BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs New car paint protection recommendation..

03-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Wardy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

Question New car paint protection recommendation..

So my car is now '9605 Pre EU port of exit.' and the excitement is growing!!

I have been looking at getting a paint protection coating applied prior to collection. I have done a little research on here and Gtechniq seems to come highly recommended. So my question;

a) can anybody recommend a good Gtechniq approved detailer around the Plymouth area? (I am yorkshire based but have purchased the car from plymouth)

b) are there any other detailing products that compare / are worth looking at?

Thanks in advance, I have zero experience with detailing or paint protection and would like to keep my pride and joy pristine!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:09 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have clear wrap all round the car ,it also provides an extra cushion against stones besides other craps that the paint is subjected to
      03-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

For opposite views I don't use any paint protection but wax it 2 or 3 times a year (double speed wax , other waxes are also available!)
And make sure no one else washes the car. Works for me
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #4
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

I went for Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra, with a coating of Exo3, with the wheel and glass treatments. I only picked the car up last week and water and muck wash off and bead beautifully but I expect they would anyway. There's a bit of 'emperor's new clothes' about the detailing world but I thought it was worth giving it a go, and when you watch some of the detailers in action I'd sooner they were looking after a new car than the regular car dealer's preparation.

I had the dealer do the mechanical bit of the PDI but not touch the bodywork and the detailer (Azuri Car Care in Stevenage, who were excellent) were the only ones to do anything with the paint. They then dropped the car back to the dealer just a few hundred yards away.

The Gtechniq CSU is warrantied for 7 years provided an approved detailer examines the car annually. Graham at Azuri charged £750 for a new car detail, and had the car 2 days. Time will tell, but I'm thinking it was good value.

Find your local Gtechniq company here - https://gtechniq.com/detailing-services/

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:52 AM   #5
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardy82 View Post
So my car is now '9605 Pre EU port of exit.' and the excitement is growing!!
SNAP - that is exactly the same as mine when I checked yesterday.

they told me 2nd to last week in March for delivery.

In terms of paint protection, I don't usually bother but I do like to detail the car myself. This is a very simplified guide for a new car - I won't go into detail about each step - head over to detailing world for more:
Usually start with
WASH
CLAY
MACHINE POLISH
Gtechniq C2V3
Then depending on the mood I'm in, HD WAX - you don't really need to Wax after the C2V3 but I like the finish.

Wheels are always removed and sealed using Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine and tyres are dressed with Gyeon Q2 and I tend to heat seal them.

Then usually a regular wash and dried using a diluted C2V3 spray top up.

Hope that helps...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:54 AM   #6
Kipper69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2018 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Off topic I know, but mine’s at 9605 too - and I’m picking it up from Plymouth! Did you use Coast2Coast?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:03 AM   #7
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper69 View Post
Off topic I know, but mine’s at 9605 too - and I’m picking it up from Plymouth! Did you use Coast2Coast?
Mines being delivered to my door - and no I didn't use them. Its coming from Eastern BMW in Edinburgh
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
Wardy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper69 View Post
Bought mine from Ocean BMW, originally advised delivery would be end of April..it's now end of March!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Wardy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
SNAP - that is exactly the same as mine when I checked yesterday.

they told me 2nd to last week in March for delivery.

In terms of paint protection, I don't usually bother but I do like to detail the car myself. This is a very simplified guide for a new car - I won't go into detail about each step - head over to detailing world for more:
Usually start with
WASH
CLAY
MACHINE POLISH
Gtechniq C2V3
Then depending on the mood I'm in, HD WAX - you don't really need to Wax after the C2V3 but I like the finish.

Wheels are always removed and sealed using Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine and tyres are dressed with Gyeon Q2 and I tend to heat seal them.

Then usually a regular wash and dried using a diluted C2V3 spray top up.

Hope that helps...
Thanks for the advice! I use the two bucket method for cleaning, the limit of my ability from that point on has been applying a basic wax (standard Autoglym offering). The thought of machine polishing my own car scares the life out of me!

I was thinking of going down the coating route as a base on which i could then maintain? Guess what I'm trying to figure out is, whether or not it is worth it for a coating, considering I do about 25k miles per year.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep

I've never used a coating but this is what I do and happy with this. Not a high mileage driver and car kept under cover all week.
Two bucket wash method
Use lambs wool mitten and as light as possible over the paintwork
Dry with microfibre cloth and pad dry rather than wipe.
Clay bar 2 or 3 times a year
Wax 2 or 3 times a year. (Currently use double speed wax , used autoglym had wax previously )
Hose off birds muck as soon as possible.
Never let anyone clean the car including the dealerships!

Depends how ocd you are but that works for me and keeps swirl marks to a minimum.

In fact when I traded in my f10 , dealer remarked on how good the paintwork was.
I think most damage is done when cleaning as opposed to being outside so for me a sealant seems unnecessary.
Appreciate others here will disagree to me though!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I can see some people are paying an awful lot of money for paint protection.

Modern day car paints don't really need protection, they are of course a protection for the metal panels and generally are a combo of various primers with a base coat and clear system to finish them off. Wash them regularly and wax them a few times a year, that should keep them in pretty good order for the typical ownership of a car (3-4 years).
Detailing sure looks good for a few days until it rains, or condensation forms during the night on the car.

But that's just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep

yes, I have to ask the question, what are you trying to protect with the sealant. the clear coat is enough if washed properly and as said before, most damage is done whilst cleaning.

I don't see a sealant protecting against bad cleaning methodology.

The only item I see that may be of benefit is a protective film that might help against stone chips.
I've never really had any issue with those myself, I know you can't ever protect against them , they are just a fact of life but certainly keeping your distance form the car in front I think is good advice both from safety point of view but reduces the chances of stone chips to some but not all extent.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Wardy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Stone chips are unfortunately a hazard of travelling 20k + per year along the M62, I always keep a significant distance from the vehicle in front for safety and prevent the pebble dash paint effect! Funnily enough the most damage occurs from HGV’s travelling in the opposite direction throwing debris / stones at the front of my vehicle across the central reservation, on my third windscreen in two years due to this!

The whole idea of the paint protection came from a post on detailing work where a chap explained and demonstrated how the soft paint on a car was showing swirl marks even with a brand new mit and the most careful washing technique etc. He tested with Crystal Serum and it made a significant difference, was a very interesting unbiased post by a professional detailer.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would look at the clear wrap to protect from stone chips. Just have a quick search on youtube and there are loads of vehicles with it on. In the videos its looks amazing and even protects from key scratches..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #15
Louda0801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X drive

Whilst the ceramic coatings won't prevent swirls, they will certainly help. Getting a good ceramic coat like gtechniq CSU or kamikaze will also even out the clear coat on your car making it easier to clean and less likely to trap dirt. On top of that, there is less UV protection in modern paint and lacquer so the sealant will help with protecting against UV.
Appreciate 0