BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding HK centre speaker disconnect

06-24-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

HK centre speaker disconnect

hi all. having had the car a week now and spending a good amount of time using test tones and pink noise to tune the equaliser I have a great sound coming from the HK system.

i would like to disconnect the centre channel still however. Is the centre channel fed from its own channel on the amp? if so is it possible to disconnect here rather than having to take the dash to bits?

thanks in advance.

BR
Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 04:47 AM   #2
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

No the centre channel is fed from a multi connector plug from the amplifier that drives all the speakers.

It would be easier to disconnect at the speaker end.
      06-26-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
hi all. having had the car a week now and spending a good amount of time using test tones and pink noise to tune the equaliser I have a great sound coming from the HK system.

i would like to disconnect the centre channel still however. Is the centre channel fed from its own channel on the amp? if so is it possible to disconnect here rather than having to take the dash to bits?

thanks in advance.

BR
Dan
It's easy enough to disconnect it. Takes only a few minutes. Just be careful not to disconnect the passenger airbag switch. Here is a video showing how o remove the front trim strip

Could you tell me what settings you came up with?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
griopap
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:

thanks in advance.

BR
Dan
hi,
would you like to share with us the settings of your HK sound system please...

thank's
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:55 AM   #5
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Quote:

BR
Dan
Could you tell me what settings you came up with?
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Well i finally disconnected the center channel today. Very easy work taking apart and back together, tha ks for thr vid above it helped massively.

Re analysed sound with pink noise after as there wasnt quite as much high frequency energy with the centre out if the picture. Final settings are:
Logic 7: off
Bass:+1
Treble:+1
100hz: +4
200hz: -1
500hz: -6
1k: +2
2k: +3
5k: -4
10k: +2

This gives a nice deep bottom end (100hz around 20db abive 1k) and as flat as i can get it from 200hz upwards. The system has a tendency to still have a lump of around 6db at 6.3khz but lowering the 5k any more also drags down the spectrum from 2k upwards so its a but if a compromise. Tried with various genres and sounds great to my ears, especially now im getting stereo!

If you dont like quite as much bottom end just knock a few iotas off the 100hz band, it doesnt affect much higher up.

Id add a pic of the spectrum but for some reason the forum wont let me upload from my phone.

Best regards
Appreciate 0