BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Approved Used BMW UK - Updating software to latest versions

02-26-2020, 04:40 AM   #1
nicholasbird
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D SE

Question Approved Used BMW UK - Updating software to latest versions

2 dealers who I have expressed an interest in their cars have both said they wont update the software / firmware to latest versions as part of a sale even as an additional cost option.

What is going on? Are there dealers who will update software as part of sale?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Did they state why?
Any particular reason you are asking for this other than to have the latest?

I believe there is a cost as I'm under the impression they will only do it to address an issue in which case the cost is covered.

I had my 5 updated in 2018 as there was a known issue with the gearbox selector ( no idea what) and so that was done under warranty. It took a good 2 hours to do, the time is based upon what hardware is installed. For example as I had VDC , they have to re calibrate that , I saw them measuring the ride height as part of that process.

As I was inquisitive about the whole thing the service guy told me into the work shop to see the technician working on it . I asked about what the update fixes and they showed me the info they get and to be honest there was not much info there so I couldn't get any details of what bugs were fixed or if any potential feature changes. In my case there was a change to the graphics in the cluster and HUD as regards the Lane assistant where you are prompted to put your hands back on the wheel but other than that you wouldn't know otherwise.

My guess is that they are doing it on a cost basis as it will cost them as it's not a warranty job. If you really feel strongly about it you could ask to pay for it but to be honest, it's not really a big deal. Should you have any issues in the future , if electronic then that may dictate an update

After all many cars will not be running with the absolute latest , mine included which will be getting in for being 2 years out of date. And mine is fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Shatter
Mr. Nobody
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Local dealership here also is reluctant to update i-Step unless there is something wrong that requires it, won't do it even if you pay. Might be differences between dealers though.
Retrofits: None
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
nicholasbird
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Did they state why?
Any particular reason you are asking for this other than to have the latest?
When i went in today, they said they would update the software and the maps for £160 and that the current software was as 02/2017, ie had never been updated since manufacture.

the fact that maps were mentioned makes me nervous that they didnt really mean a full software/firmware/idrive update, i am getting it in writing..

the reason is last time i bought a car, i test drove one and got album art from my ipod classic, but the car i eventually bought of the same era, e60 i think it was, did not show album art when i plugged in (and also didnt search by postcode on navigation). I dont want to be in a situation where i am missing functionality for what should be a straight forward enough process.

the salesperson worryingly mentioned that there were different versions of software within the g30 range, he said as much as full version of idrive different. I would love to see a document that showed which versions went with which manufacturer date and what the significant differences are between them.

does anyone know of a link to this info?

also does anyone know what has versions in a g30. I have heard of at least two, idrive and istep..what version should i be looking to put into contract if i can get them to update?

Last edited by nicholasbird; 02-26-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Magic-gnome
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 530xi G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasbird View Post
When i went in today, they said they would update the software and the maps for £160 and that the current software was as 02/2017, ie had never been updated since manufacture.

the fact that maps were mentioned makes me nervous that they didnt really mean a full software/firmware/idrive update, i am getting it in writing..

the reason is last time i bought a car, i test drove one and got album art from my ipod classic, but the car i eventually bought of the same era, e60 i think it was, did not show album art when i plugged in (and also didnt search by postcode on navigation). I dont want to be in a situation where i am missing functionality for what should be a straight forward enough process.

the salesperson worryingly mentioned that there were different versions of software within the g30 range, he said as much as full version of idrive different. I would love to see a document that showed which versions went with which manufacturer date and what the significant differences are between them.

does anyone know of a link to this info?

also does anyone know what has versions in a g30. I have heard of at least two, idrive and istep..what version should i be looking to put into contract if i can get them to update?
With G30, he's implying that it comes with either iDrive 6 or iDrive 7 lite depending on model year. You can read more on it in other threads.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
nicholasbird
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-gnome View Post
With G30, he's implying that it comes with either iDrive 6 or iDrive 7 lite depending on model year. You can read more on it in other threads.
My reading on the subject on this forum suggests that idrive 7 lite requires physically different components, so i guess upgrade to i7lite is not possible, but perhaps the latest version of 6 is?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

Yeh 3 things in the mix there
I drive software (I drive 6 in your case)
Map data
I step level

I drive software I believe only a bmw dealership can update

Map data is updated every 3 months and downloadable to a usb drive assuming the contract is transferred over. It's free for the first 3 years and then something like £160 per year after that (haven't got to that quite yet with mine). There may also be small over the air updates for small map areas but this won't be for the whole map area as it's around 32GB in size. This is arguably the item worth having out of all of these 3 items we are discussing

