BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-28-2024, 06:39 AM   #67
Louis_BE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonMDUSA View Post
I would love it if BMW's ADAS went 1000 miles between unpredictable moves! In reality, even on mapped highways, my 23 iX will briefly blip and deactivate steering control way too often, catching me off guard, and having to manually lane center before it catches its breath and assumes steering again. On a one hour highway drive, it will typically do this at least 2-3 times. It doesn't appear to be completely random - there's usually some anomaly (merge lanes), but not sometimes not.
I was making this remark in FSD context … ADAS is not FSD, anyway I can drive 1000km with adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist without any issue … in all weather conditions … Tesla I always had phantom braking danger and or blinded by low sun …

So I still prefer the limited adaptive cruise control and lane centering above supposedly superior FSD.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004031.50
      04-28-2024, 08:04 AM   #68
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Let’s stick to the subject of the thread which is “2026 BMW iX LCI photos and details”.
Appreciate 3
      04-28-2024, 08:27 AM   #69
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
Let’s stick to the subject of the thread which is “2026 BMW iX LCI photos and details”.
Every topic that announces something new or interesting on any i car devolves rapidly and deeply into either a Tesla or anti-EV thread. It’s tiresome.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 3
      04-28-2024, 02:09 PM   #70
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Isn't it silly to compare a Model S Plaid to an iX M60? They are two completely different types of cars. Since when do we compare a low-profile sedan to a full-size SUV? I don't understand the logic. If one is going to compare the iX M60 to a Tesla it should be a Model X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
No offense but the Plaid is nothing more than a one trick pony, which is it’s 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It’s brakes are pathetic and would be lethal on any type of road course; it’s suspension is rudimentary for a car that can obtain such speeds, and of course you have to deal with the ‘stellar’ and well known Tesla (lack of) build quality.

I wouldn’t buy one regardless of the price, and the iX as a total vehicle blows the Plaid, or any other Tesla, away in almost every category.
Most "performance" Teslas are non-performance cars with upgraded motors and lowered suspensions. Indeed, Tesla suspensions are some of the worst in the industry judging by their failure rate. In our Tesla group, we see owners with brand-new cars having suspensions collapse after only a few days of ownership. It's a major problem. Last year, I believe, Tesla recalled a bunch of cars over faulty control arms.

In my entire lifetime across multiple vehicles, I've never had a car with a suspension arm that broke. These arms are breaking under everyday driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
These are exactly my thoughts. Have considered a Tesla a few times in the last few years but the ADAS and sensors is a big con for me. I drove one for a few weeks on a trip 2 years ago in California and I found the AutoPilot to be too flakey for me, even on highways (it totally missed a curve and by the time it realized, we were too wide and having to correct to avoid being sent into the divider). Plus even with the newer cameras in HW4, it still doesn’t restore all of the features like Summon and parking assist to their full, previous state. I’m willing to admit that the ADAS could have improved over the last 2 years since I drove with it, but yeah, those sensors not being there are still an important thing IMO.
Judging by the latest news coming out of NHTSA, no, Tesla's ADAS has not improved and has killed dozens of people in accidents that would not have otherwise occurred if Tesla's Autopilot had not been engaged:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/b...stigation.html

I know of no deaths reported while using similar systems from GM, Mercedes, and BMW. Ford's BlueCruise was reported to have been engaged during two recent Mach-e crashes that killed three people. Any way you slice it, Tesla's ADAS system is responsible for far more deaths than anyone else's competing system. That insane lunatic Elon Musk wants to put hundreds of thousands of robotaxis on the road using the extremely flawed system that he, personally, designed.
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2024, 02:38 PM   #71
whoa_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G34 / Kalahari Beige

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
Amazing! Especially if it was EA.
It was. I’ve never seen 200+ before, always 195/ or so.

This is also on a pre- 03/2023 build and I’m happy that the software updates improved the charging curves on it as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 02:41 PM   #72
whoa_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G34 / Kalahari Beige

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
Idk what these guys are talking about a Plad vs iX for but anyway, wow - where was this?! How long did it stay at this rate for?
Very short amount of time because I came in at like 47% SoC initially
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:17 PM   #73
FultonMDUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYLR, BMW iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Judging by the latest news coming out of NHTSA, no, Tesla's ADAS has not improved and has killed dozens of people in accidents that would not have otherwise occurred if Tesla's Autopilot had not been engaged:
It's actually very clear to me what's happening. Most manufacturers are one and done, and so the NHTSA will leave them alone when they improve a feature in a future model year. Tesla will actually *sell* you a software upgrade that improves the feature and handles new situations. NHTSA won't stop putting pressure on Tesla until they give out the FSD code to all older vehicles at no charge.

I can already envision the NHTSA expert witness in a trial testify on how Tesla has literally already fixed something but will only provide the fix to those willing to pay.

BMW and others are paying attention and won't be developing upgrades for their prior model year vehicles even if they could.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:28 PM   #74
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Isn't it silly to compare a Model S Plaid to an iX M60? They are two completely different types of cars. Since when do we compare a low-profile sedan to a full-size SUV? I don't understand the logic. If one is going to compare the iX M60 to a Tesla it should be a Model X.

Most "performance" Teslas are non-performance cars with upgraded motors and lowered suspensions. Indeed, Tesla suspensions are some of the worst in the industry judging by their failure rate. In our Tesla group, we see owners with brand-new cars having suspensions collapse after only a few days of ownership. It's a major problem. Last year, I believe, Tesla recalled a bunch of cars over faulty control arms.

In my entire lifetime across multiple vehicles, I've never had a car with a suspension arm that broke. These arms are breaking under everyday driving conditions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/b...stigation.html

I know of no deaths reported while using similar systems from GM, Mercedes, and BMW. Ford's BlueCruise was reported to have been engaged during two recent Mach-e crashes that killed three people. Any way you slice it, Tesla's ADAS system is responsible for far more deaths than anyone else's competing system. That insane lunatic Elon Musk wants to put hundreds of thousands of robotaxis on the road using the extremely flawed system that he, personally, designed.
Since I own both a 2023 M60 and a 2021 Model S Plaid I was complaining about the M60 having less range at 90% charge vs the Tesla at 80% 200 vs 260.
From there it got a little off track but this place is also for being entertaining as well as informative.
I drove a Model X as a courtesy car when Tesla service changed my gearbox fluid and I didn't like it mostly compared to the M60.
The windshield goes over your head and the visors are even narrower than the BMW.
Also the gullwing doors are slow and open and close together.
I prefer regular opening doors.
The X styling is also a bit of a duck @ssed dog's breakfast while the M60 is a traditionally shaped SUV.
However I'm sure the Model X Plaid with 1020 hp is more exciting to drive than the M60
The only feature that was interesting on the X was the driver door opening out when you approached the car.
It was cool but I'd probably turn it off since I don't want the door opening automatically every time I pass the car.
As I said I haven't used the FSD or the BMW driver assist features as I only drive short distances and the assist features take away from enjoying driving the cars so I can't comment on that.
There's some pretty cool Tesla FSD videos on YouTube and there are a lot more Teslas on the road than all the other makes combined.
Plus yes some Teslas are problematic as You have stated and experienced Nomo but I have almost 24k miles on mine now and it's 2 years and 6 months old with no issues whatsoever.
Earlier Model S had more failures but I haven't read any suspension failure posts on the Tesla Motor Club Forum since I joined in August 2023.
The build quality is also good on my Plaid and it's easier to work on removing interior panels which is a plus for me. I'm adding some better 8" door subs and the door panels only take a few minutes to remove vs the very involved removal of the BMW door panels that require specialized tools.
Going from under the hood into the passenger compartment is also more difficult on the M60.
Tesla gave me a complimentary month of free FSD for April but I haven't used it.
They lowered the subscription price to 99.00 a month from 200.00.
I like the enhanced cluster graphics so I may subscribe just for that.
My wife just spent 3k on the gardener she does every spring and I paid cash for my cars the BMW being brand new so these amounts are not a big deal for me, but I wouldn't have paid 200 for FSD but 99.00 maybe.
I'll wait until the month passes and see if the graphics go back to what they were before.

