BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 5 Series Launched in Melbourne - first in the flesh photos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-22-2016, 01:35 AM   #67
Rupes
Major
Rupes's Avatar
United_States
915
Rep
1,440
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

Guess I'm in the minority that finds this look to be pedestrian and safe vs "stunning."
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #68
TheShafro
Private
9
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 08 M3, 02 M5
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
The US market has not been getting the small M logos. Probably won't again. No more M on the wheels which is good

Is it really that big of a deal. What is a big deal is how the car drives. You don't buy badging. You buy a car
Have you not seen all of the 2, 3, 4 series with "M-Performance" decals and other crap? The US market will definitely still be getting these M-whored out cars.

Yes, it is a big deal to me and, I'm willing to bet, a lot of other enthusiasts, especially M collectors. The brand is literally being watered down in front of us and just doesn't carry the same weight it once did.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #69
clbmw
Major
529
Rep
1,469
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

It's 2016, holographic switches would be better than plastic and lighter than both metal and plastic Ceramic is so 2015

Appreciate 1
Julian113.00

      10-22-2016, 03:34 AM   #70
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
Brazil
4160
Rep
15,566
Posts

Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (26)

The plastic is just fine, so I'm surprised people are complaining about the lack of metal.
Appreciate 1
DD335i109.00

      10-22-2016, 04:40 AM   #71
DeeKay
Lieutenant
DeeKay's Avatar
Denmark
368
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 420d GranCoupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Don't say M is only exclusively for the M models. The 7-series doesn't have an M7 but they do have M performance options available.

Also, the M4 GTS is slower than the Ford and Chevy priced 1/3 less around Laguna Seca.

Even if you get an "M", it doesn't mean you have a top-of-the-line performance vehicle capable of beating cars underneath it's price point.

Watch the whole thing.
I think a massive part of this is not lap times. Clarkson and the old Top Gear crew said it a few times, the most important scar can do is make you feel special or happy when you drive it - please show me a plastic mustang or Chevy that gives you the same feeling
__________________
| 2017 BMW 420d GranCoupe |
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 04:45 AM   #72
Inablur
Private First Class
161
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: Silber Bimmer
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
The plastic is just fine, so I'm surprised people are complaining about the lack of metal.
People will always find something to bish about. M decals this, lack of metal that...its just human nature.
Appreciate 2
DD335i109.00
Fabb39.50

      10-22-2016, 05:12 AM   #73
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
678
Rep
2,715
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I notice that despite being a msport model the windows have chrome around them rather than being black. (wonder if that is market specific?)

do we know if the steering wheel is chrome plastic or metal at this stage? I am certianly in the camp that thinks its a bit too shiney and thay the f10 lci steering wheel looks better.

generally I like the g30 but will save my judgement for when I get to see one for real and obviously get to drive one.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #74
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I notice that despite being a msport model the windows have chrome around them rather than being black. (wonder if that is market specific?)

Here you can choose to fit the silver surrounds instead of the black.
Just like you can fit a M Sport steering wheel to any model or the black roof lining to any model

Market specific options
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #75
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShafro View Post
I swear to god, BMW M division is now officially worthless. They've milked the brand for far too long during these last 5 years. From the M2353894i to all the extra M badging on the most basic models.

Seriously, WTF is this bullshit?!

M Performance is a brand just below M.
Most models will have a Mxxx as their top model before the M brand model, if there is a M brand model.

Like M140, M240, X4 M40i, M550xi, M760Li etc


The little M badges have been standard on M Sport models around the world since the F30 in 2011.
The world is used to them.

__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 1
Meast15.00

      10-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #76
Wheel man
Private
Wheel man's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe Competition
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Dallas Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have to agree with Rupes, the exterior design is very reminiscent of the last generation five series just with three series headlamps and the addition of side vents.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #77
antzcrashing
Lieutenant Colonel
antzcrashing's Avatar
United_States
528
Rep
1,975
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern MA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShafro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultamte View Post
Car looks great...Except that "little M badge" on the side of the car - looks so out of place and like a tacky add on.

I agree the hood line looks much better now that it is more integrated with grills/front of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Looks great! Now take all the phony M nonsense off the car and stop diluting the M division to scrape a few more bucks off the ignorant consumer.
THANK YOU! I seriously thought I was the only one that was going to comment about this....


I swear to god, BMW M division is now officially worthless. They've milked the brand for far too long during these last 5 years. From the M2353894i to all the extra M badging on the most basic models.

Seriously, WTF is this bullshit?!


This is the kind of shit kids buy off of eBay to put onto their broken E46 328i's. BMW now makes factory poser cars. In 10-20 years when kids pick up used G30's off Craigslist, they won't need to put M vinyls and badges on them.

