BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Sport mode: engine and gearbox separately configurable

08-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Sport mode: engine and gearbox separately configurable

I love the fact that you can configure the engine to "sport" while keeping the gearbox in "comfort", in the sport individual settings. Seems to suit the torquey nature of the 530d really well, so much that I now use this configuration all the time.

I wish you could alter these individual settings in the default comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I was wondering about that as I am not sure configuring the engine actually does?
Gearbox obvious but engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I was wondering about that as I am not sure configuring the engine actually does?
Throttle mapping, if previous generation of cars is our guide. Nothing new referenced in the G12 or G30 data.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Switching engine setting from comfort to sport certainly changes throttle mapping: it gives greater fuelling for the same pedal movement.

But I wonder also if the gearchange points depend on pedal position rather than the resultant level of fuelling, as it seems the car will change up at the same rpm point for the same pedal position, even though the acceleration is greater in the sport engine setting.....

The flip side of that coin would be that the transmission actually shifts up EARLIER in sport engine mode than comfort engine mode, if the rate of acceleration is equal.

I need to find a safe way to record video of the rev counter and the sport dials at the same time....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Throttle mapping, if previous generation of cars is our guide. Nothing new referenced in the G12 or G30 data.
ah of course....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Yes, that's true .The car shifts up earlier in sport Mode just around 3000 RPM when the engine is cold and you don't floor it , I honestly expected it to be in ballpark of 5000-6000 RPM .On plus note , it shifts smoothly .
      08-14-2017, 04:15 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Yes, that's true .The car shifts up earlier in sport Mode just around 3000 RPM when the engine is cold and you don't floor it , I honestly expected it to be in ballpark of 5000-6000 RPM .On plus note , it shifts smoothly .
There will be controls in operation while the engine is cold. Why expect the high rpm?

On a general point, shift rpms will partly depend on you as the driver, the driver adaptation part of transmission management. Influenced by both the position and speed of throttle application.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
But I wonder also if the gearchange points depend on pedal position rather than the resultant level of fuelling, as it seems the car will change up at the same rpm point for the same pedal position, even though the acceleration is greater in the sport engine setting.....
I find in my F11 535i, I have to back off the throttle in sport drivetrain mode to get the lower rpm changes. Way further than the normal throttle settings. It is one reason I prefer the normal throttle mapping, easier to modulate and get the gears you want on the throttle input.

Sport throttle doesn't appear so linear in the 535i. I need much more on and off movement to work the gearbox the way I want it to. If we call that sporty then fine, but for me it is less precise.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:03 AM   #9
Kushik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530i

I find that leaving the engine mapping in Comfort but knocking the gearbox across to S mode gives the best mix of torgue and revs. I only ever use the sport engine mapping on twisty roads and knocking across to S mode as well.....you can achieve some nice oversteer like that
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:00 AM   #10
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

There's more to it than I thought.... I configured the Sport mode as everything (engine, transmission, steering) in comfort, then drove around while pressing the sport and comfort buttons on the centre console alternately. There was still a slight change in throttle response, i.e. "comfort" engine mode in Sport driving mode is still livelier than Comfort driving mode. And occasionally hitting the sport button would make the transmission change down without altering the throttle position, so my theory about change points is all up the spout as well. I have no idea at this point exactly what changes between:
- default Comfort mode;
- Sport mode with everything configured to comfort;
- Sport mode with everything except engine configured to comfort.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #11
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

But I do know that I really like the car. Must do a proper report rather than bits and pieces...
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep

yep full on review! plus pics of course!(find a nice location to shoot the car). eagily await.

interesting though your findings there.
still running in so havent used sport yet but tempted to go for comfort as regards engine as i have found on my previous f10 it can be too sensitive and if you are not careful you end up putting in more power than you desired.
Appreciate 0