BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Dispatched from factory!

02-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #45
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywall View Post
Exactly! Besides the engine, everything touchscreen really turned me off from the new redesigned Audi's. Hate the fact that everyone's heading that way... because Tesla. Also, cheaper production.
That's the other thing. I couldn't get passed the 2.0T. I looked at a 530. I don't think I can ever buy a 4 cylinder full-size sedan.
Greywall433.50
      02-06-2023, 03:31 PM   #46
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

Did the dealer give you the choice on the regular emblem or the 50th anniversary emblem?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 04:09 PM   #47
Carmody
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i

Quote:
That's awesome! Love the C7 S6, wanted so badly to get the next one. But alas, Audi decided to forgo the v8 for a mild hybrid V6. Started looking at M550i mainly because I'd have to buy used 2018 or older to get a V8. Also didn't want a full RS car, especially one in wagon format.

I'm down for former Audi owners with M550i club, sign me up! (need a better name tho)

Picked up your car yet?
Yes, this is similar to my thinking: I wanted a V8 sedan or wagon, so M550i was the only reasonable choice. I still gave the C8 S6 a chance and test-drove it: it felt slow and unresponsive; besides, I did not like the engine sound and the touch screens.

The big day is tomorrow!
Appreciate 2
Greywall433.50
Mosaud19983941.50
      02-06-2023, 04:23 PM   #48
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
I looked at a 2019-2020 Audi A6 when I sold my E90. Man, I could not get passed the whole touchscreen crap. Literally, everything was touch-screen in that thing. From the headlight control to changing the climate control temperature.

I took a hard pass on the A6. Glad I went with the 540.
I had not had a view on the everything-via-touchscreen approach until I experienced it first-hand when test-driving a 2023 Audi S6. Now I know exactly what you mean!
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19983941.50
      02-06-2023, 04:30 PM   #49
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post
That's the other thing. I couldn't get passed the 2.0T. I looked at a 530. I don't think I can ever buy a 4 cylinder full-size sedan.
I would not consider a 4-cylinder car for myself, but I was pleasantly surprised when I rented a BMW 530 for the first time: it felt stronger and more responsive than a V6 Nissan Maxima I had rented a few months earlier.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 04:38 PM   #50
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Did the dealer give you the choice on the regular emblem or the 50th anniversary emblem?
The 50th anniversary emblem was an option when I ordered my M550i.
Appreciate 1
Greywall433.50
      02-07-2023, 06:54 AM   #51
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmody View Post
The 50th anniversary emblem was an option when I ordered my M550i.
My dealer is forcing it on me. Claims it's not easy to remove the option. I told him I rather not because it doesn't look good on the gray imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:07 AM   #52
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
My dealer is forcing it on me. Claims it's not easy to remove the option. I told him I rather not because it doesn't look good on the gray imo.
There was no dealer pressure in my case: I decided against this option, and the dealer did not seem to care.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 07:21 AM   #53
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

For my m550 order, the badge was a £300 cost option.
Not my preference even if it was free. Seems a lot of money for this imho
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 08:13 AM   #54
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M550i

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
For my m550 order, the badge was a £300 cost option.
Not my preference even if it was free. Seems a lot of money for this imho
For me, we saw the 50th anniversary logo all when we visited BMW in Munich and my wife loved it. Ended up adding it to the car as "her option" to help offset her concern for the $90k+ cost. It was a must-have option for us.

I personally don't make a big fuss about stuff like this, but the design has grown on me and it's pretty different from all the other emblems.
Appreciate 2
Carmody81.00
DCDude70.00
      02-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #55
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There was no dealer pressure in my case: I decided against this option, and the dealer did not seem to care.
Very odd. Too late now anyways, just went into queue this morning for production.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #56
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:

Picked up your car yet?
Yes, I have finally picked it up!!!

I drove it for about 10 miles today. In terms of acceleration it feels comparable to my old S6, though I did not push it too hard. Otherwise, there is a noticeable difference from the S6. If I had to compress this difference into a single word, I would say "smoothness", which especially applies to the transmission and suspension. The overall experience with the M550i is more luxurious and relaxed, but the car feels very responsive nonetheless. I am also very impressed with the parking assistance package!