Sorry, I had to vent. /rant


Interior looks nice, not a fan of kidney grilles becoming bigger than the headlights with each generation.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #78
Pyrat 2
Colonel
Pyrat 2's Avatar
United_States
1232
Rep
2,526
Posts

Drives: Rapidly from A to B
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2020 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
Hard for me to get past the wheels to really comment on the exterior. They gotta go. This as good as they will ever look with all those spokes and the accumulation of brake dust that will be on them. The MSport wheels on the previous gen 5 series helped make it one of the classiest looking sedans out there.
__________________
2016 M2, 2014 X1, 2013 135is, 2006 330i, 2003 323 Ci, 2001 330i, 1999 M3 (RIP), 1996 318is, some non-BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #79
scoobysaurus
First Lieutenant
523
Rep
390
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Desert

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
I think a massive part of this is not lap times. Clarkson and the old Top Gear crew said it a few times, the most important scar can do is make you feel special or happy when you drive it - please show me a plastic mustang or Chevy that gives you the same feeling
Kind of ironic considering that the past few pages of this thread are almost exclusively about "plastic" in BMW's and how that doesn't make them any lesser than comparable Mercs without plastic.

I wish the haters actually drive a GT350 before passing elitist comments - the driving experience is so similar to an E9X M3, but with even more sound and drama. Not that it would change their apparent bias, but at least they'd know deep down that they're wrong to diss a great car just because of its badge.

Speaking of the E9X M3 and GT350, I wonder if they're going to raise the redline on the S63 for the new M5.. A 7,500rpm redline like the S55 would differentiate it a bit, considering that the engine isn't all-new this time around.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #80
Kdizk
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 13 328i xdrive sport line
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Don't say M is only exclusively for the M models. The 7-series doesn't have an M7 but they do have M performance options available.

Also, the M4 GTS is slower than the Ford and Chevy priced 1/3 less around Laguna Seca.

Even if you get an "M", it doesn't mean you have a top-of-the-line performance vehicle capable of beating cars underneath it's price point.

Watch the whole thing.
I think a massive part of this is not lap times. Clarkson and the old Top Gear crew said it a few times, the most important scar can do is make you feel special or happy when you drive it - please show me a plastic mustang or Chevy that gives you the same feeling
That would be a little difficult, but you can go to the dealer's and look at them yourself. From Motor trend, the engine note of the Camaro compared to the M4 is even better.

M has lost its meaning...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #81
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
203
Rep
470
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShafro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultamte View Post
Car looks great...Except that "little M badge" on the side of the car - looks so out of place and like a tacky add on.

I agree the hood line looks much better now that it is more integrated with grills/front of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Looks great! Now take all the phony M nonsense off the car and stop diluting the M division to scrape a few more bucks off the ignorant consumer.
THANK YOU! I seriously thought I was the only one that was going to comment about this....


I swear to god, BMW M division is now officially worthless. They've milked the brand for far too long during these last 5 years. From the M2353894i to all the extra M badging on the most basic models.

Seriously, WTF is this bullshit?!


This is the kind of shit kids buy off of eBay to put onto their broken E46 328i's. BMW now makes factory poser cars. In 10-20 years when kids pick up used G30's off Craigslist, they won't need to put M vinyls and badges on them.

Sorry, I had to vent. /rant


Interior looks nice, not a fan of kidney grilles becoming bigger than the headlights with each generation.
The US market has not been getting the small M logos. Probably won't again. No more M on the wheels which is good

Is it really that big of a deal. What is a big deal is how the car drives. You don't buy badging. You buy a car
if this is true that you don't buy badging but buy the car than why put the M badge when it clearly isn't an M car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #82
WillieMaykit
Private
WillieMaykit's Avatar
United Kingdom
17
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: F11 520d Luxury
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bromley, UK

iTrader: (0)

Video Review

Not sure how to embed the video.
__________________
----

Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #83
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMaykit View Post

Here you go
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #84
GFK007
Lieutenant
199
Rep
579
Posts

Drives: 2014 m235i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

It's good looking though not awe inspiring. Definite improvement to the f10 - which looked bloated and bland. Better looking than the new E Class which to me is legitimately a lwb C.

To me - this is a bigger improvement over the the f10 than the G11 7er was over the F01 7er.
__________________
MG on CR M235i, mods to come...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #85
EuroWhips
Private First Class
Singapore
26
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Love everything about it, truly stunning. Just can't stand the M badge though, seems so out of place.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #86
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
F83's Avatar
1328
Rep
1,473
Posts

Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
Nice but.... rear screens and the M badge don't really belong on the same car now do they?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #87
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2184
Rep
3,612
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShafro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
The US market has not been getting the small M logos. Probably won't again. No more M on the wheels which is good

Is it really that big of a deal. What is a big deal is how the car drives. You don't buy badging. You buy a car
Have you not seen all of the 2, 3, 4 series with "M-Performance" decals and other crap? The US market will definitely still be getting these M-whored out cars.

Yes, it is a big deal to me and, I'm willing to bet, a lot of other enthusiasts, especially M collectors. The brand is literally being watered down in front of us and just doesn't carry the same weight it once did.
There is no point in ranting anymore. This topic has been exhausted and this is like the billionth time it has been brought up here. Disagree and move on.
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, APEX EC-7
Instagram: @brandonsclean3
Appreciate 2
JustChris8898.50
BMWZ4805.00

      10-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #88
goj
Brigadier General
goj's Avatar
United_States
2184
Rep
3,612
Posts

Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
Nice but.... rear screens and the M badge don't really belong on the same car now do they?
Maybe it's a racing simulator to the kids in the (recaro) car seats in the back
__________________
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, APEX EC-7
Instagram: @brandonsclean3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST