BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Recommended PSI, hot or cold

01-04-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Recommended PSI, hot or cold

Is the recommended psi on the door what it should be after driving for a bit or at undriven. Maybe im a noob here but I was always under the impression you put in the recommended when the tires are cold regardless if they heat up while driving. Pros, fill me in here please. What's the rule of thumb? Also what changes for you you between seasons of warmer and colder months?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
Is the recommended psi on the door what it should be after driving for a bit or at undriven. Maybe im a noob here but I was always under the impression you put in the recommended when the tires are cold regardless if they heat up while driving. Pros, fill me in here please. What's the rule of thumb? Also what changes for you you between seasons of warmer and colder months?
I believe the pressures listed on the door sticker are for cold tires.
On my M550, the recommended tire pressures displayed on Idrive will change according to the tire temperatures. I usually go by those numbers.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
On my M550, the recommended tire pressures displayed on Idrive will change according to the tire temperatures. I usually go by those numbers.
I just read it. It does state cold. This forum makes me lazy sometimes lol. Thank you though!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
miner42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Also depends upon the wheel/tire combo so door tag may not take that into affect. PSI on door is for the standard wheel size.
      01-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner42 View Post
Also depends upon the wheel/tire combo so door tag may not take that into affect. PSI on door is for the standard wheel size.
Ditto this...over the last few years BMW has gotten lazy (IMO) with the recommended tire pressure label. They used to put all the optional tire sizes on the door/door jamb label...as well as list all the recommendations in the owers manual.

But as of late...they have been only putting the "standard" wheel & tire info on the door/door jamb label...making you refer back to the owners manual for the full list of recommendations and wheel/tire options...as well as speed (over/under 100 MPH).

So also check your owners manual if the door/door jamb tire pressure label doesn't apply to the wheel/tires you have mounted.

{what BMW gives us now on the door jamb...just a single wheel/tire set-up info...with instructions to check your owners manual for additional info}

{what BMW used to give us...all the recommendations as the ones found in the onwers manual (pic below is from an X5)}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-09-2020 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Ditto this...over the last few years BMW has gotten lazy (IMO) with the recommended tire pressure label. They used to put all the optional tire sizes on the door/door jamb label...as well as list all the recommendations in the owers manual.

But as of late...they have been only putting the "standard" wheel & tire info on the door/door jamb label...making you refer back to the owners manual for the full list of recommendations and wheel/tire options...as well as speed (over/under 100 MPH).

So also check your owners manual if the door/door jamb tire pressure label doesn't apply to the wheel/tires you have mounted.

{what BMW gives us now on the door jamb...just a single wheel/tire set-up info...with instructions to check your owners manual for additional info}

{what BMW used to give us...all the recommendations as the ones found in the onwers manual (pic below is from an X5)}

I agree the old label is a lot better, but I don't think this is due to their laziness. The new door sticker is mandated by the NHTSA and limits them to only putting 1 tire and 1 pressure.

As a result, the door is now the "worst case scenario" number (assumes max load over 100MPH etc).

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/t...ssure-sticker/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
...The new door sticker is mandated by the NHTSA and limits them to only putting 1 tire and 1 pressure.

As a result, the door is now the "worst case scenario" number (assumes max load over 100MPH etc).

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/t...ssure-sticker/
Thanks for the info to direct my ire toward the NHTSA...apologies to BMW for the accusation for mucking things up.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
That is correct. All pressures on the doors are on cold tires. Always check the iDrive recommendations which will change dynamically as the tires warm up.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #9
miner42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

As Virtual Guitar has stated, check the iDrive info. It allows for wheel size, tire size and seasonal-rated tires.
      01-12-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Use the door tag for the pressure values for the tire setup that should have come from the factory. It will be for cold pressure and not after the car has been driven for a distance. Tires will generate heat from driving and the psi will increase. It will fall back to the cold pressure so no need to let air out. So an X5 may specify 36 psi front and 41 psi rear for the factory tires. The general rule is that tires lose 1 psi for every ten degree temp difference. So if you calibrate your tire pressure with 85 degree ambient temps and you travel somewhere with a 55 degree temp, you should be down three psi cold pressure. So with big temp swings or changes of season just check the tire pressure and adjust as needed.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #11
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
As Virtual Guitar has stated, check the iDrive info. It allows for wheel size, tire size and seasonal-rated tires.
Correct, but you do have to be sure you have the IDrive set for your combination and whether under or over 100mph applies. It is possible to have fun with different settings.
      01-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Quote:
Correct, but you do have to be sure you have the IDrive set for your combination and whether under or over 100mph applies. It is possible to have fun with different settings.
I have to set mine as other. I have 245 40 XL as run flats, I keep them at the other setting. Not sure if correct or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #13
jjscsix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540, 2016 GX460

Quote:
I have to set mine as other. I have 245 40 XL as run flats, I keep them at the other setting. Not sure if correct or not.
I also have non runflats and one size bigger than stock. I picked the setting that seems right to me and felt right with a little trial and error.