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-28-2024 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2316.50
      04-29-2024, 10:43 AM   #75
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

What has all of this to do with the IX LCI ?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 10:56 AM   #76
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
What has all of this to do with the IX LCI ?
So come up with something to add to the conversation.
Nomo said it was better to compare the IX to the Model X since they are both SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 01:16 PM   #77
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

The LCI looks the same to my eyes as the current model. I'm not looking forward to roads filled with glowing grills from the different manufacturers. I'd rather not have trademarks grabbing my attention everywhere I look.
Appreciate 3
      04-30-2024, 12:11 AM   #78
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60Cruiser View Post
So come up with something to add to the conversation.
Nomo said it was better to compare the IX to the Model X since they are both SUVs.
Well in post nr. 41 on page 2 of this thread i tried to actually add something that was in my opinion relevant to the theme of this thread, before you hijacked it with totally irrelevant things about your model S Plaid being faster and having more range than the IX M60....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:16 AM   #79
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Well in post nr. 41 on page 2 of this thread i tried to actually add something that was in my opinion relevant to the theme of this thread, before you hijacked it with totally irrelevant things about your model S Plaid being faster and having more range than the IX M60....
Sorry if I upset you.
I read somewhere that BMW is going back to a traditional smaller half grille on other models.
Being a former bodyman and painter I made removable 2/3 cover for mine.
I think it would be better if stodgy BMW added a skirt kit like this.
These new minor styling changes you speculate about are to me a distinction without a difference.

https://maxtondesignusa.net/collections/ix-sport-m60
I made my own kit and painted the black parts red but have ordered the 1 piece skirts

I also think BMW should add some real subs and tweeters on the dash to improve the B$W system for their US models.
The under seat subs just don't thump.
[url=https://postimg.cc/zHjNBfzg]

Comments?

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-30-2024 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004031.50
      04-30-2024, 06:31 AM   #80
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
I also think BMW should add some real subs and tweeters on the dash to improve the B$W system for their US models.
Comments?
I think it thumps plenty. So does my SO
(they actually think they thump way too much).

As for the styling, BMW LCIs rarely make any major changes. Most are a few head and tail light tweaks and wheel changes. That’s it. They never abandon the design intent mid cycle.

Appreciate 2
deutsch1004031.50
LVBMW1504.00
      04-30-2024, 06:49 AM   #81
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Comments?
When you dig through the specs, you'll find that the B&W system allocates about 1,000 W to bass. And the underseat shakers are in addition to that. That is a living crapton of bass power. I think the system definitely thumps. It is balanced at very high listening levels, which is difficult to achieve.

It is easy to make a system thump, but it is even easier to destroy its balance.
LVBMW1504.00
      04-30-2024, 08:52 AM   #82
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
I think it thumps plenty. So does my SO
(they actually think they thump way too much).

As for the styling, BMW LCIs rarely make any major changes. Most are a few head and tail light tweaks and wheel changes. That’s it. They never abandon the design intent mid cycle.
Well you can always turn the under seat subs down but for me going through the touchscreen is a pain.
The system is designed for you to set it then not change it.
Also without dash tweeters the sound depth is not as good as I would like it as the center speaker is not enough.
With my subs you can really feel the compression if you turn it up.
I like building car stereos as a hobby and being able to adjust the tunes quickly with level controls.
On another note BMW should have used Carbon Fiber on the console instead of the woodgrain.
There's also no good sunglass holder and the cup holder is awkward to use.

The sunvisor is too narrow so I made an extension.

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-30-2024 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 09:00 AM   #83
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
Quote:
Well you can always turn the under seat subs down but for me going through the touchscreen is a pain.
Also without dash tweeters the sound depth is not as good as I would like it as the center speaker is not enough.
I like building car stereos as a hobby and being able to adjust the tunes quickly with level controls.
On another note BMW should have used Carbon Fiber on the console instead of the woodgrain.
You like custom build sounds. That’s on you. But for most people, the BW is amazing as is. Maybe you should’ve gotten the HK system and spent the $3400 on your upgrades to fine tune it. I guess you have the M60, nothings perfect, and BMW is not going to build a perfect car for every person. Impossible.

Your others are fair criticisms. I’d argue the shit seats are a much bigger problem than a missing sunglasses holder. Especially because BMW knows how to make great seats. But that’s me.

And I like the wood trim. And the bronze. And the trapezoid steering wheel. So the 2025 M60 is a downgrade in that regard.

