BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Free CarPlay

02-06-2020, 12:00 AM   #1
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Free CarPlay

Have a 2017 that is carplay prepped but never activated.
Emailed CD help and received a response this week while out of town that it’s been enabled. Will test when I’m home, but has anyone else who never had carplay actually received it, or is it “too good to be true”? I know others on here who previously paid to have it now have it for free, but don’t recall any carplay ready people actually seeing it enabled. The CD support desk did say they are backed up due to the requests.
      02-06-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Have a 2017 that is carplay prepped but never activated.
Emailed CD help and received a response this week while out of town that it’s been enabled. Will test when I’m home, but has anyone else who never had carplay actually received it, or is it “too good to be true”? I know others on here who previously paid to have it now have it for free, but don’t recall any carplay ready people actually seeing it enabled. The CD support desk did say they are backed up due to the requests.
BMW didn't move to the CarPlay subscription model until 2018. For a 2017 model, it would have been an one-time option on your window sticker.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
BMW didn't move to the CarPlay subscription model until 2018. For a 2017 model, it would have been an one-time option on your window sticker.
Yeah, I know. I am surprised that because I never paid the $300 they are giving it to me for free. My expectation is that those who were on subscriptions would just get it for free, since they paid something into having it.
      02-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Yeah, I know. I am surprised that because I never paid the $300 they are giving it to me for free. My expectation is that those who were on subscriptions would just get it for free, since they paid something into having it.
The question is do you have the right hardware in your vehicle including the required antenna. It's not just a subscription that's required on some of the older vehicles. Hopefully that's all you're going to need in particular. I'm shocked they gave it to you for free because only 2018 and 2019 models qualify! Awesomeness!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Still nada. Car is equipped with enhanced bt / WiFi hotspot / wireless charging. I know it’s supported because I still have the option to buy it for $300 in the CD store. Guess it doesn’t matter at this point; she’s heading back in a few months.
Appreciate 0