I have also noticed a few downsides compared to my S6: with the space-saver spare option, the trunk size is smaller than the S6's; there are no hooks at the top of the trunk to hold grocery bags; the car cannot be locked by touching one of the door handles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4657.50
Greywall433.50
DNYC1919478.00
      02-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #57
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, we can start a club of former Audi owners who have switched to BMW.

while my wife has owned bimmers since 2009, I had 3 Audi Q7 over 11y until I got my first bimmer, the X5 45e

I’m very happy with the switch, and so is my wife since driving my X5 isn’t foreign like when she would drive my Q7.
Appreciate 1
Carmody81.00
      02-08-2023, 08:22 AM   #58
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:

I have also noticed a few downsides compared to my S6: with the space-saver spare option, the trunk size is smaller than the S6's; there are no hooks at the top of the trunk to hold grocery bags; the car cannot be locked by touching one of the door handles.
congrats! looks great!

you have Comfort Access, so you should be able to lock by touching any of the door handles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Carmody81.00
      02-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #59
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:

I drove it for about 10 miles today. In terms of acceleration it feels comparable to my old S6, though I did not push it too hard. Otherwise, there is a noticeable difference from the S6. If I had to compress this difference into a single word, I would say "smoothness", which especially applies to the transmission and suspension. The overall experience with the M550i is more luxurious and relaxed, but the car feels very responsive nonetheless. I am also very impressed with the parking assistance package!

right, so you can unlock the door by touching it, but you can't lock it by touching it. which i thought was odd at first as all my mercedes had it. but there is an even more efficient method with the bmw as the car locks itself once you walk away a couple of feet. if it doesnt do it, it's probably in the option setting.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #60
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M550i

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:

Congrats! Thanks for the S6 comparison. Try the acceleration in sports plus mode and let me know how that feels. My A6 would keep up with a stock S6 and this definitely feels much faster. Difference might not be much for a tuned S6. But you're right on the money regarding smoothness and luxury.

I don't have the space saver spare, and the trunk still feels much smaller than my A6. And agreed on the missing bag hooks. I found a thread and bought the hooks to install, but little scared about drilling into my new car.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1632961&page=3

The door handle touch to lock thing is supposed to be the area with the ridges on the inside of the handles. It's a bit weird and takes some getting used to. But for me, I just use the lock when walking away feature and don't bother with touching anything.

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 1
Carmody81.00
      02-08-2023, 05:53 PM   #61
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

As the guy above me said, you need to be in sport mode to get some liveliness out of these cars. In comfort mode they drive very sedated...which is fine for daily driving and fuel mileage.

You can remove the whole spare setup and it drops the floor to the non spare setup. I ordered with the spare but will likely remove it for the extra space. I always carry a plug kit in my vehicles anyways. Any time I ever got a flat I was able to fill it up and get home or to work where I could plug it. Or I was able to catch it because of a slow leak.

The touch to lock might be a setting. Sometimes when I get a rental this is turned off for whatever reason. I just turn it back on. The auto lock when you walk away is the bees knees. I wish all my cars had that.
Appreciate 1
Carmody81.00
      02-08-2023, 08:45 PM   #62
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
while my wife has owned bimmers since 2009, I had 3 Audi Q7 over 11y until I got my first bimmer, the X5 45e

I’m very happy with the switch, and so is my wife since driving my X5 isn’t foreign like when she would drive my Q7.
Before I settled on the M550i, I considered a V8 SUV. I managed to test-drive an SQ7 and an X5 M50i on the same day, practically back-to-back. The X5 was a clear winner here, as the SQ7's power delivery was laggy: there was perhaps half a second between the moment I push the accelerator and the vehicle's response. If I wanted an SUV, I would definitely go with the X5!
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4657.50
      02-08-2023, 08:52 PM   #63
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
congrats! looks great!
Thank you!

Quote:
you have Comfort Access, so you should be able to lock by touching any of the door handles.
Thank you again! I would never guess that one has to touch inside of the handle rather than the "obvious" oval part of the handle outside that looks like a button!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #64
Carmody
Private
Rep

Quote:
Congrats! Thanks for the S6 comparison. Try the acceleration in sports plus mode and let me know how that feels. My A6 would keep up with a stock S6 and this definitely feels much faster. Difference might not be much for a tuned S6. But you're right on the money regarding smoothness and luxury.
Thank you! So far I have tried comfort and sport modes; will try sport plus when I am alone in the car . A tuned S6 is much faster than a stock S6!

Quote:
I don't have the space saver spare, and the trunk still feels much smaller than my A6. And agreed on the missing bag hooks. I found a thread and bought the hooks to install, but little scared about drilling into my new car.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1632961&page=3
Thank you, I saw your earlier post with this link. I also have ordered the hooks, but am afraid to start drilling my new and very expensive toy. Is it possible to glue the hooks?

Quote:
The door handle touch to lock thing is supposed to be the area with the ridges on the inside of the handles. It's a bit weird and takes some getting used to. But for me, I just use the lock when walking away feature and don't bother with touching anything.

Enjoy the car!
As I said in response to the post by nZtiZia above (with the picture diagram) -- who would have guessed that one has to touch inside the handle! Especially, after many years of touching outside with the Audi. Automatic locking when walking away is convenient, but I am not used to this feature yet.
Appreciate 1
DCDude70.00
      02-08-2023, 10:44 PM   #65
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you again! I would never guess that one has to touch inside of the handle rather than the "obvious" oval part of the handle outside that looks like a button!
That "oval" pops out from behind revealing the mechanical door lock.
Appreciate 0