Appreciate 2
      04-30-2024, 10:39 AM   #84
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:

The sunvisor is too narrow so I made an extension.

The B&W system is sublime to my ear. One of the best I have ever heard. And I love the wood center panel. A touch of elegance and immune to fingerprints. It’s one of the first things that wows people when they enter (along with the crystal controls). I respect the labor you have put into your many changes, but IMHO you have diminished the interior beauty. But, to each their own and three cheers for your labor of love.
Appreciate 2
Bevforme130.00
      04-30-2024, 10:52 AM   #85
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
The B&W system is sublime to my ear. One of the best I have ever heard. And I love the wood center panel. A touch of elegance and immune to fingerprints. It’s one of the first things that wows people when they enter (along with the crystal controls). I respect the labor you have put into your many changes, but IMHO you have diminished the interior beauty. But, to each their own and three cheers for your labor of love.
A car is an appliance.
My stereo upgrade sounds a lot better to me than the stock B&W.
People who have heard it in person say it's like a concert hall.
I didn't like the crystal.
It and the woodgrain looked out of place with the rest of the interior.
I added some Cf around the crystal controls.
It was too hard to wrap them in CF.
I should have ordered the black piano console and controls.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:05 AM   #86
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
You like custom build sounds. That’s on you. But for most people, the BW is amazing as is. Maybe you should’ve gotten the HK system and spent the $3400 on your upgrades to fine tune it. I guess you have the M60, nothings perfect, and BMW is not going to build a perfect car for every person. Impossible.

Your others are fair criticisms. I’d argue the shit seats are a much bigger problem than a missing sunglasses holder. Especially because BMW knows how to make great seats. But that’s me.

And I like the wood trim. And the bronze. And the trapezoid steering wheel. So the 2025 M60 is a downgrade in that regard.
The M60 came stock with the B&W stereo.
It has good midrange but IMO needed the extra tweeters for depth and the subs for real bass.
I sometimes like to crank up my tunes to the level of an amusement park ride
I'm fine with the seats.
In my previous Jeep Trackhawk I had 5000 watts RMS.
The BMW EV cannot handle that much power but it can do 1400 watts.
You need 10 times the power to double the volume so it's plenty fun.
The Trackhawk was crazy it vibrated the mirrors and the compression made your hair feel like it's jumping
The BMW vibrates the center rearview mirror but not the door mirrors.

3200 watt mono sub amp

I also recently replaced my convex blindspot mirrors with these panoramic ones on the BMW and the Plaid.

Last edited by M60Cruiser; 04-30-2024 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:22 PM   #87
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

M60Cruiser:

Can you PLEASE stop inundating multiple threads with your modifications to your own iX?!?

Start your own bloody thread, instead of polluting so many others that are discussing markedly different things, like what specs the 2026 iX may have.

TIA
Appreciate 9
JonoNZ684.00
Young04694.50
LVBMW1504.00
Bevforme130.00
      04-30-2024, 10:24 PM   #88
Kennethjk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IX 50, Mustang Mach E, BMWX3

Quote:
The M60 came stock with the B&W stereo.
It has good midrange but IMO needed the extra tweeters for depth and the subs for real bass.
I sometimes like to crank up my tunes to the level of an amusement park ride
I'm fine with the seats.
In my previous Jeep Trackhawk I had 5000 watts RMS.
The BMW EV cannot handle that much power but it can do 1400 watts.
You need 10 times the power to double the volume so it's plenty fun.
The Trackhawk was crazy it vibrated the mirrors and the compression made your hair feel like it's jumping
The BMW vibrates the center rearview mirror but not the door mirrors.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Bn3mvzqW/20221106-122142.jpg[/img]
3200 watt mono sub amp
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/FH26NpQk/20220915_063945.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Bn3mvzqW/20221106-122142.jpg[/img]

I also recently replaced my convex blindspot mirrors with these panoramic ones on the BMW and the Plaid.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/SN6qr550/20230427-073819.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Wb2JTJKV/20240427-100041.jpg[/img]
Have you had your hearing checked, maybe get an Apple Watch, it will notify you if the decibel level is too high.

I love a good audio system but never concerned me much in a car although I once put a cassette player in my 1970 Firebird. Biggest audio add on I have ever done.

Good luck with your improvement, enjoy them.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1504.00