BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bluestone Metallic vs Sophisto Grey Metallic vs Space Grey

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #67
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
What kind of spoiler is that? It's not the same as on the M550i.
There are 2 M Performance spoilers
The M550i picture seems to have the thin carbon spoiler.
The other picture seems to have the "matt black""paintable" spoiler
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #68
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbBE View Post
Seems this is just glued on to it, when you pull hard you can just take it with you.
How did you think spoilers are fitted ?
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #69
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
1321
Rep
8,942
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 CP in Marina Bay Blue
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
How did you think spoilers are fitted ?
They are taped on with double sided. Takes 2 minutes
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2019 M5 Competition MBB & Silverstone..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #70
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
They are taped on with double sided. Takes 2 minutes
Yes I know some are taped and some are glued.
I was asking they poster why he was surprised by the way they were fixed to the G30.

The G30 instructions call for glue on both types of spoilers
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #71
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
1321
Rep
8,942
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 CP in Marina Bay Blue
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Yes I know some are taped and some are glued.
I was asking they poster why he was surprised by the way they were fixed to the G30.

The G30 instructions call for glue on both types of spoilers
Here in the UK AFAIK all are taped, I would not be happy if one was glued as if it needed replacement you would need to respray the boot.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2019 M5 Competition MBB & Silverstone..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #72
HerbBE
New Member
3
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: F11 - 2013
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Yes I know some are taped and some are glued.
I was asking they poster why he was surprised by the way they were fixed to the G30.

The G30 instructions call for glue on both types of spoilers
Then i think indeed they used tape in this case, it moved all around when you pull on it. Just curious what will happen in a carwash.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #73
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbBE View Post
Just curious what will happen in a carwash.

Please say you dont use a carwash on a fine car like this
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #74
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
1151
Rep
10,197
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Here in the UK AFAIK all are taped, I would not be happy if one was glued as if it needed replacement you would need to respray the boot.
Different BMW spoilers have different mounting techniques.
Some come with tape, other ask for glue.

Some dealers tape the ones that ask for glue but then they dont fit quite right.

G30 ones ask for glue
__________________
BMW if you are reading, I need a job, Please.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 04:02 AM   #75
Pure
Captain
Pure's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
758
Posts

Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: DF (North America)

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferCheefer View Post
old man tan
Everyone is free to give their opinion. In my case I do not like that gray trend. If you dig deeper into the psychological meaning of the gray color you will be surprised. Gray is the color of sadness, boredom, mediocrity, indifference. Maybe it's the reflection of the world, but nobody wants to see it. Gray areas are the areas of unemployment and loneliness. The auto industry, homes, Smartphones have abused its use. In addition BMW does not use gray interiors because they lack prestige. Interiors in black or beige have class. Black cars, silver, or with a subtle touch of champagne and gold or beige as Atlas Zedar always look more expensive. Greetings ..

And I'm not old I'm 35...

I do not know how old you are, but I have more knowledge than you....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #76
morellomax
Lieutenant
87
Rep
537
Posts

Drives: 530dx Msport, M240i conv.
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Well that's a cheerful way to revive a 6 month old thread
__________________
2017 530dx MSport, 2018 M240i convertible, both Bavsound stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:46 AM   #77
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
1321
Rep
8,942
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 CP in Marina Bay Blue
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Everyone is free to give their opinion. In my case I do not like that gray trend. If you dig deeper into the psychological meaning of the gray color you will be surprised. Gray is the color of sadness, boredom, mediocrity, indifference. Maybe it's the reflection of the world, but nobody wants to see it. Gray areas are the areas of unemployment and loneliness. The auto industry, homes, Smartphones have abused its use. In addition BMW does not use gray interiors because they lack prestige. Interiors in black or beige have class. Black cars, silver, or with a subtle touch of champagne and gold or beige as Atlas Zedar always look more expensive. Greetings ..

And I'm not old I'm 35...

I do not know how old you are, but I have more knowledge than you....
If that's you in the Aviator you look lovely, cheer up live is short enjoy.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2019 M5 Competition MBB & Silverstone..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #78
Roger_M
Private First Class
Roger_M's Avatar
Luxembourg
49
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: M550i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Luxembourg

iTrader: (0)

Well, this thread is about a comparison of color options; I looked long and hard before deciding on "Sophisto" grey, and I'm delighted now that I did.

I realize that "grey" is sometimes equated with "dull and boring", but with this particular grey it's not the case. In the garage and at night the car looks decidedly dark and anonymous, almost black, however in the sunlight it shines with a much lighter shade, a purple sparkiness is apparent, and the bodywork gleams subtly and differently from every angle.....

Part of this is due to the specially-developed Xirallic / "brillianteffekt" technology of the paint process, I'm told, but the overall effect is really lovely.

So before writing off BMW "light grey", "dark grey", "medium grey", or any other color, I really believe it is worth seeing that car in the metal before making one's mind up.
__________________
M550i xDrive delivered June 20 2017
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #79
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
Bandiano's Avatar
United Kingdom
69
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norfolk uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post
Well, this thread is about a comparison of color options; I looked long and hard before deciding on "Sophisto" grey, and I'm delighted now that I did.

I realize that "grey" is sometimes equated with "dull and boring", but with this particular grey it's not the case. In the garage and at night the car looks decidedly dark and anonymous, almost black, however in the sunlight it shines with a much lighter shade, a purple sparkiness is apparent, and the bodywork gleams subtly and differently from every angle.....

