BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications M550i exhaust upgrade, which one?

04-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

M550i exhaust upgrade, which one?

So it appears that Dinan, Acropovic, AC-Schnitzer, Eisenmann, and Remus all have an exhaust upgrade for the M550i so which one do I choose?

Goal is not necessarily for performance, I'm looking for a much better sound than stock. Would like it louder and deeper. Would prefer to do just axle back but if I have to go cat back I would possibly do it.

Thanks for your input...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post
So it appears that Dinan, Acropovic, AC-Schnitzer, Eisenmann, and Remus all have an exhaust upgrade for the M550i so which one do I choose?

Goal is not necessarily for performance, I'm looking for a much better sound than stock. Would like it louder and deeper. Would prefer to do just axle back but if I have to go cat back I would possibly do it.

Thanks for your input...
Proper Sound your most likely looking for is going to come from a Cat-Back System..

I did an Axle back on my M4 and while the sound of the S55 was not that great it did improve however the Cat-back systems I listened to sounded far richer. took off and sold pretty quick though and just went with Exhaust Valves open on my car .

As far as which choice to go with. Id almost say its too early personally.. Id wait till the summer Go to a couple Cars n Coffee / What have you car events and see if there are others to listen too. I would also expect there will be some more exhaust to come out by Summer in addition to possibilities of some changes to current exhaust.

I have a 540I on order upgraded to the Mperformance exhaust and plan to add a Dinan Stage 1 Tune in the next 6 or so months after I take delivery of the car.

I will say I listened to to the sound clips online of the M550 with the Dinan and Remus exhaust and was not really impressed ( listened with headphones for a better sound however sound clips online rarely show true sound)

Curious to see what route you take, what others advise and if anyone post up any sound clips of there set ups
      04-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

This sounds pretty good.. I'd also consider Akra Exhaust as an option.. but you will pay for it $$$

04-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #4
runstra
Norway
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e 2021

Exhaust M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
This sounds pretty good.. I'd also consider Akra Exhaust as an option.. but you will pay for it $$$

I also considering a new exhaust to my M550i. But I don`t think the different in sound is big enough. I drive with original exghaust bu constantly open flaps and find the sound OK- From youtube its difficult to register an significantely different. Maybe more different sound at higher RPM ?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

bump - no other opinions out there?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
superiaultra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red M3

I just bought the Remus. Will report back when installed with videos and honest review. I also have a GTR full catless so that may be why I don’t hear anything, but even with valves open I can’t hear anything.

This would be a dumb question. But sport mode, valves open correct? Comfort mode valves aren’t open?
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownsoccer22 View Post
I just bought the Remus. Will report back when installed with videos and honest review. I also have a GTR full catless so that may be why I don’t hear anything, but even with valves open I can’t hear anything.

This would be a dumb question. But sport mode, valves open correct? Comfort mode valves aren’t open?
Correct my dude!
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS is the best one in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0