failure can be absolutely catastrophic.

Even if you had a point in context, it would not invalidate the only point I made, which is that the more tech you have on your car, the more likely it is to fail.

Why you would dispute this is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 04:50 PM   #42
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Airplanes are meticulously maintained on a daily basis, as the results of failure can be absolutely catastrophic.

Even if you had a point in context, it would not invalidate the only point I made, which is that the more tech you have on your car, the more likely it is to fail.

Why you would dispute this is beyond me.
Wanna bet? Check out the fines airlines have paid for deferred/lack of maintenance. An Alaska jet pranged it in off the SoCal coast due to lake of maintenance.

Just because there is more of something doesn't mean it is prone to failure. EVERY wear item will eventually fail. Electronic failures are usually due to heat and vibration mismanagement. I do understand your point, but, IMHO, it's so 1960's.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:07 PM   #43
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:

I don't disagree with you, but as you’d imagine, ultimately I don’t really care. Aside from flat tires, I’ve had 5 notable things go wrong with my car.

1. My display key’s remote parking function stopped working and the whole key needed to be replaced
2. One of my surround view cameras got cracked, presumably by some debris, and needed replacement
3. The vibration actuator in my steering wheel (for lane change warning) stopped working and needed replacement
4. The active grille shutter failed and the needed replacement
5. Flex disc cracked and needed replacement

4/5 of the above are directly attributable to gadgetry and wouldn’t have occurred in a lesser optioned car. (Active grille shutters only being a thing on the 550) But on the flip side, none of them got in the way of the car being usable, so as far as I’m concerned I’m no worse off than not having them. All the repairs/replacements were either warrantied or cheap. My last Bmw had far fewer bells and whistles and thus had nothing of this nature go wrong. I’ll still take the goodies any time.

Last edited by Gautam; 10-14-2023 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 05:42 PM   #44
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
I don't disagree with you, but as you’d imagine, ultimately I don’t really care. Aside from flat tires, I’ve had 5 notable things go wrong with my car.

1. My display key’s remote parking function stopped working and the whole key needed to be replaced
2. One of my surround view cameras got cracked, presumably by some debris, and needed replacement
3. The vibration actuator in my steering wheel (for lane change warning) stopped working and needed replacement
4. The active grille shutter failed and the needed replacement
5. Flex disc cracked and needed replacement

4/5 of the above are directly attributable to gadgetry and wouldn’t have occurred in a lesser optioned car. (Active grille shutters only being a thing on the 550) But on the flip side, none of them got in the way of the car being usable, so as far as I’m concerned I’m no worse off than not having them. All the repairs/replacements were either warrantied or cheap. My last Bmw had far fewer bells and whistles and thus had nothing of this nature go wrong. I’ll still take the goodies any time.
To each his own. Stuff breaks, and I don't need or want superfluous gadgets.

When I went with the G31, it was a compromise car for me. Needed something funnish but with space for the family and AWD to deal with Alpine drives in the winter. Specifically avoided anything heavy (e.g., sunroof, unsprung weight with 20s, etc.) or anything that was just nearly pointless (HUD, 360 cam, etc.).

Everyone should choose what they want, but I want reduced maint. where possible and the lowest weight possible.

With my config. I think it is the best driver's car in the segment (remembering that Euro M-Sport suspensions are stiffer than US), and it has more than enough luxury.
Appreciate 0