Last one is an istep upgrade. These seem to be quite frequent and are the firmware for car covering things like instrument cluster , lights and all sorts of other Ecuador present in the car. When you read about people coding their cars, it's these eco that are being changed, a bit like editing the registry in windows with values that have an effect on the behaviour or function, turn some functions on or off - that sort of thing.
Istep is internal to bmw and not customer facing but obviously many here know about these. There are very knowledgable people on here that know these inside out.
Bmw will update these regularly and they may address bugs or may cater for new functionality in later model cars. Updating the istep is not going to give you any new functionality ( unless possibly via coding the unofficial route)

Chances are won't notice any difference with I drive it istep upgrades but I'd argue getting map updates is more tangible potentially.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
nicholasbird
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yeh 3 things in the mix there
I drive software (I drive 6 in your case)
Map data
I step level

I drive software I believe only a bmw dealership can update

Map data is updated every 3 months and downloadable to a usb drive assuming the contract is transferred over. It's free for the first 3 years and then something like £160 per year after that (haven't got to that quite yet with mine). There may also be small over the air updates for small map areas but this won't be for the whole map area as it's around 32GB in size. This is arguably the item worth having out of all of these 3 items we are discussing

Last one is an istep upgrade. These seem to be quite frequent and are the firmware for car covering things like instrument cluster , lights and all sorts of other Ecuador present in the car. When you read about people coding their cars, it's these eco that are being changed, a bit like editing the registry in windows with values that have an effect on the behaviour or function, turn some functions on or off - that sort of thing.
Istep is internal to bmw and not customer facing but obviously many here know about these. There are very knowledgable people on here that know these inside out.
Bmw will update these regularly and they may address bugs or may cater for new functionality in later model cars. Updating the istep is not going to give you any new functionality ( unless possibly via coding the unofficial route)

Chances are won't notice any difference with I drive it istep upgrades but I'd argue getting map updates is more tangible potentially.
thanks, just spoke to bmw connected drive services, they have confirmed the idrive version is 5 November 2017, and idrive 5 november 2019 is available - the garage should do this as a matter of course. but under no circumstances could the garage update to idrive 6. So perhaps the buyer might be on the lookout for cars with idrive 6, that said, they advised that there are little differences between 4,5,6 and massive difference in 7.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

The dealer will not update the iStep of the car if something is not wrong and the car is out of warranty, because then if some ecu bricks during update (it happens from time to time) it is on their cost. Unless like in my county they make you sign a paper ypu accept the risk of a bricked ecu.

If the car is under warranty than they preform the updates bacause they just bill bmw from another ecu.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
The dealer will not update the iStep of the car if something is not wrong and the car is out of warranty, because then if some ecu bricks during update (it happens from time to time) it is on their cost. Unless like in my county they make you sign a paper ypu accept the risk of a bricked ecu.

If the car is under warranty than they preform the updates bacause they just bill bmw from another ecu.
If a dealer won't update the software, I would walk away (actually run away) from that dealer.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

When he is the only dealer in the country they can get away with it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #12
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

Hi All,

I don't use stealerships to do this work as they don't care. I do have a contact who will ensure you cars have the latest firmware all the way through and will update them when new firmware comes out. He is brilliant

PM if interested
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

I would still express my opinion that unless you have an issue , updating the istep level is just not worth doing assuming you can persuade a dealer to do it in the first place.

You won't see any difference and just because there is a letter istep version doesn't mean there isn't bugs in it potentially

I'd concentrate on having the maps updated as that is arguably a more tangible benefit.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:10 AM   #14
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

My MY 2018 went from M to S and recently to U for Istep. Some cosmetic changes. The first was free, not sure why, the second was charged at £120 as I needed to have two button press opening on the boot lid. See another thread for details.

Defo worth the boot lid, thought the ecopro stop start was handled better but downgraded when went from S to U. Pays yer money and takes yer choice

Last edited by Dephead2004; 07-24-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I believe the cost to the dealership is internal: the costs of the technician's time and the use of the update booth (last time I spoke with my dealership it had only two such booths and updating the ECU software takes some time). I don't believe that BMW charges the dealership for the use of the software.

If you want the latest and greatest software, stock to your guns. If the deal is a terrific one for you, they might walk; if the deal is a terrific one for the dealership, it will probably reluctantly agree.

You are the purchaser and therefore you are in the driver's seat. If they won't give you what you want, get in your own driver's seat and drive somewhere else.
Appreciate 0