BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications I think the spacers are causing whole car to vibrate

04-18-2023, 09:30 PM   #1
shwrb
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i M Sport

Garage List
2017 530i  [0.00]
Unhappy I think the spacers are causing whole car to vibrate

Apologies if this has been covered already, quick google search shows a lot of results but nothing concrete around g30s having this issue / pointing to the cause of issues.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.
I have spacers all around and driven on motorways/highway after installing and the months following it, I’ve had no issues. I’ve had spacers on my previous BMWs and did not have this issue, both using Bimmec 12mm front and 15mm at back.

Don’t use the motorway/highway as much so hardly travelled past 50/55mph. Only started noticing this for last 4/5 months as I’ve been on driving motorways/highway more frequently.

I started to notice that I had vibration when doing around 70/75mph. The car drives straight whilst doing these speeds, no vibration on steering wheel. Checked with a tyre company – none of the wheels are severely out of alignment, they recommended that alignment is not necessary.

Both rear tyres were balanced when I replaced it around end of September 2022. Start of January 2023, I changed both front tyres. When I got my front tyres changed, I asked for all four to be rebalanced and aligned, just in case however I still have the vibration.

I have 15mm at the front & 20mm at the rear, they’re Eibach spacers.
Everything has been tightened with the correct torque.

I have a handful of ideas to try but have not had the chance to do any of these yet due to laziness, however its coming to a point where I think I need to try it
1 – remove all spacers and try to see if this vibration is there
2 – remove each axle and drive to check
3 – change to different brand of spacers/ width

I have a 2017 530i msport not xDrive on 759 bi colour wheels.

With tyres;
Fronts: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (245/35 R20 95Y) ROF XL *MOE
Rears: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT XL * (BMW) WZ (275/30 R20 97Y)

Spacers;
Front spacers: Eibach Pro-Spacer - S90-2-15-055-B
Rear spacers: Eibach Pro-Spacer - S90-2-20-036-B
I have H&R wheel bolts all around

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 04:44 AM   #2
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I would suggest you start with your list of experiments and go from there. Really, just do 1 and 2.
Appreciate 1
shwrb10.00
      04-19-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Is one of the wheels buckled?

I had a vibration at similar speeds and it balanced fine but was visually buckled.

Vibration through the seats, nothing in steering.

Left front was buckled.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 09:36 PM   #4
shwrb
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Is one of the wheels buckled?

I had a vibration at similar speeds and it balanced fine but was visually buckled.

Vibration through the seats, nothing in steering.

Left front was buckled.
I am not sure if one of the wheels are buckled. They don't look visibly buckled.
That's one thing that never cross my mind. Will have to make another trip to the shops to check it out.

When I had it balanced I wasn't made aware of any buckling. the state of these roads with the shitty pot holes I wouldn't be surprised if they are buckled.

I have the same issue, cannot feel it through steering wheel, just the car
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwrb View Post
Apologies if this has been covered already, quick google search shows a lot of results but nothing concrete around g30s having this issue / pointing to the cause of issues.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.
I have spacers all around and driven on motorways/highway after installing and the months following it, I’ve had no issues. I’ve had spacers on my previous BMWs and did not have this issue, both using Bimmec 12mm front and 15mm at back.

Don’t use the motorway/highway as much so hardly travelled past 50/55mph. Only started noticing this for last 4/5 months as I’ve been on driving motorways/highway more frequently.

I started to notice that I had vibration when doing around 70/75mph. The car drives straight whilst doing these speeds, no vibration on steering wheel. Checked with a tyre company – none of the wheels are severely out of alignment, they recommended that alignment is not necessary.

Both rear tyres were balanced when I replaced it around end of September 2022. Start of January 2023, I changed both front tyres. When I got my front tyres changed, I asked for all four to be rebalanced and aligned, just in case however I still have the vibration.

I have 15mm at the front & 20mm at the rear, they’re Eibach spacers.
Everything has been tightened with the correct torque.

I have a handful of ideas to try but have not had the chance to do any of these yet due to laziness, however its coming to a point where I think I need to try it
1 – remove all spacers and try to see if this vibration is there
2 – remove each axle and drive to check
3 – change to different brand of spacers/ width

I have a 2017 530i msport not xDrive on 759 bi colour wheels.

With tyres;
Fronts: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (245/35 R20 95Y) ROF XL *MOE
Rears: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT XL * (BMW) WZ (275/30 R20 97Y)

Spacers;
Front spacers: Eibach Pro-Spacer - S90-2-15-055-B
Rear spacers: Eibach Pro-Spacer - S90-2-20-036-B
I have H&R wheel bolts all around

TIA
From my many years of experience this is most likely caused by a bent rim. If the wheel tech isn't specifically looking for it they usually don't even notice. A bent rim can balance properly but will still cause vibration on the road. A spacer is only as good as the surface it is sitting on. I would ensure when you pull the wheels that you clean both mating surfaces really well with a steel brush. I've even gone as far as cleaning up the hub surface a back of the brake rotor as well. Corrosion can be a bitch, its a constant battle here in Canada where our municipalities dump a ton of salt on the roads. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 06:46 PM   #6
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Check your rear drive shaft flex joint, most likely the culprit behind the vibrations. I’ve been experiencing the same thing, I have spacers too but I’m also aware that my guibo is shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 06:46 AM   #7
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

These cars are sensitive to wheel balancing and can vibrate if you look at them wrong.

However, in this case, I'd strongly suggest that you look into matching your tires - having different brands with different tread patterns and construction is never a good idea.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 12:14 AM   #8
shwrb
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 530i  [0.00]
Managed to fix the issue... Turns out none of the wheels were balanced properly!

Wheels are now balanced and the car drives so well, no issues at the moment
Appreciate 1