BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Wheel Rotation Not Recommended?

01-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
lexlopez
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 430i GC

Wheel Rotation Not Recommended?

Just visited the dealership and had my tires aligned for $300. My new tires just hit 5K and I asked them to be rotated but my advisor said it's not a recommended maintenance. For me to claim manufacturers warranty, it needs to be rotated every 5-7K miles. Not sure why it's not recommended by dealership. Should I have it done somewhere else? Or just leave it? Thank you in advance guys!

Year: 2017
Model: 530iX
Tire size: 245/40R19 P7 run flats on all 4
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlopez View Post
Just visited the dealership and had my tires aligned for $300. My new tires just hit 5K and I asked them to be rotated but my advisor said it's not a recommended maintenance. For me to claim manufacturers warranty, it needs to be rotated every 5-7K miles. Not sure why it's not recommended by dealership. Should I have it done somewhere else? Or just leave it? Thank you in advance guys!

Quote:

I have mine rotated every 7000. I go to firestone, $10 with coupon.

Everytime i go in for service they tell me i need an alignment. I have 30,000 miles on car, I refuse alignment every time. My local mechanic said no need for alignment unless car is really pulling
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
gkcmilner
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

I just looked this up today for my 2019 530e with same wheel/tire size as you.
On pg.317 of my manual it states:
Rotating wheels between axles
Different wear patterns can occur on the front
and rear axles depending on individual driving
conditions. The tires can be rotated in pairs between
the axles to achieve even wear. Further information
is available from a dealer’s service center
or another qualified service center or repair
shop. After rotating, check the tire pressure and
correct, if needed.
Rotating the tires is not permissible on vehicles
with different tire sizes or rim sizes on the front
and rear axles.

The reason I looked this up is because my 530e should get its tires rotated now, however I remember my 2012 X5 manual clearly stating that BMW doesn't recommend tire rotation for this vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #4
lexlopez
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcmilner View Post
Quote:

I just looked this up today for my 2019 530e with same wheel/tire size as you.
On pg.317 of my manual it states:
Rotating wheels between axles
Different wear patterns can occur on the front
and rear axles depending on individual driving
conditions. The tires can be rotated in pairs between
the axles to achieve even wear. Further information
is available from a dealer's service center
or another qualified service center or repair
shop. After rotating, check the tire pressure and
correct, if needed.
Rotating the tires is not permissible on vehicles
with different tire sizes or rim sizes on the front
and rear axles.

The reason I looked this up is because my 530e should get its tires rotated now, however I remember my 2012 X5 manual clearly stating that BMW doesn't recommend tire rotation for this vehicle.
Thank you GKC, this brings much clarity. I'm not really familiar with tires. Since I just had my wheels aligned, would a tire rotation not done by dealer affect anything? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
lexlopez
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I have mine rotated every 7000. I go to firestone, $10 with coupon.

Everytime i go in for service they tell me i need an alignment. I have 30,000 miles on car, I refuse alignment every time. My local mechanic said no need for alignment unless car is really pulling
Thank you! Will definitely check this out! When I drove my car after alignment, felt a slight significant change in smoothness of the ride. Mileage is less than 23K so never really had alignment issues. Just had it done since I got new tires and the tire place can't do my alignment so I went straight to dealership lol
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

BMW has always (well, mostly) recommended against rotating tires, as it changes handling dynamics, admittedly at the expense of tire wear.

Most of my cars end up with staggered wheel sizes, but even the ones with square setups (like the current G30) I never rotate.

When the tires start to show wear, I replace them. Never cut corners when it comes to tires.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Every BMW I've owned, the owners manual "recommended" not to rotate the tires. But it also gave "requirements" for if you do rotate the tires.

My suggestion is to pay attention to what is recommended and what is required. If you chose to follow the recommendation (don't rotate)...no problem. But if you choose to rotate...then I would highly suggest following the "requirements" that are given...especially the relatively short interval between tire rotations.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-17-2020 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
lexlopez
United_States
Rep

Thank you QSilver. That being said, I'll just leave my tires be and not rotate unless advised but dealership in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:49 AM   #9
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

My recent experience has been that rotating tires can present with problems as described: excessive noise which improved when the tires were put back. Tire wear didn't seem to improve either or much. I am currently not rotating but put on a lot of miles and seem to be getting extra noise anyway.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2020, 01:09 AM   #10
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I thought I was doing a good thing, but I ruined the tires on my 3 series by rotating. The car was extremely unstable on the freeway -- especially in the rain, the wind, and tire ruts. It didn't even feel safe.

I had the car aligned multiple times, which never helped. Ultimately got new tires -- which fixed the issue. Now I don't rotate.

Part of the problem is also that the runflat sidewalls are super stiff -- which I think makes the tires very sensitive to directional changes and wear patterns.

So, my advice is to not rotate.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 05:43 AM   #11
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I thought I was doing a good thing, but I ruined the tires on my 3 series by rotating. The car was extremely unstable on the freeway -- especially in the rain, the wind, and tire ruts. It didn't even feel safe.

I had the car aligned multiple times, which never helped. Ultimately got new tires -- which fixed the issue. Now I don't rotate.

Part of the problem is also that the runflat sidewalls are super stiff -- which I think makes the tires very sensitive to directional changes and wear patterns.

Quote:

I rotate every 8000 miles, i have non rft. I will get 40,000 miles out of my tires because of rotation. Front outer corners wear most, rotating slows this down.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #12
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:

I agree, but have had success over-inflating my OEM Continental RFT's by 2-4 psi where the sidewall perhaps doesn't make it stiff, as the center of the tire is more active. The extra air makes it seem softer with less "cupping" type noise. Tires: 245/45/18, F: 37 psi, R: 41 psi. The steering gets better too with more "on-center" feel and stability.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
SoCal540
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

I rotate every 8000 miles, i have non rft. I will get 40,000 miles out of my tires because of rotation. Front outer corners wear most, rotating slows this down.
Agreed, I try to rotate every 5,000 miles or so to have even wear and extend tire life. I've never had an issue rotating front to back and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #14
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

I rotate my tires (RFT) every 5000 miles - have been doing this for at least four BMWs now, and I have yet to have any issues as far as I know...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstime View Post
I rotate my tires (RFT) every 5000 miles - have been doing this for at least four BMWs now, and I have yet to have any issues as far as I know...
Never rotate it for certain BMWs.

These are laser aligned with that particular tire characteristic. If the alignment is good then the wear will be even.
Appreciate 0