Part of this is due to the specially-developed Xirallic / "brillianteffekt" technology of the paint process, I'm told, but the overall effect is really lovely.

So before writing off BMW "light grey", "dark grey", "medium grey", or any other color, I really believe it is worth seeing that car in the metal before making one's mind up.
Agree Roger
Personally my G30 in sophisto is my first grey car and I have gone from not being sure about my colour choice to absolutely loving it.
__________________
BMW F11 530d Msport touring
Jaguar XKR100 Convertible
Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #80
morellomax
Lieutenant
87
Rep
537
Posts

Drives: 530dx Msport, M240i conv.
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Just after I'd committed to my Med Blue G30, my wife thought it helpful to tell me that actually the Sophisto Grey car she'd seen in a dealer showroom was the nicest looking paint choice....
__________________
2017 530dx MSport, 2018 M240i convertible, both Bavsound stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #81
BobRBob
Private First Class
BobRBob's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2017 540ix, Dark Graphite
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

If you buy an M-Sport, the choice is further narrowed to a boring range of greys with black on one extreme and white on the other with Med Blue the only exception. The 5 Series is a stunning car and looks good in all the available colours but the car really deserves a more interesting palette. I don't know why BMW thinks the 5er should only reveal its lovely lines in monochrome but I don't think this kind of reserved and stodgy thinking is representative of the average buyer.
__________________
2017 540ix Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory/Black Dakota
Previous
2014 535ix Imperial Blue/Oyster, Comfort Seats
2011 528i Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #82
Roger_M
Private First Class
Roger_M's Avatar
Luxembourg
49
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: M550i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Luxembourg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
If you buy an M-Sport, the choice is further narrowed to a boring range of greys with black on one extreme and white on the other with Med Blue the only exception. The 5 Series is a stunning car and looks good in all the available colours but the car really deserves a more interesting palette. I don't know why BMW thinks the 5er should only reveal its lovely lines in monochrome but I don't think this kind of reserved and stodgy thinking is representative of the average buyer.
Agree in principle, however I think there are (at least) 3 dimensions to consider when designing a suitable color palette for any particular model:

- smaller versus larger exterior size of the car
- sportiness versus luxury (image and driving experience)
- older versus younger driver

A larger, more comfort-oriented BMW for a more, ahem, middle-aged guy would in my opinion all imply a sober and sombre range of colors.

On the other hand, a smaller sportier car, for a younger person would justify a brighter more imaginative range of colors.

To take an extreme example, Sakhir orange looks great on an M3/M4 but would look odd on my 5-series.

On the other hand, Sophisto-grey is elegant on a bigger car but would most likely bore the pants off a young go-getter driving in a 1- or 2-series.

I like to think this is why the color selection is chosen as it is, although yes, more variety would be appreciated on the luxo-barges!
__________________
M550i xDrive delivered June 20 2017
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #83
BobRBob
Private First Class
BobRBob's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2017 540ix, Dark Graphite
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Well, if they offered more colours and they didn't sell then we'd know for sure how buyers feel about it. By the way, this is fairly recent. When I bought my first 5er the colour selection was far wider.

2001 BMW 5 Series Exterior Colors included:

Alpine White
Anthracite Metallic
Aspen Silver Metallic
Cosmos Black Metallic
Electric Red Jet Black
Orient Blue Metallic
Oxford Green Metallic
Royal Red Metallic
Sahara Beige Metallic
Siena Red Metallic Slate
Green Metallic
Steel Blue Metallic
Titanium Silver Metallic
Topaz Blue Metallic

Oh well...
__________________
2017 540ix Dark Graphite Metallic/Ivory/Black Dakota
Previous
2014 535ix Imperial Blue/Oyster, Comfort Seats
2011 528i Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #84
Ryno 27
Lieutenant
United_States
105
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

BMW Individual... Singapore Grey!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:49 AM   #85
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
678
Rep
2,715
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

yes they really did seem to offer a wider spectrum of colours back in e39 days.....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 02:11 AM   #86
Roger_M
Private First Class
Roger_M's Avatar
Luxembourg
49
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: M550i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Luxembourg

iTrader: (0)

Well, here they are offering 17 different colors for the entire 5-series range, except the two M-performance models (both 10).
__________________
M550i xDrive delivered June 20 2017
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #87
remmib
General
remmib's Avatar
Norway
1274
Rep
28,950
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post
Well, here they are offering 17 different colors for the entire 5-series range, except the two M-performance models (both 10).
Pretty sure most makets gets the same colors. But if you go with M-sport package, you only gets the same 10 colors as the M550.

And while 17 colors sounds a lot, it doesn't really help since they're all so similar. No proper blues or reds that you at least can get on the Audi A6.
Attached Images
 
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #88
Roger_M
Private First Class
Roger_M's Avatar
Luxembourg
49
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: M550i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Luxembourg

iTrader: (0)

I do like Med blue, but difficult to imagine a 5-series in red (very dark red perhaps). Comes back to my post above about large cars looking better in sober tints.

But good point about 17 colors mostly looking very similar.....you'd need to spend hours in the showroom differentiating them! True also that M-cars can justify a more dramatic hue.
__________________
M550i xDrive delivered June 20 2017
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST