BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Does BMW plan to continue the M50d line?

02-01-2021, 03:35 AM   #1
GipsyD
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 340i Luxury Line

Does BMW plan to continue the M50d line?

BMW's quad-turbo B57 S0 diesel engine has reached its end of life which means that the M50d line is out an engine. That's a real shame because BMW is one of the few manufacturers that still makes high performance diesel SUVs.

Does anyone know if BMW plans to keep the M50d name going with a different engine, like another version of the B57? Or does the buck stop here for the M50d?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:46 AM   #2
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, production of "M50d" models ended last fall. There will be no successor to this engine as far as I am concerned - the R&D costs would be huge. They still have B57 T0, now with 48V MHEV technology, which complies with Euro6 restrictions and its output is close to the discontinued B57 S0.

I dont think it make sense to keep using the M50d name.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyD View Post
Does anyone know if BMW plans to keep the M50d name going with a different engine, like another version of the B57? Or does the buck stop here for the M50d?
This is surely the end for the M50d nameplate. With diesel sales plummeting in most regions, including Europe, and PHEV/BEV sales continuing steady growth, it's easy to see why BMW has exited this segment of the performance diesel market. As mentioned by the forum member above, the new M40d range will carry the torch now since the B57 T0 was updated to meet current emissions regulations. These should continue for the remainder of the current generation 3er/4er/X3/X4, but we will have to wait and see whether they are renewed for a second generation.

Starting next year, BMW will begin introducing an M50e performance plug-in hybrid range. They will offer better performance than the discontinued M50d diesel models, and potentially better performance than the M50i gasoline models as well. In fact, it is not clear yet whether there will even be an M50i lineup for the next generation of vehicles (current evidence suggests not).
Appreciate 0