BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G31 RC Key Programming

05-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Baz727
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

G31 RC Key Programming

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
First time poster !!

I've just replaced the battery in my Remote Control. It then would not open the car. Following the advice on here I opened it with my spare key then left that key indoors. Car wouldn't start so put the RC against the key markings on the side of the steering column. Voila ! Car starts - but the RC will not do anything else - lock / open the car etc. Do I need to re programme the key with my driver settings now ? I can't see how to do that.

Any help would be gratefully received !

Thanks

Baz
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz727 View Post
First time poster !!

I've just replaced the battery in my Remote Control. It then would not open the car. Following the advice on here I opened it with my spare key then left that key indoors. Car wouldn't start so put the RC against the key markings on the side of the steering column. Voila ! Car starts - but the RC will not do anything else - lock / open the car etc. Do I need to re programme the key with my driver settings now ? I can't see how to do that.

Any help would be gratefully received !

Thanks

Baz
Might it be a bad battery. As one car guru says: "NEW stands for never ever worked".
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:38 AM   #3
Baz727
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Might it be a bad battery. As one car guru says: "NEW stands for never ever worked".
Thanks Steve,

I took the battery out & there is a small sticker on the underside that I didn't realise needed removing - doh !

Works OK now !! Strange that bit would allow the car to start though...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz727 View Post
Thanks Steve,

I took the battery out & there is a small sticker on the underside that I didn't realise needed removing - doh !

Works OK now !! Strange that bit would allow the car to start though...
One more time....

The remote fob is more than a one-trick-pony. It is operating/communicating with multiple systems. The starting function of the key is self powered through induction...so the battery inside the key does NOT EVER prevent the remote from starting the car. That's why if the remote won't start the car...you place it next to the icon on the steering wheel column...that is the induction ring that will power up the transponder in the remote that communicates the encrypted ISN (individual serial number) with the ECU/DME, CAS, FEM, & BDC control modules which allows the car to start.

The central locking system and the anti-theft alarm siren system also receives a transmitted RF (radio frequency) signal when the buttons on the remote are pressed. The aerial for this RF signal is usually built into the rear windshield on sedans...or is embedded in the left rear cargo window on SAVs & wagons...which then sends commands to the control modules that lock/unlock and arm/disarm the car. These features DO require the battery inside the key for power. That's why when the new battery still had the sticker on its backside...it wasn't powering these features of the remote...so the car wouldn't lock/unlock etc when the buttons were pressed....BUT...it would still start the car.

If you have CA (comfort access) then the remotes also send signals to CA aerials located around the car...when they pick up the signal from the remote...it allows you to touch the door handles etc to lock/unlock the vehicle or open the trunk. This system is also powered by the battery inside the remote.

Hope this makes sense.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-27-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0