BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Winter wheels, when to fit?

10-10-2023, 01:35 AM   #1
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Winter wheels, when to fit?

Hi all

My first winter with my 530e which is currently on staggered 1001M 20" wheels and I've a set of nice 18" winter alloys stacked in the shed but curious when most would recommend these go on?

We're having uncharacteristically warm weather for October in the UK with highs of 26ish Celsius. Historically I've put winters on in October when temps are comfortably between 10-15c during the day or if it's suddenly very wet.

Wondering what others are doing
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 12:26 PM   #2
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

I spent 2 years in England between 1998 and 2000. Neither of the winters there had me thinking I needed dedicated winter tires. Unless you're seeing regular snow, why even bother with it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:27 PM   #3
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
I spent 2 years in England between 1998 and 2000. Neither of the winters there had me thinking I needed dedicated winter tires. Unless you're seeing regular snow, why even bother with it?
İt makes a big difference on frosty days and moreso when it's heavily raining.

When we had the beast from the east, I had my f10 520d and with winter wheels, it was no bother at all even on inclines. My wife's golf on the other hand with summer wheels and fwd was horrendous, wheel spinning etc
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:16 AM   #4
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Hi all

My first winter with my 530e which is currently on staggered 1001M 20" wheels and I've a set of nice 18" winter alloys stacked in the shed but curious when most would recommend these go on?

We're having uncharacteristically warm weather for October in the UK with highs of 26ish Celsius. Historically I've put winters on in October when temps are comfortably between 10-15c during the day or if it's suddenly very wet.

Wondering what others are doing
The real answer is when the temperature is 7 degC or less. It seems that is the magical time when summer rubber become too hard to work properly and winters come into their own and are still flexible down to minus temps.

I've had winters on all my rear wheel drive cars for quite some years and generally put them on begining of December in the UK, but when travelling to Germany put them on beginning of November as a general rule, but dependant on the date of travel.

Last year I didn't buy new winters (last lot were shot) and didn't travel so had no need in the South of England. I am looking for some now as will be heading to Germany in Dec / Jan and while not compulsary for DE, if you have a misshap or get stuck in a blizzard without winters Ze Polizei will blame you as you have the wrong tyres on the vehicle and likely throw the book at you.

As a point of note, winter tyres are only better in the wet when the temp is less than 7deg 10 - 15 deg summers are better in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
The real answer is when the temperature is 7 degC or less. It seems that is the magical time when summer rubber become too hard to work properly and winters come into their own and are still flexible down to minus temps.
This is a good point, and some tires advise against running below a certain temp because the rubber compound can be compromised.
Appreciate 0