BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis RDC failure

01-09-2023, 09:43 AM   #1
j786
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520D X-Drive

RDC failure

Hi All, been reading for a very long time but first time posting. I have a 2017 G30 520D X-Drive and for the last 3 years its been pretty flawless but a while ago my tire pressure monitor started intermittently failing. It would come back randomly and then fail again until now where it has completely failed and wont give any tire pressure readings giving RDC Failure message.

Alongside this I have also noticed that a while ago I kept getting low battery in fob errors alongside the RDC failure message, again its intermittent and goes away. I've checked and changed the battery 3 times but still get that message.

There isn't that much info out there on the end-to-end RDC/TPMS system for the G30. Upon investigating I found that MINI's have the same RDC module and found only one report of exactly the same symptoms which turned out to the be the RDC module itself.

As I understand it the system is:

1. TPMS valves in the tires read the pressure and temp
2. TPMS send the values over 433 Mhz frequency to the RDC Antenna somewhere under the car (I have not been able to find it so far)
3. RDC Antenna is wired to the RDC module in the boot/trunk somewhere behind the side panel trim.

I have read the G30 technicians manual back to front and can only see mentions of the RDC module in the back of the car some where and nothing on the antenna, I don't know if its the older BMW's that have the antenna that can get corroded or if the G30 also has an antenna that links to the module itself.

Also found from my research that the RDC module is responsible for Comfort Access too which my car has and it works most of the time but some random times it doesn't acknowledge my key.

Just trying to get to the bottom of this issue and figure what needs replacing and where its located - any advice is very welcome

Lastly there is a mixed consensus on whether or not the RDC module and antenna need coding some say yes, some say no so any info on this would be great too
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 03:10 AM   #2
sdnmedia22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j786 View Post
Hi All, been reading for a very long time but first time posting. I have a 2017 G30 520D X-Drive and for the last 3 years its been pretty flawless but a while ago my tire pressure monitor started intermittently failing. It would come back randomly and then fail again until now where it has completely failed and wont give any tire pressure readings giving RDC Failure message.

Alongside this I have also noticed that a while ago I kept getting low battery in fob errors alongside the RDC failure message, again its intermittent and goes away. I've checked and changed the battery 3 times but still get that message.

There isn't that much info out there on the end-to-end RDC/TPMS system for the G30. Upon investigating I found that MINI's have the same RDC module and found only one report of exactly the same symptoms which turned out to the be the RDC module itself.

As I understand it the system is:

1. TPMS valves in the tires read the pressure and temp
2. TPMS send the values over 433 Mhz frequency to the RDC Antenna somewhere under the car (I have not been able to find it so far)
3. RDC Antenna is wired to the RDC module in the boot/trunk somewhere behind the side panel trim.

I have read the G30 technicians manual back to front and can only see mentions of the RDC module in the back of the car some where and nothing on the antenna, I don't know if its the older BMW's that have the antenna that can get corroded or if the G30 also has an antenna that links to the module itself.

Also found from my research that the RDC module is responsible for Comfort [...]
Did you get this fixed? I’ve got a 2017 540i and the error just appeared whilst driving on the motorway. I rest the tyres, drove aro ins for a bit, and the error has gone. Looks like it’s all working now but I don’t want it to come on and off all the time. I recently had a puncture repaired and they took the tyre off so they might of touched and damaged the tpms sensor by accident.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 12:17 PM   #3
j786
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520D X-Drive

Hey thanks for the reply, I hadn't got mine fixed yet it's still failing. I need to get diagnostics done properly to figure where the point of failure is exactly. How's your issue now?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
SabirMoha93
Rep
Drives: bmw G30

Have you managed to find the rdc module in the boot? as I’m having the same problem and same how my car keys barely work or it says keys missing when I unlock. It’s very weird as to why Tyre sensors might have a connection with the key signal. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Are you sure it's not a mis-identified failure error? The batteries in TPMS sensors don't last forever. I could totally see an RDC failure error really just being that you need to replace your TPMS sensors. Your car is 7 years old, now. Are the TPMSes original? A quick google search says they should last 5-12 yrs (which is a pretty broad range, imo.)
Appreciate 0